Quantcast

2010 Boxxer WC air spring knock

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
My Boxxer WC air spring is making a knocking sound/feel about 1/2 way into the travel.
I have taken the air spring apart and greased the seals,cleaned and inspected,everything appears fine.
Anyone had the same thing happen?Suggestions?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I have the exact same thing. happened about a month ago. doesn't seem to affect performance but it is noticeable. (more so at slow speeds). I have not figured it out either. looking forward to seeing if there are any remedies.

sorry, my reply was not helpful in any way.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
No worries it is good to know that someone else has had the same problem.
I am sure we will get it figured out.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
It's common in the World Cups. The 2010'a use a wavy spring washer to achieve top out which allows the positive air bleed into the negative air chamber. To fix the problem try using 15 wt oil in the solo air spring or get a new wavy spring washer. Your current one might be worn out.

What I did was placed a small wavy spring between the solo air piston and the rubber spacers. It helps dampen the noise a lot.

The good thing is that the new 2011 solo air assembly uses a shrader valve instead of the retarded wavy spring washer.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
So just the wavy washer can cause that noise?How much oil do you want to put in the air spring?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
So just the wavy washer can cause that noise?How much oil do you want to put in the air spring?

Yes sir your correct. If you ever examine the Solo Air assembly the Wavy spring washer allows the piston to move ~1mm to allow the positive air bleed to the negative air chamber. The Piston moves only when the fork reaches top out. Hence why you hear the click sound when the fork rebounds back because the fork reaches top out.

You can also try to slow down your rebound on the fork. The Boxxer does have Low and High Speed Rebound for a reason.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I pulled it apart again and I see what you are talking about.I added the oil to the top of the air spring the noise is still there.
I guess I will have to locate a new wavy spring,thanks for the help.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK got a question before I tear it down, the last 1/3-3/4" of top out on the fork seems like theres nothing there just freeplay as if the airside wasnt keeping resistance on it...

If I pull up it the fork comes out a little and when i set the bike back down it drops down 1/2"... Feels like bushing slop has a clunk noise that acts like the headset popping except its not I checked and double checked its not the cartridge either....

I can ride with a little slop I have new bushings on the way but the little freeplay in the top 1/2-3/4" is bugging me... LOL
Any ideas???

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
OK got a question before I tear it down, the last 1/3-3/4" of top out on the fork seems like theres nothing there just freeplay as if the airside wasnt keeping resistance on it...

If I pull up it the fork comes out a little and when i set the bike back down it drops down 1/2"... Feels like bushing slop has a clunk noise that acts like the headset popping except its not I checked and double checked its not the cartridge either....

I can ride with a little slop I have new bushings on the way but the little freeplay in the top 1/2-3/4" is bugging me... LOL
Any ideas???

Thats the Solo Air Piston moving up and down. Thats why you get a little sag. The piston move upwards since the whole shaft assembly pushes against it. However once you lift the fork up the weight from the shaft assembly reduces and the piston moves back down. Mine does it also, It should be doing this. This is why you can push the fork down without any issues since the Air is bleeding from the Positive to the Negative Chamber. However it shouldn't be moving .5 inches. Mine sags down at least around 1-4mm the same amount of movement the Solo Air piston moves.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
You might need a new wavy spring washer. After a while the spring washer looses its resistance over time and moves more freely. You can try to bend it a little and see if that helps. What I did was add a wavy spring washer underneath the Solo Air piston on the Shaft. So it sits in between the Solo Air piston and the Travel spacer.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You might need a new wavy spring washer. After a while the spring washer looses its resistance over time and moves more freely. You can try to bend it a little and see if that helps. What I did was add a wavy spring washer underneath the Solo Air piston on the Shaft. So it sits in between the Solo Air piston and the Travel spacer.
Thank you!! Ill look into it monday after I commence beating on it some more... 80 degrees sunday so i plan on hammering out some shuttle runs then Monday it will get broken down....

That atleast gives me a place to start I appreciate it and yeah I can see how a little would be needed... :thumb: Thanks....

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I bought the Boxxer WC service kit off Jenson for $50 and did the air spring overhaul today,the knock is gone and it feels buttery smooth.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
had this problem too
replaced the wavy waser and it didnot help..
so today I\ve replaced all the air side cart
now it is like new
after the replace I found out that the plastic part on top of the air cart was too loose and that was probably the couse to the noise...
the price for the cart was good.
see ya next week in morzine :)