Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Team or 2010 40 RC2

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I have the option to get either one for the same price (which i've already paid).

I'm 195lbs and ride a pimp-spec Canfield Jedi, currently with an 08 boxxer WC on it.

I've already paid for a fork, but i have the option of either of these two listed, which one would you want, and why? I lean towards the 40 because i'm leery of first year anything.

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Both fork seems to be great.

The '10 Fox 40 is pretty much the same as the 09 and the '09 had a really good impression here and around the world .

Now, the '10 Boxxer seems to be rocking too and it looks like it perform very well.

I have a '09 Fox and I will recommend the '10. I love it in every way and until the moment it haven't disappointed me neither.

good luck with the selection !

Blaaaaaaack fox would look sick with the jedi

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I have the 2010 Boxxer on my jedi and I love it. Initially the boxxers seem to have some small issues, but pulling them apart for service usually solves the prob. The boxxer also comes in black.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
The '10 Boxxer Team has an elastomer... ou wait it's a whole new "Drop Stop" system - that's cool yey!

I don't think it's the best way to add position sensitivity - that's why they left it back in the 20-th century.

I would not buy anything from SRAM in it's first year on the market too. :butcher:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
The '10 Boxxer Team has an elastomer... ou wait it's a whole new "Drop Stop" system - that's cool yey!

I don't think it's the best way to add position sensitivity - that's why they left it back in the 20-th century.

I would not buy anything from SRAM in it's first year on the market too. :butcher:
great... another clueless person on the internet

um, guess what... all fork have an elastomer bottom out bumper (as do rear shocks). rock shox just allows you to fine tune how your fork feels when it bottoms out.

have you ridden one? do you even know how the drop stop system works? i figured not.

both forks are great race forks. boxxers are completely user serviceable which is a big plus to me. i think the biggest issue with them right now is lack of spare part availability from SRAM at the moment if you were to break something in it.

both forks have speed sensitive damping.... not position sensitive (these are two completely different concepts)

meca06

Chimp
Sep 19, 2007
Reunion Island
great... another clueless person on the internet

um, guess what... all fork have an elastomer bottom out bumper (as do rear shocks). rock shox just allows you to fine tune how your fork feels when it bottoms out.

have you ridden one? do you even know how the drop stop system works? i figured not.

both forks have speed sensitive damping.... not position sensitive (these are two completely different concepts)
...the BOS Idylle Rare have an hydraulic bottom out bumper and you can change the piston position to 160/170/180 or 190mm. Have you seen an elastomer bumper in MX Fork ???:blink: Elastomer is cheap and just here to stop the feeling of bottoming....with a good hydraulic you don't bottoming so much ! When the brands will decide to do the fork working for 5 years without change anything like a Motorcycle, it will be better. Now it's just for marketing, not for quality and consumers. You buy your forks and you need to grease and lub it....it's a joke, i never see that on my car, my motorcycle :(

Position sensitive it's just marketing. at the start, in the middle or at the end of the travel you need some low-speed or High-speed control. Always.

Yes position sensitive is a concept. just a marketing concept...

Last edited:

k1creeker

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
I have the option to get either one for the same price (which i've already paid).

I'm 195lbs and ride a pimp-spec Canfield Jedi, currently with an 08 boxxer WC on it.

I've already paid for a fork, but i have the option of either of these two listed, which one would you want, and why? I lean towards the 40 because i'm leery of first year anything.
Jutny,
I ran a 2010 boxxer on my Jedi... for 4 days.
It felt great for the first 2 days at which time I had to pull the lowers to lube the bushings. It' easy to do, but I also noticed my shock came with no oil in one leg and only 5ml in the other. Turns out the damping cartridge was built with an improperly sized o-ring. The fork went off to SRAM for repair, but parts will not be available for a while (no date given for its return).

If you go with the Boxxer and have problems, you better have a back up fork. Given my experience so far, I'd recommend the 40.

On another matter, what spring rate and shock are you running on your Jedi? I'm about your size and am considering going down a spring weight, or swapping shocks all together. I'm not jazzed about my ROCO WC.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've been recently tempted to buy a 2010 team (take another 0.2 - 0.3lb off my 34.9lb build...) but I'm going to hold out until winter. I'm too happy with my 2006 boxxer team, it works great. 2010 might have niggling problems, and I don't want to change the feel of my bike halfway through the season.

That said, my vote goes for the Boxxers, lol :) Foxs seem very stiff out of the box, take quite a bit of bedding in.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
...the BOS Idylle Rare have an hydraulic bottom out bumper and you can change the piston position to 160/170/180 or 190mm. Have you seen an elastomer bumper in MX Fork ???:blink: Elastomer is cheap and just here to stop the feeling of bottoming....with a good hydraulic you don't bottoming so much !
So, automobile shocks that still using elastomers for bottoming, is that just because they haven't figured out a good way to properly dampen them yet? :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd have to agree on this one here, no matter what the brand or manufacturer. Wait until next year and let the guinea pigs hash out the issues. Fox had them, RS seems to have them, Manitou had them in the past....I'd go with the 40 until next year.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jutny,
It felt great for the first 2 days at which time I had to pull the lowers to lube the bushings. It' easy to do, but I also noticed my shock came with no oil in one leg and only 5ml in the other. Turns out the damping cartridge was built with an improperly sized o-ring. The fork went off to SRAM for repair, but parts will not be available for a while (no date given for its return).

If you go with the Boxxer and have problems, you better have a back up fork. Given my experience so far, I'd recommend the 40.

On another matter, what spring rate and shock are you running on your Jedi? I'm about your size and am considering going down a spring weight, or swapping shocks all together. I'm not jazzed about my ROCO WC.
Wow, Bob! Bummer to hear that....I am still stoked on my '07 Boxxer.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Jutny,

I'm running a 400# spring on an Elka, and i LOVE it.

I told the guy to send me the 40, and I'll try out a new boxxer when they're not new anymore.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'm going to be getting the Boxxer team next summer. Although I do not like to be the guinea pig I would buy this summer but a string of bad luck has left me without a pot to piss in :wacko:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Off topic a bit, but what spring rate comes in the 09/10 Fox 40? I'm 200lbs geared up.
blue Ti comes stock I'm fairly sure, I asked the guy to order mine with a green Ti as I think you and I (I'm also 200-205 geared up) would be pushing the limits of the blue Ti with a bunch of preload.

i don't know what the actual rates are, seems like that info isn't always published. I know go-ride lists rates for their "combo" springs, which kind of seems like a cool idea.

can't wait to get my 40!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Fox 40s arent rated like a spring with a big number in the 3 digits. They (at least were) rated by pounds an inch. (40lbs an inch, 50lbs an inch) They are also recomended to a certain weight group as well. starting with black(hard to find) purple, blue, green , yellow

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Fox 40s arent rated like a spring with a big number in the 3 digits. They (at least were) rated by pounds an inch. (40lbs an inch, 50lbs an inch) They are also recomended to a certain weight group as well. starting with black(hard to find) purple, blue, green , yellow
the 3 digit number 300#/350#/400# etc you refer to is actually a rating in pounds/in (the # is the symbol for pounds). The number is so high because the spring is short (due to the packaging of our shocks, leverage ratios, etc), and has to absorb a similar amount of energy as a spring that is much longer (fork spring, for example). F=kx (where F is force, K is the spring constant, and x is the linear extension/compression)

the two measurements are comparable, it just doesn't appear that way at first. ;)

Remember, a spring is nothing more than an energy storage/distribution device, and they can store/release energy at different rates, hence the spring constant K. Spring rate varies as a result of the material used, the diameter of the wire, the diameter of the coils, the distance between the coils and all sorts of other interesting things.

Springs can also be non-linear, meaning K changes in relation to X, or, the more you compress it, the harder it becomes to compress it.

Example:

So lets say for me: I have a 55lb/in spring in my 40 (pretty firm) and a 400lb/in spring on my elka. The 40 has an 8" stroke, and the elka has a 2.75" stroke.

That means that the 40's spring can absorb 440lb (55*8) and the Elka's spring can absorb 1100lb (400*2.75). Seems like a big difference right. Now lets say that my Canfield has a 2.5:1 leverage ratio (i'm not sure that's what it is, but it makes the numbers nice). Now we can divide the amount for the elka by the leverage ratio (1100/2.5= 440lb). There you have it.

Last edited:

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
...the BOS Idylle Rare have an hydraulic bottom out bumper and you can change the piston position to 160/170/180 or 190mm. Have you seen an elastomer bumper in MX Fork ???:blink: Elastomer is cheap and just here to stop the feeling of bottoming....with a good hydraulic you don't bottoming so much ! When the brands will decide to do the fork working for 5 years without change anything like a Motorcycle, it will be better. Now it's just for marketing, not for quality and consumers. You buy your forks and you need to grease and lub it....it's a joke, i never see that on my car, my motorcycle :(

Position sensitive it's just marketing. at the start, in the middle or at the end of the travel you need some low-speed or High-speed control. Always.

Yes position sensitive is a concept. just a marketing concept...
Meca I am with you on this one. I have been riding moto for a long time. DH fork company's need to learn from the big boys. I have ridden both the new 2010 Box and Fox and I am not impressed with either. Over priced with poor performance.....

Last edited: