Quantcast

2010 CCDB's

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I got a new CCDB and just realized that Cane Creek has done something to prevent a rider from running Obtanium Ti Springs....

The set up the new CCDB.s with a Black "Body Glove, which prevent the Spacers from being installed in order to run the Obtanium Ti springs....

As you can see through these images, the "Body Glove" prevent the spacers that allows you to install the Obtanium Ti spring:

On a More positive note, though, Cane Creek is selling their own Ti Springs which is is about 100.00 less than obtanium....

I take it if i remove the "Body Glove" that will void my warranty.....

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
You cut the obtainium adapter (one slit) and then you can get it on (or you could remove the Cane Creek rub protection sleeve).

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
You cut the obtainium adapter (one slit) and then you can get it on (or you could remove the Cane Creek rub protection sleeve).
I would think by cutting the adapter it would effect the spring performance...

i tried unscrewing the sleeve but it doesn;t some all the way off, it's not wide wnough to come off the shock completely... lol...

CC def. knew what they were doing....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Cane Creek has always had ti springs.
They made that sleeve to prevent spring rub with all springs.
Its not their fault that Obtainium does not make a spring to fit their shock without spacers. That said, my obtainium spring works great on my DB with the spacers.
I would just modify the adaptor like Mr. Nixon said.

The obtanium spring has such a large ID that the likelyhood of it rubbing or scoring the gold damper body is slim.

As such I would just remove the black sleeve. I'd suggest a rubber strap wrench, but make sure you twist it off in the direction that you are not going to loosen the damper body threads.

I doubt it would void your warranty, that would be unreasonable. If your nervous contact Malcolm at CC.

Best of luck.

JT

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
man must be nice to have your money kid!
Money? What money? It's calling breaking even... i sold stuff to get new stuff.... nothing is coming out of my savings or checking account... :-)

I even sold a Sony PSP with several games on Craigslist... lol

If i can unload this Obtanium Spring for 150... and just put the rest i'll be set....

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I cut my rub protector off the day I got my double barrel. My spring was rubbing the protector and making a weird noise, so I just cut it off and the extra space meant no more rubbing. Its not rocket science

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
How hard is it to figure out to take the black sleeve off then put the adapter on, then put the sleeve back on? I talked to Malcom at interbike and he said you don't even need the sleeve, he said they mainly put it on for the guys that run them on there xc bikes and want everything to look nice haha.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Cane Creek has done something to prevent a rider from running Obtanium Ti Springs....

prevent the Spacers from being installed in order to run the Obtanium Ti springs....

As you can see through these images, the "Body Glove" prevent the spacers that allows you to install the Obtanium Ti spring:

I take it if i remove the "Body Glove" that will void my warranty.....
well ?

Maybe you're just paranoid...........guess you got a good reason for that tho

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Voodoo....

I def. do, as i spend 300 Bucks on a Obtanium Spring.... :(

I just Cut the Mounting Spacer and guess what? The preload adapter is also too large for the Mountain Adapter to fit... I will contact Obtanium and see if they sent me the wrong adapters but i doubt it, because i have a set of the FOX, Vivid and the CCDB...

Well no need i will sell the spring and get a CCDB one i think i need at least a 350 lb anyway....

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I'm running a 2010 CCDB with an obtanium spring.

I asked Malcolm to leave the sleeve off on mine but have encountered this problem with a mate's shock.

You can remove the sleeve using a hacksaw blade (not attached to a handle - just the blade!). Carefully score the plastic the length of the sleeve until you're almost at the shock body, then stick a screwdriver in the slit and twist. It'll crack down the groove and comes off a treat!

The sleeve is a ridiculously tight interference fit so you'll never be able to remove it intact.

It's not a conspiracy. Using RCS springs (depending on the weight) has been known to score the shock body badly and these sleeves were a lightweight patch solution for the problem

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Repeatedly score the boot lengthwise with an exacto knife/box cutter/razor blade. Once that pierces the piece needs to "snap" off. It won't just slide off. Also won't void the warranty either, unless you destroy something else in the process I guess.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It does slide off (mine did), a little time with a hairdryer and a thick tube wrapped around the shock + vice. A strap wrench would make light work of it.

Came off a treat (it was tight though), on my next CC I just asked malcolm to leave it off. It's not neccessary with the obtainium spring like JT pointed out earlier (everyone seemed to have missed his post).

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
You guys have it all wrong... You need to buy like a 1000 pound spring, and file it down to make it fit past the collar.