Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Race gonna keep me happy?

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
I need a new Boxxer. My last Boxxer was an 07 or 08 Team w/Motion Control. I ran the Floodgate and the Low Speed all the way open all the time and was very happy with it. I never felt the need increase the compression.
So... Do I need the new Mission Control damper, or is the plain 'ole 2010 Boxxer Race gonna work for me?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
2010 Boxxer Race gonna keep me happy?
Sure.

Why not.

I've hated boxxers with every fiber of my being until the 2010s came around. That version is the best dh fork I've ever owned.

I think what you'll find (and what most have found) is that the compression damping in the new boxxers actually does what every fork manufacturer has claimed to do with compression damping in the past.......eliminates unwanted movement without sacrificing critical bump absorption. You might find that you're getting just a tad more arm punch, but you'll also notice you're riding faster because your front wheel really is tracking better. Plus the damn things ARE adjustable so you can tune till your heart's content.

That's my story at least.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
Sure.

Why not.

I've hated boxxers with every fiber of my being until the 2010s came around. That version is the best dh fork I've ever owned.

I think what you'll find (and what most have found) is that the compression damping in the new boxxers actually does what every fork manufacturer has claimed to do with compression damping in the past.......eliminates unwanted movement without sacrificing critical bump absorption. You might find that you're getting just a tad more arm punch, but you'll also notice you're riding faster because your front wheel really is tracking better. Plus the damn things ARE adjustable so you can tune till your heart's content.

That's my story at least.
fyi 2010 boxxer race internals = 2007-2009 boxxer internals...

if you ask me...the 2010 boxxer race feels more stable but durability is crap...
my friends fork crapped out on his second ride...somethings rattling inside(not spring) and rebound is a bit whacked..

team and world cup is good though...but the quality control is bad...

im still on a 2009 boxxer race with team motion control and push kit btw..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fyi 2010 boxxer race internals = 2007-2009 boxxer internals...

if you ask me...the 2010 boxxer race feels more stable but durability is crap...
my friends fork crapped out on his second ride...somethings rattling inside(not spring) and rebound is a bit whacked..

team and world cup is good though...but the quality control is bad...

im still on a 2009 boxxer race with team motion control and push kit btw..
rofltacos have you read any of the thirty WTF BOXXER 2010 ZOMG threads? The rattling and rebound issue have been addressed by RS as QC issues. Have your friend contact them for a fix. The negative spring is too short and the rebound head has construction issues. Warranty parts will fix both issues. I don't think it should happen at all, I agree, but at least there's a fix.

As for the 2008/2010, if you don't use the adjustability, I doubt you'll notice the need for a team. That being said, I don't fully understand the difference between the dampers. I will say that the new chassis is much better constructed than the old one. The quality is much higher.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
rofltacos have you read any of the thirty WTF BOXXER 2010 ZOMG threads? The rattling and rebound issue have been addressed by RS as QC issues. Have your friend contact them for a fix. The negative spring is too short and the rebound head has construction issues. Warranty parts will fix both issues. I don't think it should happen at all, I agree, but at least there's a fix.

i just got a boxxer race from the new batch when the problems were adressed from rs and haven't had a problem with mine . i'm really happy with my boxxer race and would recommend it chaingangster .

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
I need a new Boxxer. My last Boxxer was an 07 or 08 Team w/Motion Control. I ran the Floodgate and the Low Speed all the way open all the time and was very happy with it. I never felt the need increase the compression.
So... Do I need the new Mission Control damper, or is the plain 'ole 2010 Boxxer Race gonna work for me?
I am in the same boat, on paper my 07 team and 10 race appear the same other than the obvious chassis change. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

For the money I think it is worth a try.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
There is no floodgate/HSC blowoff on the on the 2010 which the previous team has. This wont be a problem if you dont run any LSC compression or if they've lowered the blowoff point in the 2010 boxxers.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Ive got a Race on order to replace my 08 team just to see what they are like. even with the fix, just because boxxers have always had little issues, rebuild them when you get them and everything should be fine. I cant wait to put mine on from everything ive heard. If i do find the race internals arnt up to the job, which for me they should be just fine, im just going to order the mission control kit

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
But those pinner ass stanchions negated any stability the damping provided :D

I swear the newer ones work better..... Might be my imagination just because they're stiffer.
actually they do work better...sort of...stability wise 10 wins hands down
the 09 lowers absorbs and bends slightly on hits and the 10 lowers just bounces off anything you hit...

but they break easier too

my friend just snapped the arch on his 10 boxxer wc(first batch)..

quality control is still sh!t on the second batch..
another friend got a new 10 team (second batch the one with the mission control sticker) and the bushing/seals are horribly tight..fork doesnt even move smoothly..i cant even reach the bottom out rubber stick with the softest spring

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If you were happy with the Motion control Boxxer stick with that for 2010. The motion control worked pretty well, the problem with the 2006-2009 boxxer was the inconsistant rebound due to no shimz, just port orfice. A easy fix from push but not sure if it will work in a 2010 Race due to the 35mm tubes.

edit: Just confirmed that the Push kit will not work in a 2010 race

Last edited: