Quantcast

2009 Gravity East Finals at Plattekill Bike Park-Info-Schedule-Course Pics

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
We will be OPEN FRIDAY THRU MONDAY for practice and recreational riding!!! Rentals and guided tours available all 4 days!

SUPER-SIZED weekend of RIDING and RACING here at Plattekill Mountain next weekend Oct 9-12 as Plattekill hosts NYS Championship Series events in conjunction with the Gravity East Finals with a $5000 Pro cash purse for DH and $1000 Pro cash purse for DS to be awareded to GE Point Series winners! Not too late to rack up the points and podium for this event as the GE Series is awarding double points for their final event!

DUAL SLALOM
This event is the final event in the Plattekill DS series as well as the GE finals. Event will feature 2 timed runs. Qualifiers will take place at 1pm, race at 3pm. $500 in E13 Components to be awarded! PLUS (3) $25 awards from BTX AIR EXPRESS for fastest qualifying times for PRO, AM & WOMEN. ALL are welcome to participate...all ages all abilties!!!
Entry: $40 pro/cat 1, $30 cat 2/3. Enter both DH & DS and take $10 off your combined entry!

DOWNHILL
This event is the second to last DH Plattekill race of the season. Last race is Oct 25 (double Plattekill series points).
This race will feature all new courses for both Pro/Cat 1 and Cat 2/3.
Entry: $70 pro, $60 cat 1, $45 cat 2/3. Entry comes with weekend lift ticket!
CASH PAYOUT: 3 deep -- $20 per racer entry in the Pro class, $10 per racer entry to all Cat 1 classes on the following % ratio: 55/30/15.
Cat2 & Cat3 will receive sponsor-donated prizes

DEALS:
* Anyone who registers to race Friday can get a $10 FRIDAY PRACTICE TICKET
* Anyone who registeres to race over the weekend can get a $5 MONDAY TICKET - just show us your race number!
* Race both DH & DS and save $10 OFF your combined entry
* Recreational riding? Get a 2-day ticket and your second day is just $10!!!!!!!!

WEEKEND Schedule
Friday
10am-5pm Race Practice and recreational riding
ALL-DAY "insiders tour" with Geoff Ulmer - check out seldom ridden trails, big drops and fastest ways down the mtn

Saturday
9am-5pm Race Practice and recreational riding
Morning - course walks down both courses with Geoff Ulmer to chase down winning lines
1pm Dual Slalom Qualifiers
3pm Dual Slalom Race
5pm Awards

Sunday
8am-10:30am Downhill Race Practice
10am-5pm Recreational riding open
11am Downhill race
TBA Awards

Monday
10am-5pm Open for recreational riding

COME ENJOY a great weekend of racing, riding and fall foliage at its peak!!! We'll have a BIG BBQ going all weekend in celebration of Oktoberfest with a surprise chef preparing bbq pulled pork, homemade coleslaw, baked potatoes and more!

We have a large pile of trees for an evening bonfire that have been drying out for months, the size of a 2 car garage!!!

Hope to see you here!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
PRO/CAT 1 COURSE: The Cat 1 course will be steep and steep and steep. Plan on a steep track with loose shale everywhere, classic East Coast Fall Line racing at it's home. This track is all about flow and fun, it will challenge all to keep their momentum going and those that stay off the brakes will be rewarded. The Delta House Crew have done another amazing job with the course. They've added berms and a couple little tweeks to the mountain. You might just see a new huge roadgap on course if all goes right this weekend.

taken in sequence-top to bottom:

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
CAT 2/3 COURSE: The Cat2/3 track is a new course worthy of the GES finals. It features mostly wooded single track, lots of jumps and small drops with go-rounds if needed. There is one challenging rock section, a couple of short pedal sections and it finishes with a short chute at the end. Parts of this track were used for sports/beginners 5 or 6 years ago. It's long and fun, and some Cat3 racers were on it this past weekend and had a ton of fun. Expect times in the 4-5 min range.

Top to Bottom

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
This is gonna be a fun one! Big Ron and I rode the piss out of the GE track at the last race. Great flow and speed witha few fun sections.

Too bad everyone from Buffalo will not be attending due to a local booze fest

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
This is going to be so SUPERSIZED with the courses used, and all that Plattekill has to offer from top to bottom, Food Bonfire, a Final for the GES#11 and who knows what. THIS IS A MUST GO RACE event for sure, I am so excited about this coming weekends events. Shut up and Ride!!!!

Plattekill ROCKS!

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
I like the upper woodwork boys! Good idea, ha-ha.... Seriously though, hats-off to the Delta House crew on both courses. And the new berm on top of the pro/ex is like butter baby, par-k! LONG LIVE PLATTEKILL!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I saw that berm and got worried you all had fruited up my favorite trail. Leave that groomed shizz for Highland, thank you very much. The rest of the trail looks just as tasty as ever.

The cat2 course looks great too, good to see that it wasn't half-assed just because it's not expert.

Planning on attending, sadly I have to race 2/3 to get a cat 1 next year. That upper section on the cat1 course is my favorite on the mountain.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
^^^Whah, u no like a berms? I would have preferred a 12' high wall-ride but beggars.....

You'll be stoked the Cat2/3 course is worthy. Could be an early season pro/ex IMO.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
^^^Whah, u no like a berms? I would have preferred a 12' high wall-ride but beggars.....

You'll be stoked the Cat2/3 course is worthy. Could be an early season pro/ex IMO.
no, I dig berms, but I ride plattekill for awesome, steep, gnarly, east coast trails. When I feel like riding DHBMX I can go elsewhere....which is why I shop at plattekill when the car runs. I wouldn't mind if they had both worlds, but I don't want to see them taking out the gnar and replacing it with polished, brake bump filled tracks that I can ride a scooter down.

good to hear about the cat2. Looks like some of those trails are still a little steep and hairy, so it'll still be good.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I raced the Cat2/3 course long ago when I was a beginner, I didn't cry.......but I had to get my game on. The way it should be in a late season series final.

Want a challenge ?? Ride with Geoff on Friday, he's taking those that want to ride the gnar and hit the big drops with him. Insiders tour sort of.

Last edited:

DHPRO

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
CT
:thumb:Both courses ROCK! The beginner/sport is fast and flowy, really like the second half. Expert is nice and steep and slippery (be best if it rains again!), but I really dont wanna hit those trees again! Good job guys!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Please tell me that there is signage for Jim too
Welcome back to 2008, boys!

I know that course very well! it was last used in the Nov 2005 race when all classes did the same course. This is actually my wife's fav trail, and yes, she rides it better than i do!

Looking forward to it.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Sadly, I haven't been to Plattekill in years... but I'm heading over this weekend! Is there a 'go-to' tire, or does all the loose shale kind of make it pointless?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sadly, I haven't been to Plattekill in years... but I'm heading over this weekend! Is there a 'go-to' tire, or does all the loose shale kind of make it pointless?
gazzi 3.0/15psi.

I've had fair luck with my standard issue Minion 3Cs. Much better than a 2.6 gazzi or tioga, not that it means much.

DHPRO

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
CT
gazzi 3.0/15psi.

I've had fair luck with my standard issue Minion 3Cs. Much better than a 2.6 gazzi or tioga, not that it means much.
If its raining/wet go with Maxxis Swamp Things...otherwise anything will do...

Is that where you've been? Thanks for the call back. :phone:
Sorry...lots of travel. I anticipate wearing my Erie County Detention Center race kit this weekend. Brighter than all the new stuff the kids are wearing that makes them look like they should be climbing out of a VW bug with big red shoes and plate sized lollipops.

I'm not staying the weekend...ride down and back and down and back?

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
practice today on the cat2/3 course was great. It was wet but there was plenty of grip to be found. Can't wait for the race, I think the weather is supposed to clear up and dry out too.

big thanks out to Geoff Ulmer and his Dad, who sold me a tire after I slashed the sidewall of my DHR 2.5 on a rock.

-Kurt

Last edited: