Quantcast

2009 Specialized Big Hit III value

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thoughts?

I am looking at this to replace my Kona Coiler.

I want a more DH oriented bike than my Kona, but I am not sure a full on DH sled is necessary right now.

I found one local to me that looks damn near brand new for $1500, suggested retail on specialized site is $3000.

I've ridden an SX trail with a boxer (I think it was an SX Trail) and it was a fun bike I liked the way it felt. Will the big hit with slightly less travel feel similar?

Obviously being it is local I can test ride it when I look at it, but looking for something that I can do some down hill races on as well as ride lift assisted at our local hills that will allow me to ride more aggressively than my coiler does, but isn't a full on DH rig, which I don't necessarily need here in MI right now.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It's an all stock big hit III

turns out I rode a big hit, not an SX trail.

Is it ok to put a dual crown fork on this bike? my buddy is running a boxxer on his. His was a large, the one I am looking at is a medium which fits me better.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Was the 3 better or worse than the 1? I liked the BH when they finally ditched the 24" rear, but the build specs kinda sucked on the lower end model. They still tried to charge $$$ for it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You can ride it with a DC fork. Be warned this is not a light bike. It will be as heavy as a "full on DH sled" just cheaper.

Remember this used to be the DH bike from Big S before the Demo.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You can ride it with a DC fork. Be warned this is not a light bike. It will be as heavy as a "full on DH sled" just cheaper.

Remember this used to be the DH bike from Big S before the Demo.
test rode it tonight, it's a lot lighter than my kona feels. :D

Picking it up tomorrow.

I have one with a shiver hanging off the front. It's a DH bike though, not an all mountain or anything like that. Bought it used off here. Not sure if it's a III or not though. Came with a marz sl pos single crown on it. It is heavy too, like around 45lbs. Works great for me though.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Are the people talking about weight referring to the older ones? I believe the newer ones are around 38 pounds or so.. I know last year the GROM kids were on Big Hits (with boxxers) and they didn't look too heavy at all.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Are the people talking about weight referring to the older ones? I believe the newer ones are around 38 pounds or so.. I know last year the GROM kids were on Big Hits (with boxxers) and they didn't look too heavy at all.
I'll weigh it tonight. Though I am not concerned about weight considering that it feels lighter and more lively than my Kona Coiler.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Grom kids were also hooked up with I9's, Boxxer WC's, and every other dialed part you could imagine ;)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'll weigh it tonight. Though I am not concerned about weight considering that it feels lighter and more lively than my Kona Coiler.
Wow! Color me supprised I would not have guessed that a Big Sh!t would be lighter than a Coiler (guess its more proof that Kona's are heavy). What year was the Coiler?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Wow! Color me supprised I would not have guessed that a Big Sh!t would be lighter than a Coiler (guess its more proof that Kona's are heavy). What year was the Coiler?
According to my bathroom scale the kona is exactly 1 lb less than the big $hit.

40 and 41 lbs.