Quantcast

2009 Flatline Pro

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I think Uncle Cliffy has one.
:biggrin: Didn't expect to see that when I opened this thread...

I have a 2008 Flatline 3... Pretty happy with it. I haven't been riding it much lately as I got another bike to goof around with, but it's one of the most stable bike's I've been on. Very speed oriented. It's a touch on the heavy side, but I'm looking at dumping some weight as soon as those paychecks start rolling in...:greedy:

The pro for this year looks pretty sweet with the Saint gruppo... Fire away some questions if there's something more specific you're curious about.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just a word of advice... if you get one, don't hit a tree head on. A buddy of mine had one, went more or less straight into a tree out of landing a drop, and bent the frame. That oddball looking spot on the downtube on the hydroforming by the headtube gusset folded.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Just a word of advice... if you get one, don't hit a tree head on. A buddy of mine had one, went more or less straight into a tree out of landing a drop, and bent the frame. That oddball looking spot on the downtube on the hydroforming by the headtube gusset folded.
I remember that....that frame "flatlined" at Plattekill! :biggrin:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Lucky for me, trees have been getting out of my way lately. :redface:

Just curious, did Rocky help your friend out? I'm guessing no...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
words to live by there, guy. pretty sure that's SOP for most frames, but I'm not surprised to see that the hydroformed area foled.
Yea. From what others told me about his crash I don't think many other frames would have come out much better. Just that odd portion of the hydroforming seemed to help it get started.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
he said that he had to go through a Rocky dealer to do anything instead of going right through Rocky Mountain
That's the only thing that turns me off to Rocky.
Tried to contact them to get a new derailleur hanger for my RMX. They said go to a dealer. Got back with them, told them there aren't any in my area, they finally relented and sent them to me direct. Was kind of a pain, but they did come through and I really liked that bike.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Fire away some questions if there's something more specific you're curious about.
thanks,

What size are you riding? Im 6'0 and 200lb and I am used to riding a medium SC bullit.

Do have a weight for your bike? Im not looking for some skinny bike that I am going to tear up every time I crash but I am curoius

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
thanks,

What size are you riding? Im 6'0 and 200lb and I am used to riding a medium SC bullit.

Do have a weight for your bike? Im not looking for some skinny bike that I am going to tear up every time I crash but I am curoius
I'm about 6'2 and 195lbs. I've got the large and it fits me good. I can hammer out of the saddle without wacking my knees on the fork and to me that's important. This bike's going to feel WAY different compared to your Bullit. Longer and lower. My wheelbase measures out to around 47 inches... It's built for speed. If you're doing a lot of wheelie drops and tech lines, it could be a handfull. I took it to Whistler though and it was right at home. :biggrin:

Currently mine sits at 44lbs. I've got a couple boat-anchor parts that I need to swap. Specs currently are:

Marzocchi 888RCV
FOX DHX 5.0
FSA Orbit Z 1.5 headset
Chromag Fubar OSX bars
Saint brakes (old style)
X9 shifter X0 derailleur, XTR cassette
Race Face Evolve DH cranks w/ LG1
Mavic 823's with Hadley hubs
Maxxis Minion DHF/Highroller
SDG Ibeam post and FR seat

Fork, Cranks and shock spring are first on the list to swap. Here's an older pic at about the same weight...

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Do you think I should go for the large or a medium. Thanks for all the info I am definitely going to get one

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
I am 5'10 and the medium fits me perfectly. I think any bigger rider should look at the large frame.

Play around with the geometry settings, you will find it makes a marked difference to the way the bike handles.

Like Uncle Cliffy says the bike is very stable in its default settings at speed and is also a great jumper. Plus its a bit like a Norco, you either love the hydra forming or hate it and any bike hitting a tree is likely to bend (not high on my list of things to do this year though)...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Do you think I should go for the large or a medium. Thanks for all the info I am definitely going to get one
Large. I would only get the medium if your riding area requires a lot of difficult tight turns or you're jumping it more. Problem is, the medium's cockpit may be too cramped. Be safe and get the large. :biggrin: