Quantcast

2009 Manitou Dorado

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
WHHHHHAAAAATTTTTT THE DORADO COST ALMOST 4000 DOLLARS. THAT IS F*CKING RIDICULOUS

serously, wtf. might as well have called it a concept because you'd have to be a schmuck to buy a fork that costs as much as some bikes.

once again manitou fails to impress me. that fork better come with a mechanic to service it everyday and a prostitute just cause

oh, i nearly forgot, a lifetime supply of bacon too

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
hahahaahahahh......thats hilarious.....seriously...they make brakes for harley davidson, and somehow they are being ousted by puny bike companies.....what a joke
Harley Davidson bikes aren't exactly revered for their performance and engineering qualities. Hayes fit right in.

The new Dorado was promising with the reintroduction of the excellent TPC damper and shaved weight, but that pricetag is joke especially considering their current market position and reputation.

There's a lot of ex-Manitou owners still with a bitter taste from the last time Manitou released a "superfork". Nail in the coffin I reckon.

Oct 14, 2007
The truth is:

Now let’s keep it real, even if the Dorado does work flawlessly, it still won’t raise Manitou’s status in the fork echelon. The key to Manitou’s survival is to re-establish themselves on the OE market. Manitou should focus on frying “bigger fishes” rather than trying to target a dying fan based market.

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Wow!

I dont know where all of you get your facts but come on now. The fork is still in PROTO phase and the est. MSRP is still yet TBD. As of today 9-15-08 the MSRP is $2775 in US dollars. If you have question about the fork and want proper data please call the CS line for HBG. 888-686-3472

D

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wow!

I dont know where all of you get your facts but come on now. The fork is still in PROTO phase and the est. MSRP is still yet TBD. As of today 9-15-08 the MSRP is $2775 in US dollars. If you have question about the fork and want proper data please call the CS line for HBG. 888-686-3472

D
as of today, thats $1300 overpriced

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
In order to be worth anywhere near what these prices are it would have to be the most ridiculous fork every produced by man. Lighter stronger and smoother with the essentially perfect damping - and I don't think it is going to be necessarily any of these.

sure its pretty and made from CF, but honestly, 4 grand? A bit ridiculous.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As of today 9-15-08 the MSRP is $2775 in US dollars.
Is this a package deal and you get a Revox with Ti spring, a set of Sun wheels and a set of Hayes brakes for free when you buy the fork? Just wondering because the price is WAY out there compared to a Boxxer WC or a Fox 40. :imstupid:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow!

D
I'm guessing by your handle you're actually from the company, so first off thanks for chiming in with some facts. Its always nice to have more industry people on the boards.

Second off, I agree with the sentiment a lot of people are feeling here... the MSRP for the new Dorado (albeit in proto phase) is as much or more than most frames cost brand new. While I think its cool that you're trying to resurrect one of the better products that Mantiou produced prior to their purchase by HBG (this could be argued, everyone I talked to said they were the best fork their ever felt - when they worked. Which wasn't all the time, and was their downfall), you are going to be hard pressed to get people to drop that much change on a product from a company with history of hit-or-miss performance.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
What's wrong with the travis? i dunno, the chassis is stiff as hell, reliable so far (chassis wise), maybe with some refinements in the damping and a air spring to save some weight it coudl be a serius Boxxer contender.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What's wrong with the travis? i dunno, the chassis is stiff as hell, reliable so far (chassis wise), maybe with some refinements in the damping and a air spring to save some weight it coudl be a serius Boxxer contender.
consistency... a friend back east twisted the lowers on his within like 2 or 3 months of getting it. He's by no means a hack rider, nor was it an exceptional crash. He just washed out in a berm (or something like that). Definitely something that shouldn't have twisted the lowers...

edit: he's not a heavy dude either... maybe around 200?

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
i like how you can still buy an 05 dorado brand new. maybe they should not focus on superforks and go oe. either way i won't be purchasing one. just swap the fork if its oe.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13646-315_ANSDH5-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Manitou-Dorado-DH-Suspension-Fork-2005.htm

So are you saying a 05 Boxxer is just like the 09 Boxxer? Or are you saying a 05 888 is just like the 09 888?

There is nothing the same from the 05 Dorado to the 09 Dorado. Please do your research and tell me thats its the same fork.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So are you saying a 05 Boxxer is just like the 09 Boxxer? Or are you saying a 05 888 is just like the 09 888?

There is nothing the same from the 05 Dorado to the 09 Dorado. Please do your research and tell me thats its the same fork.
Don't let yourself get caught up in some of the petty drama here (which I'm most certainly guilty of :D ).

Again as I posted earlier, I'm guessing you are actually an employee at one of the places owned by HBG, yes?

I was actually kinda stoked to see the dorado coming back, until I saw the price tag. Seeing as how Manitou was purchased by HBG, I was hoping to see a revival of the brand, and a great improvement in consistency. Granted, Hayes brakes aren't the cream of the crop, but they're nothing if not consistent. I've seen Hayes brakes that hadn't been bled in 2 years still performing well. I'm really hoping that HBG can bring this to Manitou. I've felt and ridden (but not owned) a lot of Manitou products over the years. When they were working properly, they felt downright amazing. But for every Manitou fork/shock I rode that felt great, I rode one that felt like crap (possible error comes in here, with a bad tune) and heard another story of catastrophic failure. I used to turned wrenches with a guy who broke 6 Manitou forks in a row. Mantiou, to me, has always been the company I've wanted to love, but just couldn't because of the lack of consistency. Is this being addressed now that HBG has taken over? I really hope so, because if they step it up the way SRAM did with RockShox, I would definitely purchase their stuff in the future. But $2700? Unfortunately no.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
^^:stupid: Having had good luck with Manitou products I was stoked to see the new Dorado. But with this MSRP it is not a contender IMO. You can pick up any other fork and send it out for tuning and still have money left to buy a CCDB....with ti spring!

May 25, 2006
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the MSRP on the Boxxer WC at least used to be $2400... but they all seemed to sell for 1600 if not less. This tentative pricing can definitely instill sticker shock, but not point going crazy about it until things are closer to being finalized... and even then it is still a bit premature.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I know of a team on Manitou with huges boxes filled with new forks. They go through them fast enough to need this many.

Also look closely at Hayes-sponsored athletes/teams. Black marker anyone?

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Production starts Jan. and will be available to the market the end on Jan. and early Feb.

Dave,

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Manitou concentrating on the OE market was what screwed the pooch - just as Shimano concentrating on the OE market lead to them loosing ground in the aftermarket.

I remember reading about some sort of "service package" that was supposed to justify the extra cost - deeper warranty coverage, custom tuning before it arrived to you - that kind of thing?
HBGCS - any comment?

Criticising them based on price is like criticising Intense for making V10s that cost too much money.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I don't think it was Manitou concentrating on the OE market that screwed them at all. It was producing astoundingly ****ty forks for the OE market that screwed them. How many Stance forks leaked right out of the box, or just didn't work?

For me, Manitou has ALWAYS been a miss company. I've owned a few forks from them, and have yet to feel one thats as good as other forks available. I had a 2000 Millenium that was junk, and turned its own internal wiper inside out. I had a Nixon that blew threw its travel, but only once you got past the harsh air seal. And it leaked. And it sucked. But it was light.

I can't even be bothered about the rest.

What I find puzzling is why there havent' been other forks that have "leaked" onto the web. Attacking the super high end DH market just doesn't seem like the smart way to come back, but that could just be me.

I wish them luck, but I think its gonna be fun to watch to be honest.