Quantcast

2009 Marzocchi 66 ATA, or RC3

rv55

Chimp
Feb 4, 2008
I made the mistake of buying a 2008 55R about 4 months ago and that was was a disaster. After several repairs Marzocchi seems to agree to sell a 66 while giving me a full refund for the 55R. So I try to decide which 66 to take. Looking at the specs, the 66 ATA looks very tempting compared the 66 RC3. It has all those adjustments and is 374 g lighter. But I read here about the wind down problem and others in the 66 ATA. Are those problems solved in th 2009 model? As well, the horrible quality I saw in the 55R may be a factor to consider. Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Have a friend running the rc3 and likes it. No problems so far. I have an 08 66ata coming in the mail tomorrow. I have the 888 ata and I love it. The ability to fie tune it is amazing. I never thought I'd run all air forks but I'm sold. They do require more maintenance though. The travel adjust is just icing on the cake.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
IMO, if you don't need to lower the travel of the fork for climbing, or adjusting your head angle, get the RC3. Granted, the issues with auto wind-down seem to be an issue of the past, but there is no replacing the feel of a coil sprung fork, with the RC3 damping.
The ata model will still suffer performance wise; end of stroke characteristics change with a change in travel. That is an inherit deficit of the ata cartridge.

ColoradoDirt

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
What is your riding style? FR Shuttle.. FR Pedal.. Long days in the saddle.. Is this for your park bike or FR XC bike? If you pedal for your turns more than 50% of the time and you weigh less that 195 lbs, I would go ATA. If your the opposite, get the RC3X. The issue with the travel self adjusting has been remedied. The knob now locks in place and you must pull up on it to adjust the travel. Both forks are sick, so is Marzocchi. A 3 year warranty is the bomb and untouchable by the other fork companys. So buy one with conviction. Ride on........

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I just picked up an 08 ata 66 and slapped it on my sxtrail a few days ago. I already have the 888 ata 08 and love it. That's why I picked up the 66 ATA. The ability to wind down the travel is key. I just got back from a ride up in the deep woods of Washington with a long steep road climb followed by a gnarly long decent. Being able to dial it down allows me to climb up much easier and the down was amazing. The air fork has an uncanny ability to swallow landings. Coming down today I felt the fork outclassing my dhx5 in the back. I've never had that happen with previous forks. If you don't mind spending some time getting the air settings right you will be rewarded. I also removed the PAR chamber on it when I rebuilt it a few days ago. Money money money.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
ok. the 2009 is a sweeeeeeet fork yesterday i have a 3hour downhill session on a rocky steep fast track!!! :weee:
but whats up with the rc3 air chamber do this need more air??

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
for my wight i need 110psi par and 80psi air but cant use 180mm only 160mm, the par is to firm.. but cant let out more air otherwise the sag is 50mm.. any idea:think:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
A reduction of only a few PSI makes a big difference. Just keep fiddling with the pressures. Make sure you don't have your compression all the way cranked as well (open).

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
RC3 all the way. Had an RC2 888 loved it but down sized to a 07SxT with a 66 rc2 loved that then went to an 08 66 RC3 and still love it but hearing all the problems with 09 Marzocchi products and lousy QC I would buy a ToTem instead. I have gone over to a RS pike coil u-turn on my geared ht and love it and an X-Fusion Velvet on my 24" ss which I am still breaking in.

May 14, 2010
Still having play at the top of the rebound on my 55 ata and my 66 RC3, both 2008, which I assume is the issue. when i rock the front end back and forth i get about a 1/4" play in the fork and while riding I get a knocking at the top of the rebound. still have yet to take it apart and see if i can solve the problem. anyone else have that issue with these marzocchis?? going back to my fox :(

BIGSTIXXX

Chimp
Mar 18, 2010
austin
i ordered the $399.99 '09 rc3 from jenson, should be here wed!!!!
its going on my '05 stinky with dangerboy "6-"7 rockers....last fork on it was an '06 drop off triple....should be a REAL difference, cant wait to post a review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yoll love it, the 09s had alot of the 08 issues worked out plus a 3 year warranty and the updating to newer stuff for replacements means no worries. Marz has been great on all this and congrats thats a smokin price I may pick one up for my single crown ventures ie BB and other limited resorts and freeride.... Post pics when its in...