Quantcast

2009 Specialized SX----2 Quick Questions.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey guys,
I found a real good deal on a specialized sx. The 2009 SX version is what I am looking at. NOT the SX trail, but the SX (4" of travel bike).

I just wanted to know if it is the correct size. I don't like my bikes big or small, I like them right in the middle. If I am doing aggressive riding (think dh, super D), I like a slightly bigger bike. If I am riding less aggressive stuff (think dj trails, all mountain, park, bmx tracks) I prefer something slightly smaller.

I sat on the bike and it is size long. There are only sizes short and long. It rode it on the street and in the yard, and it felt ok. But the head angle is a little deceptive and it is very long (wheelbase-wise) for how much travel it has. I know it is a good bike and will take on the tasks I want it to, but at my height of 5' 7" so do you think I would be better off on a small?

I would be using it for every task listed above with the exception of park riding. It feels more like a downhill bike to me than my hardtail as far the top tube length.

I am asking this to people that have experience with the new or old sx. I imagine the new and old feel relative in size. So basically, what is your review on the new sx, and do you think the sizing will work for me?

Thanks guys.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
FWIW, I went from a Long Spesh SX 2006 to a short Commencal Meta 4X.
Im 5'8" and mainly use the bike for trail riding with little climbing.

When i first saw it I thought it would be too small for me however I much prefer the short for all around manouvering and 'flickability'.

Hope this helps but I would try to get time on both in the dirt before making a final call.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm 6'2" and ride a long '05 sx. I love the fit, and imagine (unless your torso is similar in length to mine) that you'd fit better on the short. I use mine for everything from trail riding to dh, and am more comfortable going fast on it than I am my gemini.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hmmm. I am looking at the geometry of both the small and the large. I don't think they would be that different. The reason being is standover means nothing to me really, because the bike is already so low, and seat tube length, well the longer the better because I want to use it for AM applications too.

The actual top tube:
Long-570mm
Short-554mm

Reach:
Long:446
Short:424

Wheelbase:
long:1136mm-better for dh styles stuff
short:1114mm -better for ds style stuff.

I was told that the small feels unstable at high speeds. Also, with less than an inch in the top tube, do you think it could make THAT much of a difference?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
wow those have a really really long wheelbase!!! that seems really strange. for your size i would go for the short.

also look into something like a transition double, banshee rampant, corsair konig. all have short travel and jump really well but have alot shorter wheel base

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I like the longer wheelbase because it can still be used for faster aggressive riding. I rode a transition double that was my size, and it wasn't quite what I am looking for. Maybe a banshee rampant...

I don't really want to buy a bike right now, but I found such a good deal on this, and it has the works as far as parts go.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
For what is worth I have a long 2005. I rode it with a 70mm stem for just about all of the types of riding you described however I am 6'. I do like my bikes slightly on the smaller side and it fit me well. The bike has now been handed down to my wife who uses it as her trail bike. She is 5' 8" and it seems to fit her well for how she uses it.

The 2005 is a different frame but the geo numbers are pretty damn similar for the 2009. I would think from your description of what you like the long frame with a 50mm frame would work well for the aggressive type riding with maybe a 70mm for trail riding where you might fell the need to stretch out a bit.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
A long would be great if you planned on using it as a trail bike. If I was your size this would be my trailbike and it would be so much fun. A long will be too big for everything else. Go with the short.

I'm 6'2" and ride a long. I use mine for DS, 4x, bmx, and DJ. I tried using it on the trails but it was too small to climb with. Great downhill though.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Mehhhhh....... Thanks for the help and insight there man. I was really hoping this could be the "do it all except for hard dh and crazy xc" bike.

I wanted to use it for am, dual slalom, and north shore kind of stuff. I guess I can't win and truly have a do it all bike. Well, I am going to try this thing out saturday at a dual slalom/bmx type track probably, so I guess I'll have to see how this works out, as I know the trail/super d area is kind of covered by it. Thanks again guys. If you have any other suggestions or help, throw it out there as it is welcomed readily...

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I guess I can't win and truly have a do it all bike.
Dude, it doesn't exist. Just when you find that one perfect do-it-all bike and life is great...your mind starts thinking again. "...this is fun but if I had a dedicated xxx bike it would be so much better." Before you know it you're back to owning 5 bikes.

I do this every couple of years with bikes, surfboards and skis.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Maybe it's just that I'm delusional, but my sx does everything. I climb on it (5000' sometimes) with a 50mm stem (actually raced the WP hillclimb on it), I ride lift assisted dh, and everything in between. I also have a bmx bike and a dj hardtail, so it doesn't see as much dj/ sk8pk as it could, but that's mostly because I'm lazy and don't feel like changing the shock pressure and pedals all the time. Until I find another bike with similar geometry that's a little lighter, I can't see replacing it, either. It is the most fun descending trail bike I've ridden, and for that, I'll suffer a little on the climbs.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
wow those have a really really long wheelbase!!! that seems really strange. for your size i would go for the short.

also look into something like a transition double, banshee rampant, corsair konig. all have short travel and jump really well but have alot shorter wheel base
Thanks. How tall are you and what is your frame size?