Quantcast

2010 boxxer knobs...WTF?!!!!

SCARY

Not long enough
Why are they so gdamn hard to turn?Why even have them if I gotta carry a pipe wrench and a pick axe with me wherever I ride?Is there a fix for this yet?mucho gracias mi amigos.(a little love for my legal Immigrant compadre's here in AZ;)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Something is jammed. My Totem did the same thing when I first got it. If you are at the extremes of the adjustment range (high or low) the dials will jam in place and be almost impossible to turn in either direction. Once you get the adjustments back in range, they wont jam like that.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Mine have been rediculously stiff as well. The Bottom out knob especially, i think i've literally put vice grips on it before. And the compression ones are not only stiff but the shape of them digs into your hands super bad.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
If they're brand new and hard to turn, that seems to be normal by most accounts. Put some gloves on, turn them back and forth for a few minutes, and they should break in fine.

If they're a few months old and you've already tried the above, sounds like a problem worth calling RS about.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The bottom out knob on my world cup is hard to turn,need a allen key to adjust it,the rest of the knobs is easy to turn

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The bottom out knob on my world cup is hard to turn,need a allen key to adjust it,the rest of the knobs is easy to turn
Yeah usually need to depressurise the air leg to get that one to turn a bit easier.

All mine, compression and rebound, turn fine.

SCARY

Not long enough
Yeah,the bottom out is the worst.I prefer channel locks though.They make this really neat crunching noise if you do it right.
Is it wrong that the hL speed compression is absolutly no different whether it's all the way hard or soft?.I may just be being picky .I do that.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's normal and with the bottom out even the manual states it should be done with the key. What's more worrying is that my rebound dials are kinda loose though nothing I can't fix.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
If the bottom out knob needs to be done with a key,why does the Rock Shox rep at the Boxxer introduction at the previous Interbike made it so easy by turning the bottom out knob with it's fingers:confused:.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the bottom out knob needs to be done with a key,why does the Rock Shox rep at the Boxxer introduction at the previous Interbike made it so easy by turning the bottom out knob with it's fingers:confused:.
Maybe they decided it wasn't the best idea and changed it. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
If they're a few months old and you've already tried the above, sounds like a problem worth calling RS about.
Mine were very stiff and never loosened up, eventually it got shipped to RS and my damper was so f'ed up they sent me a new one.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
If the bottom out knob needs to be done with a key,why does the Rock Shox rep at the Boxxer introduction at the previous Interbike made it so easy by turning the bottom out knob with it's fingers:confused:.[/QUOTE

guessing it wasn't full of air at the time... for the sake of demonstration, who knows

if the compression is hard to turn, loosen the bolt holding it on by 1/8th or 1/4th turn that will make the lowspeed a bit easier to turn.

and yes, they are tight when brand new, give them a good twisting for a minute or two

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Mine's brand new (updated / gen2 one) and all the knobs were super easy to turn out of the box, and haven't seized or done anything strange.

Bottom out one is a bit hard, but as below it was okay after depressurising.

Yeah usually need to depressurise the air leg to get that one to turn a bit easier.

All mine, compression and rebound, turn fine.