Quantcast

2010 Boxxer weakness

BIGHITR,

Slide the fork bumpers off the fork, loosen and slide the lower crown off the fork stantions.
Then cycle each side separately and pay close attention to whether or not the damper side stantion feels like it is is hanging up.
If it cycles up and down smoothly you dont have a bad rebound assembly and you can feel positive vibes from Rockshox

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
"Hi, this is Manitou, how may I help you?"

"I'm looking for parts for my travis"

"I'm sorry, sir, what was that? You're headed to paris?....chhhhhhhhh.......You're breaking up..hissssssssssssss...."...click

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
heres an idea. mount the forks to see if theres actually a problem before more sand gets in your vagina.
if youre upset about "blowing good hard earned money" on parts, why the hell did you buy two identical forks? and if RS says they wont fix it unless theres a issue, then good for them. why should they fix something that probably doesnt need to be fixed?
Bought two because I have two bikes Rice. As to Manitou, they were out of fork springs for that model just a year and a half after it was made. I called, they had no more springs. I know HB bought them Jon, that's what I've heard on RM here and each time people said that they went down hill since HB bought them out.

"Hi, this is Manitou, how may I help you?"

"I'm looking for parts for my travis"

"I'm sorry, sir, what was that? You're headed to paris?....chhhhhhhhh.......You're breaking up..hissssssssssssss...."...click
That was pretty funny Sandwich.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have also had issues when rebuilding boxxer forks of air getting trapped in the damper or lowers. Makes things feel very strange and is corrected by compressing and burping the fork. Not sure this is your issue, but something to watch out for.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
There seemed to be a delay or at least a very odd sensation when moving the shaft up to back down. I don't know if it's supposed to feel this way or not. It is the updated seal head with the groove.
Any idea on whether it's possible to remove the oil seal with the stanchion still in it? I'd rather not rebuild the fork yet again... I suppose if the spring side is sticky, it's either the seal or the bushings.
It feels like the bushings are binding about halfway up and the fork doesn't want to react.
A little delay is normal for the damper (return valves opening and closing) and chances are if you have the grooved sealhead, the damper is probably fine.

In my experience the stiction usually occurs between the stanchions and bushings themselves. You can't take the oil seals out without the stanchions removed, so maybe just ride the thing and leave the diagnosis until the next time you want to service the fork?

Make sure you try what I said with the wipers+seals removed, and cycling a stanchion in by hand (making sure the damper/spring rod is pushed all the way into the stanchion, or better yet removed, so it's not interfering). This will be a dead giveaway of bushing stiction, especially if it's at a particular point.

It's pretty hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet but I find you really have to narrow things down one by one and eliminate possibilities to figure out what's wrong. If it does turn out to be the bushings (and the fork is out of warranty) then I've found the sandpaper-on-broomstick thing is the only saving grace, and can actually help a lot if done carefully and correctly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know HB bought them Jon, that's what I've heard on RM here and each time people said that they went down hill since HB bought them out.
actually that's not accurate. HB buying them out was probably the best thing that's happened to them (Manitou) in years. If HB hadn't acquired them, there's a very real possibility they would have gone under.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I may have to change this thread title to "2011 boxxer strongness".

It looks like RS is going to warranty my 2010 to a brand new R2C2....I just have to drop the fork off at the awesome LBS and pick up my new one when it arrives. NICE!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fk yeah!

Hopefully the new one is great, keep us updated.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I may have to change this thread title to "2011 boxxer strongness".

It looks like RS is going to warranty my 2010 to a brand new R2C2....I just have to drop the fork off at the awesome LBS and pick up my new one when it arrives. NICE!
Just curious to know which shop in the Boston area is "awesome". Also, did you buy that fork new?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
let me allow the fork to arrive first. I don't want to jinx anything and then have nothing to show for it. I'll spill the beans ASAP, hopefully early next week. And it's outside of boston not inside. Closest thing I have to a good LBS right now is Cycle Loft, but this wasn't them.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Let me be the FIRST to thank THIS guy!

Because I was on my way to work this morning and got in touch with Rockshox about my twin boxxers, I gave them both serial numbers over the phone, and they told me my forks were made in March which was way past the first few production months that had the problems on their boxxers. They said the problems were in fact on the Team but with earlier production models so like right after I got off the phone with them I was driving down the road with my hands up in praise like this!

"THANK YOU GOD!!!!!" :thumb:

OMG what a relief. I was so upset and so afraid I was going to have to unload them both on Ebay for a loss. Will be mounting both to my bikes shortly. Cool pics to come.

SO happy now!:weee::dance::happydance::banana:

From now on, I'm coming on here and asking if they're are any problems with ANYthing that I'm getting ready to buy. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one!

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
This may sound crude but it works... When rebuilding the Boxxer, try to avoid Latex gloves that have that white powder. What happens is that as you rebuild the fork, that white powder crap gets on the fork and causes a crap ton of stiction. My advice is try to find some mechanic gloves without the powder stuff (Blue ones) or just rebuild the fork without any gloves.

Also make sure your seals Oil/Dust are seated correctly. I noticed on some Rock shox forks, the seals are misaligned from the factory.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
$5 says even with our advice to open the forks up and lube them proper that BIGHITR does not, rides them dry and starts new thread in 2 months about how much RS screwed him........ with lots of smilies and references to Hay-Zeus
Okay, WHY, OH WHY must I open a brand new fork if Rockshox says I have a late model fork that was manufactured well after the problem was discovered, AND FIXED by then? Are you saying that Rockshox would deliberately lie to me? I mean it would cost me shipping to send it back as it's only February since purchase and anyone could tell these have not only never been mounted, they've never been used. I'm sure they'd warranty them if they're defective. But please, tell me why I need to take apart a brand new fork? And what am I looking to do? Change the oil out? And if so, what oil do I use because I'm sure I'll follow Rockshox instructions and you guys will tell me I have to put in some kind of whale grease or something. :/

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Because its a mass produced product and you should trust no one.
It takes 20 minutes and then you have control of whats going on.
Even Marz forks can come low on oil so just step up and learn how to maintain a downhill fork .
Loon, this is a BOXXER! It's NOT a Manitou. Trust me, I can "step up!" I've pulled apart my Manitou's no problem but they're simple rebound and compression. I've never opened a boxxer before. I'm a little worried I'm going to open it and somethings going to come apart that I won't be able to put back together. This thing has all kinds of tweaks on it.

Your making it out to be a pandoras box or something. Its the same deal man.
Go to youtube and type in 2010 boxxer rebuild and you can watch a couple of vids. If you are not prepared to do this then you will always have issues with boxxers.
Generally "set it and forget it" does not gel with owning a boxxer.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Your making it out to be a pandoras box or something. Its the same deal man.
Go to youtube and type in 2010 boxxer rebuild and you can watch a couple of vids. If you are not prepared to do this then you will always have issues with boxxers.
Generally "set it and forget it" does not gel with owning a boxxer.
You talking about this one?

Because that's all that seems to come up. They call it an "UPDATE." Is that what you're talking about? So I have to pull my brand new fork apart to see if it has the wrong insides, if so, I have to have Rockshox send me the parts and install it myself? I don't have a 24mm but I can get one I guess. He mentions "red grease" too. Will any grease work or is red grease specific to my fork? He also doesn't show any reassembly or how much oil to put back in. Then again, the manual says some specific Rockshox fluid I have to use apparently.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
A little delay is normal for the damper (return valves opening and closing) and chances are if you have the grooved sealhead, the damper is probably fine.

In my experience the stiction usually occurs between the stanchions and bushings themselves. You can't take the oil seals out without the stanchions removed, so maybe just ride the thing and leave the diagnosis until the next time you want to service the fork?

Make sure you try what I said with the wipers+seals removed, and cycling a stanchion in by hand (making sure the damper/spring rod is pushed all the way into the stanchion, or better yet removed, so it's not interfering). This will be a dead giveaway of bushing stiction, especially if it's at a particular point.

It's pretty hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet but I find you really have to narrow things down one by one and eliminate possibilities to figure out what's wrong. If it does turn out to be the bushings (and the fork is out of warranty) then I've found the sandpaper-on-broomstick thing is the only saving grace, and can actually help a lot if done carefully and correctly.

Going to try the sand paper trick out tonight. What grits did you use? Wet with oil?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my new R2C2 came in and the difference is amazing. I don't know if it was my doing or the PO that ruined the original fork, but this new one is smooth through its entire stroke, no stiction, damping controls DO STUFF, maxle clicks, knobs click, it's so weird...it's like they designed the fork this way.

Anyways...I feel better!