3. Giant = 404
4. Intense = 375
5. Scott = 361
6. Yeti = 359
7. GT = 348
8. Santa Cruz = 324
9. Commencal = 303
10. Merida = 269

There's the top ten, pretty sure it's Whitely who does the points, it's XC, 4x and DH points, specialized dominated...Obviously as they have a solid XC programme, Santa Cruz made the top ten as did Yeti both without XC teams. None of this means much, but it is kinda like the differnece between the teams and constructors trophies in F1 or MotoGP.

As you where.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Interesting, thnx for posting..

kinda like the differnece between the teams and constructors trophies in F1 or MotoGP.
Sounds more like if you combined the points of MotoGP and Motocross(dunno what series would be the equivalent of MotoGP) and then had a constructors trophy..

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Final Standings for the 2009 IMTTO Constructors Championship
1. Specialized = 648
2. Trek = 415
3. Giant = 404
4. Intense = 375
5. Scott = 361
6. Yeti = 359
7. GT = 348
8. Santa Cruz = 324
9. Commencal = 303
10. Merida = 269

There's the top ten, pretty sure it's Whitely who does the points, it's XC, 4x and DH points, specialized dominated...Obviously as they have a solid XC programme, Santa Cruz made the top ten as did Yeti both without XC teams. None of this means much, but it is kinda like the differnece between the teams and constructors trophies in F1 or MotoGP.

As you where.
oh, and women are worth half as much as men. :think:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
1. Specialized = 648
2. Trek = 415
3. Giant = 404
4. Intense = 375
5. Scott = 361
6. Yeti = 359
7. GT = 348
8. Santa Cruz = 324
9. Commencal = 303
10. Merida = 269

As you where.
true but in F1 you cant field more than 2 drivers, so this basically amounts to who has the biggest race program.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
wouldn't it make sense that they be recognized and commended for it somehow?
i see what you are saying, but in my opinion its kind of like buying a championship, which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i see what you are saying, but in my opinion its kind of like buying a championship, which makes a mockery of the whole thing.
yup...

investing money into racing, supporting the best riders, and getting back into DH after being out of the picture for years is making a mockery of the whole thing.

i find it finny that no matter what team or rider comes out on top someone will always find a way to discredit it or knock them down.

numbers don't lie... congrats to specialized for getting what they paid for, and for supporting ALL forms of cycling :thumb:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
yup...

investing money into racing, supporting the best riders, and getting back into DH after being out of the picture for years is making a mockery of the whole thing.

i find it finny that no matter what team or rider comes out on top someone will always find a way to discredit it or knock them down.

numbers don't lie... congrats to specialized for getting what they paid for, and for supporting ALL forms of cycling :thumb:

Yea Specialized numero uno! Way to go Trek as runner up! Thanks for jumping back on the racing can make us money again bandwagon. Until something better comes along.... Congrats!

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It's pretty irrelevant anyway - the best riders would win no matter what bike they were on, especially in XC and road racing. It's not like F1 where they have a team of dozens of engineers who do all the hard yards making the thing go faster. The bike can only help you so much, and I think it's reasonable to say it's a pretty level playing field nowadays and has been for quite some time. Good on Spesh for taking on such a big racing program across various fields though.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
How did Giant place so high? It doesn't seem like they had great results in any discipline men's or women's.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sweet!!! I just cleaned up in our shop's Constructor's Championship Fantasy League!!!!!!!

I kid. Thanks for sharing that, though. It is interesting in a "which companies have the biggest program and better riders" kind of way. I never really thought about it much before this post!

spot on.

i think racing support and developement may be hard to justify in terms of immediate value in the current economy, but it pays dividends in the long run in terms of reputation and technology.

kudos to specialized and trek.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
yup...

While I agree with you to a large extent, what did you really expect? A constructor's championship for bicycle racing based on no-fixed-number teams? Why would anyone care about such a thing anyway?

I think you read into my post a little bit too much there dave. When did i slate Specialized or anyone for that matter for putting money into the sport? or did you just pull that comment out of your ass?

Obviously money into the sport is good, and specialized are doing a good job of doing this, but this constructors championship is still a bit of a farse.

Socket - well summed up.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I think you read into my post a little bit too much there dave. When did i slate Specialized or anyone for that matter for putting money into the sport? or did you just pull that comment out of your ass?

Obviously money into the sport is good, and specialized are doing a good job of doing this, but this constructors championship is still a bit of a farse.

Socket - well summed up.
you said that specialized had the biggest race program and bought a championship, and went on to say this made a mockery of the whole thing.

don't have to read into anything. you are trying to discredit something they earned, or somehow make it seem of less value because they spent more money and fielded bigger and better teams.

not sure how else one would think you were doing anything but slag on specialized?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
you said that specialized had the biggest race program and bought a championship, and went on to say this made a mockery of the whole thing.

don't have to read into anything. you are trying to discredit something they earned, or somehow make it seem of less value because they spent more money and fielded bigger and better teams.

not sure how else one would think you were doing anything but slag on specialized?
Read again, ih8rice said specialized had the biggest program. I said the IMTTO championship basically boils down to who has the biggest race program, which is true. It may as well be called "most money spent championship!" which takes away from the relevance of having such a manufacturers championship if it can be won through volume of team members.

im pretty sure Specialized arent that worried if they won the IMTTO or not, they paid for a large race program, supported alot of riders and put money in the sport, so yes they deserve to reap rewards and will most likely see this through increased sales, good on them.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
1. Specialized = 648
2. Trek = 415
3. Giant = 404
4. Intense = 375
5. Scott = 361
6. Yeti = 359
7. GT = 348
8. Santa Cruz = 324
9. Commencal = 303
10. Merida = 269
Hey Akula, you mention a couple programs with no XC presence, but forgot to mention Intense Cycles in 4th place!

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Hey Akula, you mention a couple programs with no XC presence, but forgot to mention Intense Cycles in 4th place!
Ha yeah, interesting that, they did good, I think a substantial amount of the Intense points must of come from Anneke and Jill in the 4x, as with the exception of Kovarik, they dont have any major point getters, Bryn would have got a few extra had he not been injured I suppose. All irrelivent dribble really, but interesting idea from Martin Whitely and Imtto, I wonder who pushed the idea round first?

Captain23

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Spain
Thanks for all the interest guys. Actually, this is not a competition for the big teams per se as some of you are saying. The UCI already do a Team Competition. Specialized actually scored a lot of points from riders who AREN'T on the Specialized Factory Team. But with great riders like Sam Hill, Brendan Fairclough, Rafa Alvarez, Burry Stander, Christoph Sauser, Lene Byberg and Todd Wells, well, they derserve to have solid points. Likewise, Giant scored points because of the many riders on Giants in 4X, not on their official team. This Constructors Championship was set up by our members at IMTTO (more info about us at www.imtto.com) to recognise the companies whose bikes were being raced at the top level. This means that we are recognising bikes that cross the line in all categories of MTB, at World Cup and Worlds, and many of those were not ridden by pro riders or pro team riders. With 67 different manufacturers on the list (see it here: http://www.imtto.com/news.php) we want to acknowledge those companies that make race proven bikes, and encourage more companies to go racing. That is the role of IMTTO, to promote a healthy race scene...hardly a farse. Thanks for the comments though, this was our first year and we'll refine it for 2010.

Cheers,

Martin Whiteley
President
IMTTO
email: info@imtto.com
www.imtto.com