Quantcast

2010 boxxer wc or 2010 888 wc ti?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
anyone have any exp with the new 888?
I really like the feel of the marz forks
but RS got a lot better in the last years...
the 888 wc is ti spring vs the boxxer is air.
I like the feel of spring better than air. in small bumps and everything
how does the wc boxxer feel?

thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you prefer spring, why in the world would you buy a Boxxer WC?? Do you just have a need to buy the most hyped and overpriced models?

As for the marz, I have not seen enough of the 10' products around to be convinced that they have addressed all the 08' and 09' issues. The Boxxers have been on bikes (regular peoples bikes) for the entire season....there were issues and it seems they are being addressed. At this point, the 10' marz product is pretty much un-proven/tested.

The Boxxer team has the exact damper, adjustments, construction, and now comes with miltiple spring in the box as the WC. The WC swaps the multiple springs with a few o-rings, and is 150% more $$ than the team...

The 888 is the price of the WC, but the weight of the Team. Ti springs while are 'cool' are a VERY poor weight reduction/$$ in a fork. If you happen to need different springs than stock....based on prior evidense, they will be very difficult to find if at all.

Lastly, do you really want to support a company with the kind of documentation that Marz provides? Go read the '888 owners manual' and then ask yourself if you could do ANY work on the fork based on the provided knowledge....

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I ride the 07 888 ata for 2 years now. I like it but I wish it had the feel of a spring in the first 2 " (in small bumps)
I do all the service of my bike alone. (the fork and the rear shock and everything else)
you are rigth about the ease of reading and servicing RS forks.
but even wutout servive guides you can do anything if you dobt care of being alittle adventure.
if the boxxer feels like the 07 888 and like aspring in small bumps... I sure want it. (can you tell me that?)

I just dont like that air forks need more care and more service than springs.

thanks for your answer.
(sorry for my english :)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if it was me, id get the 888 Ti Evo. their coil forks feel fantastic and from what ive seen so far, all the issues with sloppy bushing have been resolved in the 2009 models, with even bigger improvements on the 2010's.
ive had nothing but fantastic CS from Marz and so far bad CS from RS in getting my friend's Team replaced b/c of a warranty issue.
the 888 Evo is still another nice option and cheaper too. the Ti version isnt that much lighter

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
If you want Air with the Small Bump sensitivity you may also want to look at the 2010 Manitou Dorado AL. It is like butter and still stands up nice for pedaling too. Was crazy feeling to me when I road it for the first time and it stuck to the ground as well as it did over everything I threw at it. Still ether way you put it a 2010 Boxer WC and 888 WC are great forks too. I have not had that much time on the 2010 Boxxer and 888 myself. All 3 have had RD at the WC level with top racers. I would go out a try them all somehow before buying them.

Good luck man!!!!

Cecil

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No contest, get the boxxer. The 888 low-speed damping is piss-poor, and you can't adjust it indepedantly of anything. The 888 simply uses small orofices at the bottom of the catridge past the base (high-speed) valve and you close off the orofices to gain low-speed damping, except that this also restricts the high speed movement, and there is no way for it to blow-off. Screw that, get something with decent damping. Marzocchi has pushed this crap as far as it will go as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, now you can re-shim the base-valve in the 888, but who friggin cares with that piss-poor low-speed damping. Go for the Boxxer, at least they're doing damping and a few other things right.

You can say hell has froze over if you want, but I'm not really a fan of my Reba, I've had the rebound-head seal (keeps the oil in the damping chamber) fail a few times now. Even still, I could send it to push and get upgraded seals and a high-speed rebound valve and then have damping lightyears ahead of any marzocchi. I'll also probably never be much of a fan of the semi-open-bath system, as tuning with oil height is simple, stiction is non-existant with open bath and you don't run into the kinds of problems like I have with my reba, but it's a small price to pay to get proper damping.

Whatever you get, get the coil version.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No contest, get the boxxer. The 888 low-speed damping is piss-poor, and you can't adjust it indepedantly of anything. The 888 simply uses small orofices at the bottom of the catridge past the base (high-speed) valve and you close off the orofices to gain low-speed damping, except that this also restricts the high speed movement, and there is no way for it to blow-off. Screw that, get something with decent damping. Marzocchi has pushed this crap as far as it will go as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, now you can re-shim the base-valve in the 888, but who friggin cares with that piss-poor low-speed damping. Go for the Boxxer, at least they're doing damping and a few other things right.
They sure as hell aren't making their chassis right. I insist my fork stays together...but that's just me.

Did you proofread ANYTHING you typed to see that it made sense? First of all, the Zoke dampers have had spring valves (variable orifice size) up until now. The holes on the outside of the cartridge do nothing at all. That's just so the oil can circulate. The adjuster is for spring preload. Ever notice how the tension of the adjuster changes near the end of the range? It isn't cutting edge, but it's fairly effective if set up right.

The 2010 888 cart uses an entire different kind of valving than what they've had so far - shimstack valve vs. spring valve. And guess what, the adjuster is a low-speed bypass needle! You have no idea what the low speed control will be on that fork, and neither do I. But hey, at least the two damping stages are in parallel and not in series like some of those other piss-poor dampers....right?

And no, I do not have one of the new 888's, nor will I be buying one. I do know their damping is going to be something much much different than their previous versions. Better or worse...how the hell should I know? If it's what they say it is, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to be set up as well as any other true shimmed damper out there. Similar in function/layout to an Avy cart, BOS cart, any open chamber moto cartridge, etc etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They sure as hell aren't making their chassis right. I insist my fork stays together...but that's just me.

Did you proofread ANYTHING you typed to see that it made sense? First of all, the Zoke dampers have had spring valves (variable orifice size) up until now. The holes on the outside of the cartridge do nothing at all. That's just so the oil can circulate. The adjuster is for spring preload. Ever notice how the tension of the adjuster changes near the end of the range? It isn't cutting edge, but it's fairly effective if set up right.

The 2010 888 cart uses an entire different kind of valving than what they've had so far - shimstack valve vs. spring valve. And guess what, the adjuster is a low-speed bypass needle! You have no idea what the low speed control will be on that fork, and neither do I. But hey, at least the two damping stages are in parallel and not in series like some of those other piss-poor dampers....right?

And no, I do not have one of the new 888's, nor will I be buying one. I do know their damping is going to be something much much different than their previous versions. Better or worse...how the hell should I know? If it's what they say it is, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to be set up as well as any other true shimmed damper out there. Similar in function/layout to an Avy cart, BOS cart, any open chamber moto cartridge, etc etc.
No, they have not had spring orofices, I've sawed their cartridges in half, they've all had shimmed base valves with the low-speed control I mentioned. For the ones that I didn't saw in half (like my 888 cart) I can look up in there and see the same base-valve. The new setup is a little better (moar shims) and the ability to rearrange them. Maybe the new cart adjusts low-speed via needle valve, but we've already seen pictures if it apart and it doesn't seem to have that feature. No matter, as I said, it's too little too late.

Last edited: