Quantcast

2010 888s are in

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Just got a call from the LBS I work at, saying my fork is in.
Will pick up and install tomorrow.
Got the RC3 Evo, but not the Ti, cause it was almost twice the price just for the weight savings.

Has anyone else got one already?

X777

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
7.60 lbs

uncut, with axle.
Can you please take a picture of the fork on the scale, both of them rc3 evo and rc3 evo Ti. I've got a few guy's, feckin infidels, who don't believe that marzocchi could make these forks so light, I will use your pics to torture them :)
Thanks a lot

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Just put an 888 Evo on my Glory last night. Had it works tuned pre-shipment and it feels SO NICE. Crazy tuneable and the new air volume dial actually makes the fork more/progressive. Hopefully will get some ride time today. NO, I'm not going to take it off my bike to weigh it..

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What did they say about the weight of the 66 EVO? Its hard to imagine that the ti version is a full 1lb lighter.
no idea. the issue i have has the 888 in it....and a full pound savings for a Ti spring is a lot for a fork

Just put an 888 Evo on my Glory last night. Had it works tuned pre-shipment and it feels SO NICE. Crazy tuneable and the new air volume dial actually makes the fork more/progressive. Hopefully will get some ride time today. NO, I'm not going to take it off my bike to weigh it..
the volume adjuster is the same as all the other years

Last edited:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Marzocchi is well known for their tendency to BS in the weight thing...

U can't save more than 300 grams with a Ti spring

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
They are also using titanium hardware through the whole fork and the stanchions are now tapered so the weight savings are huge.

As far as the extra progression goes, I think you will find that comes from the new compression valving which uses as shim stack so it has much for mid-stroke support and high-speed compression damping. As someone said the volume adjuster is unchanged

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
First ride today. A few shuttles of Cypress mtn.

Previous fork was an '04 888. The new chassis is way stiffer. Shim stack damping seems really plush. At first I thought it would be way too soft, but it never bottomed. The adjustments are really easy to use and effective.

Stoked.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
They are also using titanium hardware through the whole fork and the stanchions are now tapered so the weight savings are huge.
Sorry but tapered stanchions do not a save "huge" no more than 30gram each. I have a old boxxer (2002) with easton tapered stanchions and put it a part many times, after that i have holded in my hand some newer strigh wall 32mm and no big diff.

about titanium hardware, what is it? 5...maybe 6... M5 bolts? how much you save another 30grams?

If the weight ir real the savings gotta be somewhere else.

Cheers

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Do the new evo cartridges have a tapered needle by-pass for the low speed compression adjustment, or is it the same as the old ones where all the exit ports just got closed off for more overall compression damping?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The Ti spring in those things is pretty gnarly. Super wide coil spacing so it uses very little material. I've picked up a couple of them before - they are that light. It's not a big selling point for me personally, but I think it's cool they managed to do that in a really sturdy coil-sprung chassis.

The damper is an adjustable shimstack base-valve with a needle bypass for the adjuster. Totally different system than the previous RC/RC2/RC3 dampers. It would have been REALLY cool to have the base-valve come out without having to take off the lowers or remove the cartridge for quick revalves like most of the moto forks do, but oh well.

I think someone needs to start a thread strictly about 888 valving and shimstack modifications...someone who actually owns the fork that is.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Sorry but tapered stanchions do not a save "huge" no more than 30gram each. I have a old boxxer (2002) with easton tapered stanchions and put it a part many times, after that i have holded in my hand some newer strigh wall 32mm and no big diff.

about titanium hardware, what is it? 5...maybe 6... M5 bolts? how much you save another 30grams?

If the weight ir real the savings gotta be somewhere else.

Cheers

I was just pointing out that there were more changes than just the lighter Ti spring, there is also less oil in the spring side so once its all added up you can see how they dropped so much weight :)

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I think someone needs to start a thread strictly about 888 valving and shimstack modifications...someone who actually owns the fork that is.

Yeah that would be interesting to see, I'm leaving my one stock until I've done a few weeks riding on it but I beefed up the valving on one of our team riders forks and he seems stoked on it so far

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Agreed, Im thinking about buying a new Zoke and would love to know how to "properly" tune the fork.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If the bushings on those are set up right, they will take a while to truly break in. I'd wait until that happens to mess with the valving. I softened up the valving in my BOS cart a bit and then the bushings broke in and freed up a lot (this took nearly a month of riding) and I had to go back and firm things up again.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i'm definitely looking forward to hear people's thoughts on the fork, after spending the last 2 years on the air sprung 888 and two before that on coil versions I'm happy to hear 'zocchi's going back to the coil. I think regardless of how much weight's actually saved, if at the end of the day your arms are less pumped and fatigued from having to work, then they'll be stronger and the fork won't feel as heavy...(not to say all weight savings are irrelevant, i'm jus not getting wound up .3lb one way or another)

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
I freaking love mine... Rode my RC3 over the weekend at Diablo, and the guys were shocked at how perfect it works for me. They were worried that it would be too heavy for a 125lb chick with not a lot of upper body strength, but it turned out being perfect. It's light enough for me to pick up the front end of the bike and everything. Rock gardens were phenomenal as well. Getting a fork that was able to be adjusted for a light rider to be nailed head on is pretty freaking tough, too. Just think if it could be that awesome on the far end of the weight spectrum, what they will do for an average weighted rider.

Marzocchi nailed this one. When I felt it at Interbike I thought it was too good to be true with how squishy it is, but I was wrong. =)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
howd the fork do on some rougher hits (ie: how progressive is the high speed compression, is it harsh, smooth, bottoms constantly etc etc)

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
howd the fork do on some rougher hits (ie: how progressive is the high speed compression, is it harsh, smooth, bottoms constantly etc etc)
It never bottomed out on me, even on the harder hits I gave it. Not knowing those trails at all, and the first day on the bike, I landed pretty nose heavy a couple times. It was completely butter all the way through.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
Doesn't it also have less oil volume? That would shed some weight too.

I'll wait a year to see how those Ti springs are holding up. :D

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Isn't the Evo Ti only 6.5lbs? Its the same weight as a Boxxer Team, with less adjustment, for over $500 more?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yes but all the beauty of not being made by rock shox...semi-sarcastic there, i just always felt that the boxxers always need work, even if its minor, or quick enough to be done in a beer drinking competition i want a fork that goes on the front of my bike in May, stays there till October, and gets new seals/oil then...plus as i said earlier i'm wary of a company that sends out forks that are supposed to have oil, without any, I don't want to spend $1,000+ to have to then take my fork to a shop, or go out and buy oil, measure it etc etc...but then again i'll admit, i'm a RS hater through and through

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
are marz forks back at the quality of where they were in the 2004-ish time frame? I know they had major snafus when they moved production to thai-juan.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
yes but all the beauty of not being made by rock shox...semi-sarcastic there, i just always felt that the boxxers always need work, even if its minor, or quick enough to be done in a beer drinking competition i want a fork that goes on the front of my bike in May, stays there till October, and gets new seals/oil then...plus as i said earlier i'm wary of a company that sends out forks that are supposed to have oil, without any, I don't want to spend $1,000+ to have to then take my fork to a shop, or go out and buy oil, measure it etc etc...but then again i'll admit, i'm a RS hater through and through
Yes, remember to tell us about the problems you have had with your fork ;)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Ha, the 888 gives you even more adjustment than what external adjusters can provides really the range of tuning is bigger with the 888, don't get sucked in to marketing ;)
Is the Boxxer not as tunable now because the 888 is marketed with an accessable shimstack this year?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
yes but all the beauty of not being made by rock shox...semi-sarcastic there, i just always felt that the boxxers always need work, even if its minor, or quick enough to be done in a beer drinking competition i want a fork that goes on the front of my bike in May, stays there till October, and gets new seals/oil then...
The longevity you want half existed in 2004/2005 when forks took a quart of oil per leg (actually, even then, forks would perform SIGNIFICANTLY better with monthly service). It does not exist any longer. This is a direct result of internet weight weenies demanding overly light products. With an optimized chasis design, the only way to loose significant weight in a fork is to massively reduce the oil volumes in the fork. The less lube, the shorter the service intervals whether it be a fork, a bearing assembly, or a motor...it is all the same. If you want someone to blame, blame 'you' and 'me'. Consumers are demanding underbuilt products for weight savings...and this is the result.

plus as i said earlier i'm wary of a company that sends out forks that are supposed to have oil, without any, I don't want to spend $1,000+ to have to then take my fork to a shop, or go out and buy oil, measure it etc etc...but then again i'll admit, i'm a RS hater through and through
At least you admit your bias...but if you think that RS is the only company cutting corners with factory lube, you must not ever work on forks. Go back a few years (when marz was on top and the majority of people were riding them) on ANY forum and you will find post after post about 'no oil', 'too much oil', 'too little oil' from everyone who was smart enough to open their Marz forks and check.
There is not a single fork that provides what you are asking, period. It is just not going to happen at the prices and weights that some consumers are demanding.
Working on suspension yourself is simply part of owning suspension unless you are foolish enough and have the excess $$ to pay someone to do basic maintainance for you.

In all honesty, what you want has never existed and will never exist, you are fooling yourself if you think it has, and you are abusing products if you have treated them this way in the past. Service intervals may have gotten shorter in more recent forks, but they have always been there....and the VAST majority of people do not keep up with the required work, wheter it be a 2004 888, or a 2010 boxxer WC.

Lastly with the increase in fork complexity, and maintainance needs, technical documentation and proper maintainance procedures are an absolute necessity. Some companies provide all this this information and then some, some companies provide absolutely zero information.
Buying a product and supporting a company (any product, but more so with $$$ ones) with no documentation or information about the required up-keep, requirements, functionality, service, and documentation is absolutely unexcusable IMO.....and 100% avoidable.

Last edited: