Quantcast

2009 Manitou Dorado

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
It's a joke right? That looks exactly like an old MRD that has been repainted. SPV? No one would still use that.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
yea, i'm pretty sure that's not an 09. when manitou is producing the travis with ti springs and intrinsic damping that they have poured so much cash into, they're not going to produce an inverted fork with SPV. not to mention, if manitou were to have a test rider for the fork, wouldn't they be using kovarik or one of their reputable racers to really test it? manitou doesn't have any yeti riders, and i doubt they'd toss a proto to an otherwise unknown racer instead of to a world cup competitor.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I call bull****...
i almost want to agree. it looks the same as the last SPV dorado. just gold labels. but it could be back, because HB suspension now owns manitou.
could have sworen they were getting away from standard spv and calling it something else.
plus, that fork would have big prototype stickers on it

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I looked at it and thought:

"One of two things...Hayes doesn't have any new graphics (I mean, DOES have a Revox), or it's a nice joke."

The 06 crowns were anodized, but then again, so were all the other metal parts...looks like someone just went nuts with the custom on a fork not worth it.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
someone just wants a 1 of a kind fork, why would manitouhave two dh forks? also 09??? thats so far ahead it makes it seem even more like a joke

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
someone just wants a 1 of a kind fork, why would manitouhave two dh forks? also 09??? thats so far ahead it makes it seem even more like a joke
Their 08 stuff is out, at least OEM, and it's nothing new. It honestly wouldn't shock me if Hayes did something stupid like reintroduce the Dorito.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the only thing that seems new is the fact it has a sunline stem and not the mrd stem they usually come with. The top crown looks a little different from the usuall dorado one. Although i generally agree on the hoax thing. It seems like some sad person has gone to an awfull lot of trouble to make us believe it

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
also, if it were a prototype or whatever, why wouldn't it have hayes(stroker) brakes on it.
FAKE

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
also, if it were a prototype or whatever, why wouldn't it have hayes(stroker) brakes on it.
FAKE
I agree,also if it was the new dorado why does it not have intrinsic damping + all new sorts off damping adjustments.Also hayes/manitou head than already announce that to the news if they head brought back the dorado for 2009.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I beleive it... Look at the bike, it's very custom. I doubt someone would put so much time into a old worn fork, when they could very well buy a new Travis for the same price.

It's all e-speculation, so I will be happy when 09 comes around.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I love how they included a shot of the seal/stanchion area as if to say, "Look, this one doesn't leak oil!"

Personally, I ain't buying it though. It looks exactly the same as the old one, and aren't those Grimeca brakes? On a bike belonging to someone who supposedly has connections with Hayes? Nah...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Nah the only idiots are the ones reviving another product that should have been left in the past. The only good thing about the dorado was the TPC+ damper and that wasn't something specific to it.

Beyond that it was a relatively heavy chassis that had bucketloads of flex compared to pretty well all conventional forks, and even most of its inverted cousins thanks to the piddly 30/32mm stanchions. Inverts are just a hard design to win with in MTB where weight and stiffness are critical factors.

If they aren't going to offer it in TPC+ (IMO that's the only damper they ever needed) then it's going to be yet another lousy damper in a lousy chassis. At least the travis addressed some of the inherent invert issues just by design, maybe they need to focus on fixing its flaws rather than trying to target a dying fanboy market... but I suppose they have to live up to their reputation somehow! :)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Nah the only idiots are the ones reviving another product that should have been left in the past. The only good thing about the dorado was the TPC+ damper and that wasn't something specific to it.

Beyond that it was a relatively heavy chassis that had bucketloads of flex compared to pretty well all conventional forks, and even most of its inverted cousins thanks to the piddly 30/32mm stanchions. Inverts are just a hard design to win with in MTB where weight and stiffness are critical factors.

If they aren't going to offer it in TPC+ (IMO that's the only damper they ever needed) then it's going to be yet another lousy damper in a lousy chassis. At least the travis addressed some of the inherent invert issues just by design, maybe they need to focus on fixing its flaws rather than trying to target a dying fanboy market... but I suppose they have to live up to their reputation somehow! :)
totally agree with you but maybe they had many many parts just lying around and they chose to hype it and sell say a few hundred instead of just throwing the parts out?

new administration - new broom ?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That bike is in the HAYES booth?
The logo on those brakes look like they say 'GUSTAV'???
I have not seen a new hayes brake in a long time, but look like maguras to me. In a hayes booth, that would be weird.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
That bike is in the HAYES booth?
The logo on those brakes look like they say 'GUSTAV'???
I have not seen a new hayes brake in a long time, but look like maguras to me. In a hayes booth, that would be weird.
Yeah. Really wierd since Hayes owns Manitou now.
Almost as wierd as Sram debuting the new RS and Avid stuff.

theg1ant

Monkey
Oct 20, 2006
Atlanta
dont the older dorados also have a plastic ring around the lowers that helps hold the stanction guard on? I didnt see it in the pics of the new one. Im not sure if i believe it or not but if its true im excited to see how it turns out