Quantcast

2009 Specialized Big hit III

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thoughts?

I am looking at this to replace my Kona Coiler.

I want a more DH oriented bike than my Kona, but I am not sure a full on DH sled is necessary right now.

I found one local to me that looks damn near brand new for $1500, suggested retail on specialized site is $3000.

I've ridden an SX trail with a boxer (I think it was an SX Trail) and it was a fun bike I liked the way it felt. Will the big hit with slightly less travel feel similar?

Obviously being it is local I can test ride it when I look at it, but looking for something that I can do some down hill races on as well as ride lift assisted at our local hills that will allow me to ride more aggressively than my coiler does, but isn't a full on DH rig, which I don't necessarily need here in MI right now.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
edit, turns out I rode a big hit with a boxxer last year, not an SX trail. I really liked it. Is it ok to put a dual crown fork on this bike if I wanted to in the future?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Even some of the larger riders on Specialized Grom Race team were racing quite effectively on them. This was somewhat surprising to me, but when i grilled them about it they only had good convincing things to say, and feedback on how it rode. could they have been stuck riding them cause Demo's were back ordered? possible...
but for your purposes, The Geo and construction is quite solid, surely it can handle DH, while having a stepper seat angle for when your pedalling.

I would say its a competent frameset that would fit your needs, if the fit, part spec and condition are decent go for it!

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
Ive been riding a 09 bighit with a boxxer WC for about a year now and really enjoy it. This is my first full on "DH" bike and the only thing i have to compare it to is the Transition dirtbag I borrowed from my buddy when I broke my hardtail... so take that for what its worth

EDIT: one thing to mention is that mine weighs in at 42.5 pounds, if weight is an issue

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I love mine. Coming off an 04 Demo9 the weight difference dropped about 10lbs to 39lbs. The chainstays are longer and the is more of aDH bike than my Demo was do to the longer overall feel. I ride Winrock, Snowshoe, and lots of places around NC. The bike is very stable. Mine is a custom build but out of the box there good but easily upgradeable.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have not gotten any bad feedback on this bike yet. I talked with my buddy who's I rode last year (his was a large, I prefer mediums) and he was really stoked on it.

The guy said he has ridden it 2 or 3 times, and offered it to me at $1350, seems to good of a deal to pass up?

I will update tomorrow.

Thanks guys. I am feeling pretty stoked on this one.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Wtf why do you have the same thread in two forums?

Price seems a little high. Used big hits usually go cheap. Try to get him down closer to $1,000 then you will be getting a deal.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Wtf why do you have the same thread in two forums?

Price seems a little high. Used big hits usually go cheap. Try to get him down closer to $1,000 then you will be getting a deal.
I started the same thread twice because I know a lot of people hang out in one forum or the other and I wanted to get some good insight.

For a frame only I have found demo's and big hits for $1300-1500 but nothing complete.

Last edited:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
a friend of mine who rides a "proper" DH bike, regularly shows up with his GF's bighit and and always raves on how the bighit is a real fun ride. it's a quite a popular bike around here....