Quantcast

2009 mongoose dh&ss bike ???

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Those look pretty nice........really nice in fact.
I wonder if Mongoose will ever fully recover.................hell I remember back in the day when Iron Horse was kinda crappy, and now they are everywhere.

First sweet BMX ride I ever got had the honeycomb mag wheels........

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That linkage still makes me think it would be super hard on the knees. aren't your feet moving w/ the suspension?
What? NO.
Seriously man...why would peeps rave over their suspensions if they did something like that?? The BB isn't attached to the swing arm, the swing arm kinda floats up and around it. NO chain growth. I just sold my Black Diamond to make room for my ECD and I'll say one thing: As long as that suspension is on a Mongoose, I'm a Mongoose rider for life. I've ridden everything I can stick my butt on before the owners catch me and this is it. PHENOMENAL!
It's kinda wierd...I can ride the same trails I rode all summer long on my old SX Trail, my Demo 8, and my Yeti asX before those...and I'm just not as tired when I get back to the truck. They just go. The only other thing comparable that I've ridden is my hardtail! And I'm not sponsored by Mongoose, not on the Tribe, I just love the bikes. And run a few googles on em...I couldn't even find a RUMOR of a broken one.
I've never heard of the two shown above, but the Khyber is AWESOME, and I'm curious to see more on the Nugget. Tell me THAT wasn't a Romy inspired name!
The suspension looks really crazy, but you have to see it in your hands, there's nothing to it. The Demo 8 was 3 times as strange. And a parking lot bounce-check doesn't cut it. However...jump on one and try to SPRINT across the parking lot! THEN you'll believe!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Those look pretty nice........really nice in fact.
I wonder if Mongoose will ever fully recover.................hell I remember back in the day when Iron Horse was kinda crappy, and now they are everywhere.

First sweet BMX ride I ever got had the honeycomb mag wheels........
Unfortunately, Ironhorse sounds like it's headed back to the crapper as it wasn't the bike, it was the DW designed suspension and a bunch of Sam Hill wannabes that took them to the top. And DW is now liscensing his design to the ________ company.
And those wheels were the MotoMags, baby! Heavy as hell and as tough as a four dollar whore on Twofer Tuesdays...
I've still got one in the basement that I want to make into a damn lamp...just can't make myself do it. And the wife says she'll toss it...

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
i dont why ,but it is the right link.
go to pb photo section ,type "pinn'r" at the search window ,go to one of the pics and look at the album name/creator (should say "stund").

hope you'll see it.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Unfortunately, Ironhorse sounds like it's headed back to the crapper as it wasn't the bike, it was the DW designed suspension and a bunch of Sam Hill wannabes that took them to the top. And DW is now liscensing his design to the ________ company.
And those wheels were the MotoMags, baby! Heavy as hell and as tough as a four dollar whore on Twofer Tuesdays...
I've still got one in the basement that I want to make into a damn lamp...just can't make myself do it. And the wife says she'll toss it...
Damn.........your sooo right LOL thats funny........The MotoMags.........I loved that bike, got it on christmas day and there was snow and ice outside............my folks told me i shouldnt go out.........but I had to..............wiped out on the ice first time out.......man I loved that bike.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Is there much else different other than the paint job?
just about everything.....

the down tube is now a single tube.

the swing link is redesigned with smoother lines and only a single shock placement.

all of the tube's on the bike are reshaped for strength and weight savings.

the linkage bearings are different.

the seat mast that wraps around the shock is completely different.

the 08 line is really good ....but we have really stepped it up on the 09 once again, and last week had our first test for possible 2010 stuff!

everyone at Mongoose is super dedicated to making this one of the premier brands on the market.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Form follows function...But I can garantee that the Commencal doesn't sprint like a Goose. The Freedrive system isn't just a gimmick, it's the real deal.
I have no doubts that Mongoose is going to become a big player very soon. They just gotta update that website....

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
just about everything.....

the down tube is now a single tube.

the swing link is redesigned with smoother lines and only a single shock placement.

all of the tube's on the bike are reshaped for strength and weight savings.

the linkage bearings are different.

the seat mast that wraps around the shock is completely different.

the 08 line is really good ....but we have really stepped it up on the 09 once again, and last week had our first test for possible 2010 stuff!

everyone at Mongoose is super dedicated to making this one of the premier brands on the market.
This is what I am beginning to really like about Mongoose....passion, cutting edge, and someone like EC pushing the company to push the envelope!!! Fortunately I work at a shop that carries the 'goose (I'll let you guess which one!), but from my experiences with them thus far, I'm fairly confident in saying that Mongoose is on the verge of blowing up in much the same fashion as Iron Horse did a few years ago. Look at the facts: proven suspension designs, constant tweaking/rethinking of designs, passionate individuals running the company (yes, Pacific!), and an ambassador/living legend like EC that the company respects, understands, and works closely with to ensure a great end product for the end customer at an amazingly good deal.

One way or another, be it a new trail bike or a new dh rig, I have vowed to get on a Mongoose this year!!!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
What? NO.
Seriously man...why would peeps rave over their suspensions if they did something like that?? The BB isn't attached to the swing arm, the swing arm kinda floats up and around it. NO chain growth.
So you're telling me that when the suspension moves on big hits, the bottom bracket doesn't move? There's a pivot in there that tells me different. I understand that there's no chain growth, since the BB moves with the suspension, it's easy for there not to be, and that's not really my question. What I want to know is if you notice the BB moving on big hits. From what I can see, if you're standing on the pedals, your legs have to absorb quite a bit more shock than on a more traditional bike.

I'm not trying to hate on mongoose or anything, and to tell the truth, the price and parts spec make me want to like the bike. I just have no place to test ride one around here and eyeballing the frame with my armchair e-engineer skills over here makes me a little unsure.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
So you're telling me that when the suspension moves on big hits, the bottom bracket doesn't move? There's a pivot in there that tells me different. I understand that there's no chain growth, since the BB moves with the suspension, it's easy for there not to be, and that's not really my question. What I want to know is if you notice the BB moving on big hits. From what I can see, if you're standing on the pedals, your legs have to absorb quite a bit more shock than on a more traditional bike.
It is based off of the GT I-drive system. I have had 2 different DHi's over the years and I have never felt the BB moving. You dont absorb any more of the hit with your legs than you would on any other bike. It is not like the old Y type bikes at all. The BB moves, but it is independent of the suspension, not part of the swing arm

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Damn, Steezy! You heartless bastard!

bdamschen All we can do is strongly encourage you to find one and ride it. A ****ing case of Redbull says you will smile. Seriously. And the only thought in your head while you're rippin back and forth a parking lot or something will be "what the hell???!" Cuz that's what I did. And won't really know the suspension is doing anything spectacular until you really get haulin. Every lip or ledge is a booter, the bike pumps fantastically and it's whisper quiet the whole time. I've heard people say that it isn't as plush as a V10 or M3, etc on the small, tight jittery courses, that to get the bike to really work on that stuff, just try gapping more of it. It seems to really like the larger moves versus stuttering along. By the end of this summer I'm going to be smoother and faster.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I'm not too biased against one company or another. I was just going by what I had worked out in my head as to how the suspension moved. Thanks Denjen for clearing that up for me.

I did own a bike with the gt idrive system, so if it's similar, that sounds like a bike I'd like to try out. Too bad there's no mongoose dealers or anyone with an ec-d for like 60 miles.

Steezy and Thrill- Maybe they're great bikes and all, but you guys aren't really backing up all your stoke for them very well. If I had just your posts to go on, I'd write it off as just a bunch of Mongoose owning fanboys who say the bike is great just cause they own one.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
First off, how is not loving the **** out of them not enough backing? I had to pay money for mine like everyone else did. I started off in the exact same boat as you, skeptical and ignorant. But I read a little review a guy on here posted about it, knew EC's rep from every magazine since I was 12 and knew he knew his ****. He designed the suspension and put his name on the frame. THEN I started digging...and diging...and digging. Try it yourself. Try to find some pics or some mumblings about broken Mongoose bikes. HOWEVER be sure to find out WHICH frames are broken! It's usually the "other" side of the Mongoose wall. Seriously try it. I found over a dozen trashed and shredded bottle rockets, which were my other choice at the time, tons of intense frames, on and on. But not a single busted black diamond or ECD. I'm sure they're out there, but they're not on the net, or I didn't look in the right place. You WILL find stuff about the "weak pivots." It's not the pivots. It's the bad choice of hardware for a few years. It was a weak, two-piece design that was also made from soft metal, and used in the 07 and older models. You can either find the 08 pivot bolts, or run to your hardware store and buy a bolt with the right amount of shank on it, trim off 7/8" of an inch off the bolt and use a thin nyloc nut. Done. I bought grade9 military spec bolts just cuz I'm a tard.

I'm pretty baffled as to what you expect me to say or do. I AM nothing more than a fan. Should I drive there and force you to ride one at gunpoint? I mean what do you expect me to do?? Geez dude. I'm only a guy on a bike that I feel is 100% better than anything else I've ever owned, and I replace my bikes every year in January out pure boredom and simple curiosity to try something new. The Black Diamond I had was just a taste...I sold it right away and just bought my ECD. I'm now desparately seeking a way to get an EX-C and next fall I'd like to get a newer ECD. I can't imagine finding anything as well thought out, as attractively priced, or simply as efficient as a Mongoose Freedrive suspension.
However... I DID have this dream the other night about the Freedrive system bolted to the back of a gearbox....

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
First off, how is not loving the **** out of them not enough backing? I had to pay money for mine like everyone else did. I started off in the exact same boat as you, skeptical and ignorant.
Like I said before, I don't really have a bias toward one company or the other, as long as the bike works. The only thing I was skeptical and igorant about was the way the rear sus. pivoted(I wish mongoose would throw something up on their website like yeti did with the 303 where you could see an animation of the suspension move). I've never seen one in action nor ridden one, so instead I have to ask questions on the internet.

When I did ask questions, all I got back was how I must be biased (when in reality I couldn't give a frosty rat's @ss) toward mongoose because of their past walmart bikes. All I really wanted to know was something telling me how the bike worked.

Prior to this thread the only guys I've seen talk these bikes up are you and EC, and lets face it, EC sorta has a vested interest in these bikes.

They sound fun though. How much does your build weigh/is it the stock build?

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I had one of the first BD3 frames out there and the thing rode so well. I sold it for a Canfiled F1 and think I should go back to a ECD. The thing pedels well and is great to ride. I keep thinking its the shock on my F1 but its the frame. If I could get a ECD for the same price as my CRMO F1 I might do it but I cant.
VM

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, "ignorant" wasn't meant to sound so harsh, but I mean that's basically what it is: ya just don't know. But don't ask questions if you're just going to downplay what people say anyway. You asked, we answered. Also, you HAVE to understand that ALL Mongoose riders are probably getting sick and tired of hearing the SAME DAMN SONG of
"Shiii...I've had like six Mongooses and every one of them busted on the first jump. And Walmart wouldn't refund my money anymore."
NOT THE SAME BIKES!!!
Chevy makes the Geo and the Corvette. Same car? Personally I'd rather have the Geo, but different story.
No one can TELL you the suspension is just peachy cuz you've already got your own opinions. You'll have to break yourself free of them to see the bike. It's just a really neat way to eliminate chaingrowth and feedback, put serious traction to the ground, no brake jack, and still pedal like it does with 8" of travel. Plus they jump nicely!
And as far as BB moving, yeah, it LOOKS like it moves around, and technically it does, but it's just like every other bike, Everything just kind of rotates around it(if you imagine the BB stationary), but nothing actually feels like it changes places. Hell, if anything...I can't feel the suspension moving at all. I felt more motion on my SX Trail.
As forthe build, I don't know yet... My ECD is in the mail on it's way to me! But my Black Diamond was fairly hefty. About 42 pounds. I was pretty bummed as I like sub-40 pound bikes. BUT...I did have 2ply Michelin tires, Diabolus cranks, and heavy tubes in, not to mention dual rings and a full DRS chainguide. I have NO idea what to expect an ECD to weigh. But I WILL get it sub 40. Starting with my new Azonic Scandium bars that arrived today! :thumb:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I had one of the first BD3 frames out there and the thing rode so well. I sold it for a Canfiled F1 and think I should go back to a ECD. The thing pedels well and is great to ride. I keep thinking its the shock on my F1 but its the frame. If I could get a ECD for the same price as my CRMO F1 I might do it but I cant.
VM
Say wha...? Yeah you can! Zutroy's sellin his 06 ECD pretty damn cheap, PM him!
Ya know...that brings up another point...anyone ever met anyone who had a Mongoose and DIDN'T like it? I haven't yet. Lots of people wanting one back though. That says a lot to me...?

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
Ive ridden a handful of bikes out there (big names in the industry) and i have not been on a bike that performs the way the EC-D does. Hop on one and have your mind blown and then have your mind blown over how much your going to pay to add one to the stable :thumb: