Quantcast

200mm Disc Adapter for 2010 Boxxer????

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Hey guys, ive been searching for a while now but cant find anything about an adapter for the new boxxer to fit my Formula Oro caliper for running a 200mm Disc...all i find is the old boxxer standard.

can anybody help me out??

thanks in advance

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
New Boxxer is a 6" rotor post-mount (74mm) with the caliper (74mm) mounted directly to the fork. You need either a 74mm/74mm adapter for a 200mm rotor or a 203mm rotor and 74mm/74mm matching adapter. I hope that's not too confusing.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
yeah sorry i sort of phrased it wrong, its not a new standard but before i just bolted on my caliper onto my 888 rc3 and before that i used another adapter where the bolt holes faced outwards on an older boxxer and not into the fork like now.

So these adapters should be lying around any bike shop???
or else i can just get it machined, but that would be a pain.

thanks Dogboy and Oldskoolbiker, you seemed to have posted while i was typing lol

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Except that simply saying 74mm post mount is not enough information to get the correct adapter. The adapter for an 888 is a 74mm post mount, however it will not work on the Boxxer. This larger post mount configuration has also been used on the Dorado....again, a '74mm post mount' adapter will not work, yet it is 74mm and a post mount.

You are right, the term 'IS' was something that refers to 51mm tab type mounts (back when mfg still held to standard mount to axle distances)... , but I am sure you will agree that refering to a user defineddesign as 'the standard' does not define that standard well at all. Fox calls their 40 mounts 'IS' and they CLEARLY do not fall under the original design specs. They use the 51mm tabs, yet the mount to axle distance is increased so as to no longer require an adapter. Marzocchi made up their own differing qr vs 20mm 'IS' standard. The older boxxer mount was a 51mm tab mount...was different from all others, but became its own 'standard'.

There have been exactly two well defined 'standards' for disc brakes since the 22mm hayes mount went away in the 90's...post and tab. Both of these standards define the mount patern as well as the distance to wheel axle. There is no such thing as a post mount that is not 74mm C-C, and there is no such thing as a tab mount that is not 51mm C-C...however, the mount to axle spacing has now become a parameter that mfg seem to change at will.

The original 'Standard' documents for both the 51mm tab, and the 74mm post mounts are specific in their mount to axle distances...mounting a 6" rotor with no adapter. The Boxxer adheres to the original post mount standard not only in the 74mm measurement, but in the axle to mount distance.

I should have said 'standard' post mount as in 'the regular ol' normal', or 6" post mount as DB did rather than 'IS' to avoid confusion with tab mounts but I figured that saying post would have cleared that up.

Whether you like the 'standard' moniker or not, in this case, we are all recomending the same adapter, only I added the term 'standard' as it is indeed the standard configuration of the 74mm post mount that is needed.

Last edited: