Quantcast

2010 66 RC3 Ti or 2010 888 RC3 Evo

kangawookie

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
I am looking to upgrade the 150mm Dirt Jumper II on my 04 Bighit. I never understood why that fork was chosen to be placed on that kind of bike but alas, its going to be replaced.

I am looking at getting a 2010 66 RC3 Ti (heard good reviews on it) or a 2010 888 RC3 EVO (also heard good reviews).

My issue is I can get the 66 for 650 and the cheapest I can find a new 888 along with a direct mount headset for 1000.

Is the 350 difference worth it?

Currently for the rear susupension I'm running a brand new 2010 Roco WC Coil. Keeping it Zoke.

I know ill get .87 inches more travel with the 888, but lately I hear single crowns are pretty stiff and that the 66 RC3 is among the best in plushness.

I know both will be a major upgrade over the DJII (no adjustments on the thing, rebound is too fast).

In terms of riding style, I mostly push or attempt to climb up the hill and then i just go as fast as I can manage down Socal fireroads and trails. I live in the Santa Clarita valley and there's quite a few easily accessible trails.

What would you guys recommend? 66 or 888 and why?

I appreciate your help, thanks guys.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I had an 05 big hit. And honestly at this point it would be better to save your money and buy a better frame. But if you arnt into that I would go with the 66. It just makes the bike a little more versatile.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I would stick with the 66.

I've owned a few 66's and 888's and always found the 66's to be the most fun and versatile. I've rocked an older 66 VF2 on my Session10 and a 2009 66 RC3 on my Foes Fly and Giant Faith. It handles both freeride and downhill duty just fine and is plenty stiff.

kangawookie

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
That's two for the 66! I appreciate the replies freeridefool and bmxconvert. A couple people have mentioned I have spent more money on parts than the frame is worth, but I really like how burly the bike looks. Eventually I'm thinking of getting another bike but at the moment I want to stick with my big****:)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
That's two for the 66! I appreciate the replies freeridefool and bmxconvert. A couple people have mentioned I have spent more money on parts than the frame is worth, but I really like how burly the bike looks. Eventually I'm thinking of getting another bike but at the moment I want to stick with my big****:)
That's cool and all, but wait till you get on a bike with a real rear wheel... I know a bunch of people who finally gave up on their Big Hits just cause they couldn't find tires any more!

Invest the new fork money into a new complete. JMO. ;)

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
the 66 RC3ti is awesome. It doesn't give anything up to any triple crown fork (Boxxer, 888) that I've owned.

Rockhucker

Chimp
May 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I recently built up my Scythe with a 888 EVO and now that the Lift access session is almost over I really crave the extra versatility that the 66 would give me.

Get the 66