Quantcast

2009 Yeti 303 Crack

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hey,not everyone knows the tolerences of materials,say alu or carbon.

Thats why compagnys put specs.To protect themselves from idiot owners doing things themselves wen they dont know.Its also for the customer so he doesn't have to buy things twice.

Some people just dont like reading things.

Bontrager alu stems have specs for clamping pressure.hell I have a race lite alu one right beside me with 5.2N.M as clamp pressure.

This is true! I think many average and of course excellent mechanics (home or pro) have the feel for "Common-Sense" torque - BUT - as witnessed many a time, many people think things should be as tight as they can physically accomplish.

Mind you I also own 4 torque wrenches, but dont always use them.

(Oh crap, I agreed with you! :p )

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
A dealer should handle warranty claims for the brands they carry, regardless of whether the bike was bought online.

It doesn't "cost" the shop money. Sure, there is time associated with taking a picture, and making a phone call. Minimal. However, there is also cost of labor to be charged at 2 points that offsets any hassle: disassembly, and reassembly. $200 for 2 hours of a mechanics time is money in the register, and the customer gets what they need. In addition, in order for the customer to continue having that warranty, they need to abide by the brand's rule that an authorized dealer completes the work at this juncture.

I handle this scenerio all the time. I'm up front about the fees, i'm prompt with the phone call, and the customer pays for it. If they think they should be able to build it in their garage and avoid the fee, thats fine, but it won't be through our shop, and they are welcome to drive 100 miles to the next one for the same answer. It's not a moral issue, and the "us vs the internet" is as bad for business as the internet. Put your smile on and charge for your time.
First time I've ever heard of a shop doing that. Would certainly for sure be the last time I went there for tools, tubes, parts, etc.

So what do you do if they just come in with the frame? Insist they come back with all the parts?

That said, if faced with that unfortunate scenario I'd offer to pay $250 if they promised not to touch it. Last thing I'd need is some shop mechanic assembling or disassembling by dh bike.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
Just got a call from the bike shop and Yeti says they cannot warranty the part because it's considered hardware and not actually the frame. It's only 150 for the replacement part so that's not bad. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a new frame.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Just got a call from the bike shop and Yeti says they cannot warranty the part because it's considered hardware and not actually the frame. It's only 150 for the replacement part so that's not bad. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a new frame.
I'd consider a link manufactured by Yeti to as part of their frame to be more than "hardware" but whatever.... The end result is still what I would have expected. Pretty reasonably price for the link too.

I'm curious why you thought you might have to get a new frame when all you did was crack the link. Even in a best case scenario all Yeti would do is send you a new one at no charge, they certainly would not have sent you a new frame to replace a small part.

Last edited:

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
I've had things break where you can't fix or place whats been broken. Usually when something like this breaks I would rather buy a new one to make sure it's all good. Since it's just a link buying one of those is a much easier fix.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I'd consider a link manufactured by Yeti to as part of their frame to be more than "hardware" but whatever.... The end result is still what I would have expected. Pretty reasonably price for the link too.

I'm curious why you thought you might have to get a new frame when all you did was crack the link. Even in a best case scenario all Yeti would do is send you a new one at no charge, they certainly would not have sent you a new frame to replace a small part.
you probably havn't dealt with multiple cases of over-torquing like all bike manu's,some write specs to protect themselves.

if it was in-proper;y manu'd like cough my bike cough cough cough,then yes warrenty should apply.

but thats exotics.

p.s wich I am still waiting for.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
First time I've ever heard of a shop doing that. Would certainly for sure be the last time I went there for tools, tubes, parts, etc.

So what do you do if they just come in with the frame? Insist they come back with all the parts?

That said, if faced with that unfortunate scenario I'd offer to pay $250 if they promised not to touch it. Last thing I'd need is some shop mechanic assembling or disassembling by dh bike.
This is news? Pretty much every top teir brand I've worked with requires their bicycles to be assembled by a dealer in order for there to be a valid warranty. In almost every case its even stated on the box that the things are shipped in. The same improper assembly disclaimers extend to frames. If the receipt is from an online store, and there is no accompanying receipt for assembly from an authorized dealer, those are grounds for the manufacturer to not recognize the warranty upon submission. Not all brands operate like this, so don't take it as a blanket statement.

Why should a dealer (or manufacturer) extend a warranty to a do-it-yourselfer who f*cks up his headtube or overtorques a frame bolt in his garage during assembly, causing issues down the road? You forget that the general public is far dumber and mechanically inept than most online forums, which is terrifying. It'd sure suck to lose your tube and lube business, being a loyal customer stopping by to warranty your internet frame n' whatnot, but unfortunately dealers aren't allowed to distinguish the capable (like yourself) from the barely breathing (the majority) when it comes to this.

As a very skilled mechanic, I understand your position. I'm just trying to provide some incite from the otherside.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
This is news? Pretty much every top teir brand I've worked with requires their bicycles to be assembled by a dealer in order for there to be a valid warranty.
In this case, however, the swing-link is part of an already-assembled frame out of the box from Yeti - - even when you purchase it as a frame-only.

Those particular pinch-bolts are meant to be user-loosened and -tightened as often as the owner sees fit to change head angle/bottom bracket height, as it is what keeps the rearward shock-mount eccentrics from rotating after setting.

I'm not saying it happened in this case; but the common problem (as others point out) comes with not exercising a light touch when it comes to lil' bitty 6mm bolts. There's a definite reason that a typical 10mm open-end or combination wrench (the size head that is usually on a 6mm bolt on anything but bicycles) is only about 3½-4" long: to make it hard to exert too much torque. Then look at your typical loose-wrench allen set for bikes and look how long the shanks are - - no wonder small bolts get over-torqued.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Specialized, and most top tier brands, require that a bike ordered from a shop be assembled by the shop for initial assembly, (which the buyer is not charged for) only to adhere to the warranty, after that it doesn't work when bringing your bike in for warranty Any shop that tries to make me pay to have it disassembled and reassembled by them for a warranty after the first assembly, will never get my business again.

This is news? Pretty much every top teir brand I've worked with requires their bicycles to be assembled by a dealer in order for there to be a valid warranty. In almost every case its even stated on the box that the things are shipped in. The same improper assembly disclaimers extend to frames. If the receipt is from an online store, and there is no accompanying receipt for assembly from an authorized dealer, those are grounds for the manufacturer to not recognize the warranty upon submission. Not all brands operate like this, so don't take it as a blanket statement.

Why should a dealer (or manufacturer) extend a warranty to a do-it-yourselfer who f*cks up his headtube or overtorques a frame bolt in his garage during assembly, causing issues down the road? You forget that the general public is far dumber and mechanically inept than most online forums, which is terrifying. It'd sure suck to lose your tube and lube business, being a loyal customer stopping by to warranty your internet frame n' whatnot, but unfortunately dealers aren't allowed to distinguish the capable (like yourself) from the barely breathing (the majority) when it comes to this.

As a very skilled mechanic, I understand your position. I'm just trying to provide some incite from the otherside.

Last edited:

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
Went to the shop today to pick up the parts and Yeti sent two drive side links. I need the non drive side link. Now I have to wait another week for the part, and I was supposed to go to Platty today. :mad:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Warranty work performed by car dealerships is billed to the manufacturer and paid without question. From my experience at a bike shop that is not the case.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
My buddy is the warranty manager at Jamis and he said if he saw a crack like that he would warranty it right away. Hopefully Yeti will do the same, or have a replacement part I can buy.
that's funny cause i have seen jamis bikes crack in similar fashion and the warranty process wasn't that smooth... so apparently "your friend" wasn't employed there back then right?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
that's funny cause i have seen jamis bikes crack in similar fashion and the warranty process wasn't that smooth... so apparently "your friend" wasn't employed there back then right?
My warranty processs with Jamis amounted to having my LBS (Not where I bought it!) call Jamis, and them sending me parts without question on 2 seperate occasions.

Fast, smooth, without any hangups of any sort.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
My warranty processs with Jamis amounted to having my LBS (Not where I bought it!) call Jamis, and them sending me parts without question on 2 seperate occasions.

Fast, smooth, without any hangups of any sort.

Same. When my Jamis cracked it was a real easy process and went fine.