Quantcast

2009 mongoose dh&ss bike ???

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
Yeaa the angle kind of does that. Yea all the orange on the bike was really getting to me so i went over alot of the bike and got rid of it. I feel it really cleaned up the look just being black, grey, and white. Plus i get extremely bored having all this snow on the ground :disgust1:

atwalker6

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
lap dance?sure, but if you meant lap top im going to have to pass being im pretty much glued to one in my dorm room doing papers and labs...

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
So you're telling me that when the suspension moves on big hits, the bottom bracket doesn't move? There's a pivot in there that tells me different. I understand that there's no chain growth, since the BB moves with the suspension, it's easy for there not to be, and that's not really my question. What I want to know is if you notice the BB moving on big hits. From what I can see, if you're standing on the pedals, your legs have to absorb quite a bit more shock than on a more traditional bike.

I'm not trying to hate on mongoose or anything, and to tell the truth, the price and parts spec make me want to like the bike. I just have no place to test ride one around here and eyeballing the frame with my armchair e-engineer skills over here makes me a little unsure.
Yes your feet move....no you don't feel it...it is a different feel but you don't get off the bike and think man my feet are swinging all over the place.

In a nut shell...these bikes are designed to be very responsive and nimble...they pedal and corner excellent....

they have capable suspension but i wouldn't call it a plow bike.....if you like to lean back and hang on and aren't worried about sprinting and or cornering then i'm sure there is some ginormious suspension bike that can do things better....

these bikes have a very fun and nimble feel that as you can see by others response's...not my biased one...are a lot of fun to ride.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
funny...that is the color of one of the 08 BD's this year!

Yeah, I know....now! I think I got that done about riiiiight when the 08s started popping up. Ironically, I was PLANNING of PCing it Candy Gold(like the BD2!) but my PC guy vanished, so I polished it instead! So you'd nailed down 2 of my colors!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Personally I'd rather see bigger bearings,fatter swingarm,an idler in stead of the floating BB trip. But non the less,the Gooses are definetly far nicer bikes than most of the bikes offered by the big brands. I love my little EC Dual goose. High pivots where it's at. The BB gag doesn't have any benefit in my opinion,it'd make the little swingarm stiffer,but so would a fatter swingarm and bearings.
Get one,you'll love it.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Any input on either the Khyber or Teocali?

I'm looking for a do-it-all bike, something I putt around xc on with friends and the girlfriend, but then also take out for some epic/technical rides as well. Lots of riding spots here in VA/WV/MD have tons of climbing, but even better downhills. Looking for something that is good both up and down.....jack of all trades, master of none.

I'm inclined to think the Teocali Super, but then again I can't get a Khyber out of my mind. Would also like to use the bike for some Super D racing, or even smaller course dh racing where my dh bike is just to much.

Anyone got any experience with either????

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
Any input on either the Khyber or Teocali?

I'm looking for a do-it-all bike, something I putt around xc on with friends and the girlfriend, but then also take out for some epic/technical rides as well. Lots of riding spots here in VA/WV/MD have tons of climbing, but even better downhills. Looking for something that is good both up and down.....jack of all trades, master of none.

I'm inclined to think the Teocali Super, but then again I can't get a Khyber out of my mind. Would also like to use the bike for some Super D racing, or even smaller course dh racing where my dh bike is just to much.

Anyone got any experience with either????
I would go with the Khyber. I have been using this bike to train for my 2008 season here at home riding everything from long brutal xc rides to shuttling some of my favorite dh runs. I also have been racing the whole fontana winter DH series on the bike. And like you said you are looking for, It is the jack of all trades. This bike is tons of fun and i think if you go with the khyber you will have a bike that handles a broader range of riding. It rips!

-John

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I would go with the Khyber. I have been using this bike to train for my 2008 season here at home riding everything from long brutal xc rides to shuttling some of my favorite dh runs. I also have been racing the whole fontana winter DH series on the bike. And like you said you are looking for, It is the jack of all trades. This bike is tons of fun and i think if you go with the khyber you will have a bike that handles a broader range of riding. It rips!

-John
That's what I have been thinking or at least keep talking myself into lately. However, my only concern is the weight of the entire package. I'm not a weight weenie by any means, but I really suck at climbing and my local xc stuff is pretty tame. I only ride it on the weekdays cause it's hell to get any farther out (metro Washington DC traffic is a nightmare)......but I also don't want a bike that is lacking when it comes time to hit up the tech stuff.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So I just went and checked out the Khyber on the 'goose website.....wow kick ass sounding bike! Any idea what the super weighs in at?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yes your feet move....no you don't feel it...it is a different feel but you don't get off the bike and think man my feet are swinging all over the place.

In a nut shell...these bikes are designed to be very responsive and nimble...they pedal and corner excellent....

they have capable suspension but i wouldn't call it a plow bike.....if you like to lean back and hang on and aren't worried about sprinting and or cornering then i'm sure there is some ginormious suspension bike that can do things better....

these bikes have a very fun and nimble feel that as you can see by others response's...not my biased one...are a lot of fun to ride.

Since I'm not a fan of plow bikes, and I do like something quick and flickable, I may have to go find somewhere that has an 08 in stock to test ride... although I'd probably wait for the 09s since the frame looks way sexier in the spy shots.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
isn't that what's on the first page of this thread? Isn't one of those frames the 09 ecd?
No, two totally different bikes. From what I can tell, and please correct me if I'm wrong!(I know someone will...), isn't that two versions of the same bike? And are the two in the first post versions of the Khyber, or completely separate bikes? I might have to go look again...

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
The one on the left looks a bit more burly then the one on the right, though this might just be from the picture. The one on the left looks like it has codes on it so i dont think its a khyber, maybe a BD or EC-D. Think the one on the right...well i dunno about the one on the right.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Yeah, I was thinking the one on the left was the next incarnation of the EC-D since it's got a dual crown boxer and dhx on it. It looks pretty burly.

The one on the right has a totem, which I would think is a little big for a Khyber, so I figured it was something like a black diamond.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well they're gonna be spec'd with Romaniuks sponsors parts, not as the showroom floor version! He's backed by Rock Shox and Syncros, and I think Avid, but I really have no idea.
It looks to me to be the exact same frame, built for different purposes, one for rippin and one for trickin...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Possibly, but a dhx coil is a little heavy for a khyber and the boxxer is way too much travel for a 6" bike.

Same goes for the totem on the other bike.

I'm guessing the one on the right is a 7" travel bike and the one on the left is 7 or 8"?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Even if it IS the Khyber, the Khyber isn't a pussy little XC bike! It's a burly little machine, and it's a 6.5" travel bike in stock form, it wouldn't take much more shock to pop the BB height up over 14" and add another inch of travel. It's plenty of bike!

And People are slapping Totems on the TBC tankass BottleRocket every friggin day. Hell, I've seen NUMEROUS BRs with 888s on em.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thrillseeka remember what you wrote:

"Just to clarify, I don't ride IH so this doesn't bother me either way, just hate trends, but moreso the people who follow them blindly."

We get it you love the Goose but its almost like you love it blindly :twitch:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Harhar...(I edited out the "you're an idiot" part...).
Please...someone... tell me when riding a Mongoose became a trend? I mean, really.
I didn't buy this bike because some guy winning stuff rides one, did I? I actually grew up on Mongoose bikes and still have most of the parts to put one back together!
Please explain, I'd like to hear your reasoning that I'm "blindly loving the bike I ride..."

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I didn't buy this bike because some guy winning stuff rides one, did I?
*cough* EC *cough*

heh, just giving you a hard time.

I still say it's a big travel extra beefy bike and that the Khyber is just the first mongoose to be released with that styling and now more will follow. I don't think Romaniuk would be riding nothing but a bunch of 6.5" travel bikes with different long travel forks on them when he could also have an EC-D for the big stuff.

To you rabid mongoose fan's credit though. Now I'm kinda excited on these bikes and I want to try one. Think they'll have anything other than the teocali to test ride at sea otter this year? :lighten:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I actually started looking into the Goose cuz EC designed the suspension, not just rode the bike. And for a suspension to continue on, unchanged, for the time it has says quite a bit. HOWEVER...I gotta say there's been some bad exposure on it, or actually, a significant LACK of any. The ECD's been out for how many years and it's being treated like a new discovery! Glad it's getting it's day in the sun, but it's been too long in the making. I think Sicklines' review of it last year had a LOT to do with that.

I don't really understand how factory riders and sponsorships work, but it sounds to me like Steve was basically brought on board STRICTLY to expose the freeride side of Mongoose, via Drop In, vids, etc. Perhaps they wanted a known big-hit rider to maul the smaller bikes to show their worthiness. It seems like Mongoose is very clear on each bike's intended purpose.

And bdamschen, can't you get to a race or two down there, there should be prob finding an ECD and I'm pretty sure you can count on the owner not minding you checking it out.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Steezy-
It was Andrew Cho, and he was running a Fox 40. He said so himself in the comments.
Go to Stinkdyke in the vids and search for Khyber.

EDIT: Steezy, I misread your comment. Guess we'll just have to wait, unless BC will fill us in...? But I'm thinkin he ducked out a while ago... :)

And I need to quit babblin on this thread now, I've crossed the boundry of what I know and what I assume.
I'll stick to what I know: I love the Freedrive system on the Mongoose bicycles. It's the most highly underrated bicycle suspension I've ever ridden and it fills the void I've been looking to fill since I've been riding.
I am absolutely stoked that my ECD will arrive within a week. Now it just needs it's own custom color...thinking satin black and ano'd orange components...? Never seen a black ECD!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
e-fights are dope

the wc cant be set to 7" like 40s, so it would be a little much for a khyber. in the picture, the left bike is a dh bike, ecd or watever is to come.
steez.....the WC can be set to 7 but i'm not sure how? i just know we have had rock shox do it.

in 09 the ECD line will go away ...for DH it will be called the booter...the ECX will be called the nugget.

the bike on the right is not a Khyber unless it is an 09 version that i haven't seen...which is entirely possible.... the rear end on both bikes are the same and that is not a current Khyber rear end so i'm thinking it's either the new slope style bike for 09 or another Booter

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I actually started looking into the Goose cuz EC designed the suspension, not just rode the bike. And for a suspension to continue on, unchanged, for the time it has says quite a bit. HOWEVER...I gotta say there's been some bad exposure on it, or actually, a significant LACK of any. The ECD's been out for how many years and it's being treated like a new discovery! Glad it's getting it's day in the sun, but it's been too long in the making. I think Sicklines' review of it last year had a LOT to do with that.

I don't really understand how factory riders and sponsorships work, but it sounds to me like Steve was basically brought on board STRICTLY to expose the freeride side of Mongoose, via Drop In, vids, etc. Perhaps they wanted a known big-hit rider to maul the smaller bikes to show their worthiness. It seems like Mongoose is very clear on each bike's intended purpose.

And bdamschen, can't you get to a race or two down there, there should be prob finding an ECD and I'm pretty sure you can count on the owner not minding you checking it out.

seeka....i would love to take credit for the design of the rear end...but it wasn't mine....you can thank i believe Jim Busby, as he did the OG I Drive.

i have had extensive development time with it though dating back to 98 when the first version of the designs were I Drives at GT....this is a revised version of the original design that doesn't have to use that big old BB shell. the old I Drive was out of travel unless they made the shell bigger and that was one of the reasons for the revised design.

those GT days were fun...there was a prototype department at eh factory that had limited access....there were so many crazy designed bikes in there that never saw the light of day. we always had some new crazy stuff to hit the trails with and give feedback on.... we rode the first proto gear box's in 98!

Though I still get ribbed from friends for "going WalMart", I really like my ECD. Here it is in heavy-duty trail ride fun mode: RS Domain, single-ply rubber, front derailleur, and a Maverik Speedball post.

In DH race mode it sports a 7" 888, e13 guide, a shorty seatpost, and of course dual-ply treads.

I usually keep it in 8.4" travel mode (upper shock mount). To me the setting feels better than the shorter travel mode. The thing pedals MUCH better in 8.4" mode than my 6" faux-bar bike, so the extra travel almost seems "free". :)

Glad to see 'Goose (& EC) refining designs and stepping up to the brand's nearly-lost legacy. I'd definitely ride another Mongoose, based on my enjoyment of the ECD. ...Just wish dealers were easier to find, and their website was worth a darn...

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I see a lot of influence from the GT IT1 in the Gooses. Did Busby do the original gearbox proto that the ITs basically are?I like Busbys work,you can see where his inspiration comes from.
good question? i'm not sure if Busby was the Original designer of the gear box?....as far as i know it was built before i got on GT in 98.

i remember walking into that area and seeing the bike and i couldn't hold my grin...i was so stoked to be on GT and then to see all these proto bikes like a gear box bike was awesome.