Quantcast

2010 Buffalo Creek FR Build Dates

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
This is straight copy and pasted from my post on Vital, but I figured why type it twice?

For those of you looking for gravity-oriented riding spots on the Front Range, here's your chance to help make it happen! COMBA will be hosting build days for the "black diamond" trail on:

3/27
4/17
5/22 - 5/23
6/19
7/24 - 7/25
8/21
9/11
9/25
10/16

Those early dates are ground condition-dependent. Last year was super fun and productive. Much of the trail got roughed in and several sections had some finish work done, but there is still a long way to go before this thing is ready to ride. This really is a special opportunity to build something legitimately sick in cooperation with the Forest Service, and with so many build days this season there is no excuse to not come dig.

Full details should be available soon at www.comba.org

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
where is buffalo creek? i'm dyin for a good trail, if it's near fort collins i'll be there like every weekend. if not, fvck i'm a lonely guy, i'll be there anyway.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
on comba's site it said something about a trail building class. do you have to attend one before you build? or does building under their direction count as your education.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
Anyone and everyone is invited to come dig, no experience/training necessary. We break down into several 5-ish person teams, each with at least one experienced builder, and divide up the work. While not formal training per se, you will learn A LOT about building fun trails that are sustainable.

Al C. - Buff Creek isn't exactly in your neck of the woods, but you should definitely try to make it down! Even if you don't end up riding there all the time (although it will be worth the drive once finished, fwiw), this trail sets a precedent of Forest Service cooperation with mountain bikers in building what we want to ride in the Front Range. Once they see that this works, everyone stands a better chance of getting similar trails approved. Also, I noticed you're looking for some DH riding buddies. This would be a good opportunity to meet some. Respect is often best earned with shovel in hand..

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
Pesqueeb - No worries man, I feel your pain. Thanks for the props, a few people have put in some serious time on this and they definitely deserve the recognition!

fubuki

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
PNW
You can count me in. I've been looking to get more involved in the scene here after moving from Seattle to Denver. I've only ridden the resorts and it sucks waiting until mid to late June to ride.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
anyone wanna carpool? i'm way up in the fort so i'll be drivin a ways anyway but if someone lives between here and there i'd split gas so i don't have to bring my truck all the way down there.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
right on thnx man, i got my own pickup so if there's other people up here then i could hook a ride as well. plus then we could haul tools.

TRS

Chimp
Mar 18, 2010
I'm in foco and might be heading down there at some point. I have also been to IMBA building classes.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
^^^ya just PM me if you ever wanna get down there, i assume bringing some tools would be better than showing up empty handed and unfortunately i live in a tiny apartment with no room for tools. I'd drive if you got some, otherwise we could stop in Boulder and steal my dad's.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
So unfortunately the the first build day which was scheduled for this upcoming Saturday is cancelled due to snow cover and this week's forecast. Bummer, but this is Colorado in the spring, right?

And regarding tools, COMBA actually has enough for everybody so no worries there. I don't like to bring mine for fear of them getting mixed in and lost.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
Well, yeah, technically a bunch of stuff up there, including this trail, could be shuttled, but it would be an impractically long shuttle. And it wouldn't be 100% downhill. That doesn't mean this trail won't be rad, though. Billy, you should come check it out!

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
I just realized that I have Army Reserve drill during the next build weekend, dammit! Ya think they'll let me go if I tell em I gotta go do manual labor for a couple days? They tend to like that.