Quantcast

2010 DEMO 8 BB height

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
... I have no issues with pedaling around here. I can see it taking some people time to adjust...but the pros trump the cons in my book at least...
where's "around here"? Do you ride Bromont a lot too? would you say this is a good Bromont bike?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
In all honesty, referring to low BB's, just learn to pick your pedals better, make them matter, and carry speed better. i would willingly ride one of the new Demos, im on a sunday at the moment, yes, for a week or two i had a bit of trouble getting used to the pedalling coming off a session 88, but now, im going alot faster than i was, and am carrying alot more speed.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
What was the bb height of the Sunday? I had the 2007 I really liked the feel of the bike, you definately had to watch your pedals more but I liked the way it road.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
where's "around here"? Do you ride Bromont a lot too? would you say this is a good Bromont bike?
Hi have rode a norco a-line park all summer long at bromont. I build myself a custom shock shuttle to lower the bb and get it slacker to see how it rides.
I was blown away by the result. the new geo gave a new life to the bike. I got to a approximate 63* ha and a measure 13.5 bb. At the beginning i was hitting my pedals a lot more but at the end of the day i was just riding along. I think i could be totally happy with the new demo and there are good chances you see me on one next summer because of these factors and i'm used to fsr.

Bottom line: I think people could adapt themselves to the low bb.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I hope you didn't think that was what i was implying. obviously lower bikes are not going to be good for everyone, but i'm very much of the opinion that the majority of DH riders can learn to ride these bikes w/out a tremendous amount of trouble. but i do agree that it is total BS when people write things like 'it's too low to pedal' or 'my trails are too rocky for that bike.' nonsense, those statements are proven to the contrary week in and week out on the WC circuit as well as countless local mountains both by the best guys in the world and average joes alike, whether they ever race or not.

yes, Specialized probably lost some customers but they definitely gained a few new ones who have otherwise snubbed the Demo for years.

same BS that got written about the Sunday back in the day, and by todays standards that bike is pretty average. riders adapted
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but didn't have my coffee yet when I posted that.

People make their mind up about how something works without having any experience. That's not smart. Better to keep an open mind.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but didn't have my coffee yet when I posted that.

People make their mind up about how something works without having any experience. That's not smart. Better to keep an open mind.
Who doesn't have experience???? We all ride DH bikes.....correct. Common sense would suggest if your getting pedal strikes with a 14" BB, you'll hit more with a 13.25"BB.
General Lee does make a good point..........If you don't like it don't buy it, if you do then go for it.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Common sense would suggest if your getting pedal strikes with a 14" BB, you'll hit more with a 13.25"BB.
What if that's not the case? Maybe there is a flaw in your "common sense"? You assume pedal strikes are a function of ride height, when they're really a result of poor judgment. So... does your judgement get worse because the ride height decreases? Maybe.... maybe not.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
i hope i can get on one of these frames really soon and try it out. i know the old demos like the back of my yard. i lowered my D7 by makin' shorter shuttles(355mm) and i was pleased with it. i've put on 222 E2E shock also and tried to get more sag. On a D7 with 222 shock and different shuttles the BB was 360mm and i could run 35-40% sag(the bike was low and the back wheel was and trust me on this glued to the ground) with the 216 shock i couldn't achieve that.
Guys don't get me wrong i really enjoy a bike that shreds trough corners and sticks to the ground while carving.
The thing is that the new frame is totally different. Different tubes, leverage ratio everything is designed so the bike to be LOW.(Sam and Brandon's bikes are nowhere near the production models).
I think with this new frame you can go only with a minimum amount of sag otherwise this bike really cannot be ridden. Another concern for me was the small bump compliance(the suspension is more progressive from what i've heard the 2009 is quite linear).
Maybe someone who rode the bike could tell us how the bike runs.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Whats everybody running for cranks lengths with these lower setups? is 170mm still fine or finding that 165's are the ideal way to go?

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
i hope i can get on one of these frames really soon and try it out. i know the old demos like the back of my yard. i lowered my D7 by makin' shorter shuttles(355mm) and i was pleased with it. i've put on 222 E2E shock also and tried to get more sag. On a D7 with 222 shock and different shuttles the BB was 360mm and i could run 35-40% sag(the bike was low and the back wheel was and trust me on this glued to the ground) with the 216 shock i couldn't achieve that.
Guys don't get me wrong i really enjoy a bike that shreds trough corners and sticks to the ground while carving.
The thing is that the new frame is totally different. Different tubes, leverage ratio everything is designed so the bike to be LOW.(Sam and Brandon's bikes are nowhere near the production models).
I think with this new frame you can go only with a minimum amount of sag otherwise this bike really cannot be ridden. Another concern for me was the small bump compliance(the suspension is more progressive from what i've heard the 2009 is quite linear).
As i said in my previous post the geo on team bikes and out the box bikes is differnt.

The team bikes seem to be quite progressive as it goes through the stroke. I've been running mine with 30% sag as i perfer it as i find it squats even more into turns.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
What if that's not the case? Maybe there is a flaw in your "common sense"? You assume pedal strikes are a function of ride height, when they're really a result of poor judgment. So... does your judgement get worse because the ride height decreases? Maybe.... maybe not.
Ya mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay. I think you're over complicating the situation.
Keep in mind that there many riders on here raving about these new low profile pedals comming out and how the 5 to 10mm difference is making a huge difference in pedal strikes. Now keep in mind that Specialized just lowerd the BB height of their bike by 100mm's. The riders poor Judgment occurred when they bought that bike, not when they were riding down the trail

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
Agreed... You know what the bike is when you guy it!

If your a pedaler you obviously try before you buy! You can pedal them but you have to be careful where strokes go in.

It is also worth mentioning the bike feels lazy to pedal. I'm not sure if this is more a trait of the custom angles mine has. I have not yet ridden a stock 2010...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Ya mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay. I think you're over complicating the situation.
Keep in mind that there many riders on here raving about these new low profile pedals comming out and how the 5 to 10mm difference is making a huge difference in pedal strikes. Now keep in mind that Specialized just lowerd the BB height of their bike by 100mm's. The riders poor Judgment occurred when they bought that bike, not when they were riding down the trail
give it up man. Wait until Spring rolls around and you'll see tons of riders ripping the trails on this unrideable bike, same as when the last batch of bikes with 'unrideable' geometry hit the market around '05.

If you're hitting stuff with your pedals constantly i'd chalk it up to rider error, not the bike. wider bb shells, lower bb heights, wider bars (remember all the 'they'll never fit between trees BS' that never panned out) . . . all add up to the need for an added awareness of where your bike and all its parts are relative to trail obstacles; but hardly makes the bikes unrideable. maybe you can't do it, or don't like it. cool, no problem. but i'd suggest you don't assume your experience is universal and that anyone who buys the bike is exercising poor judgement.

btw, 100mm = 4":thumb:

Last edited:

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
give it up man. Wait until Spring rolls around and you'll see tons of riders ripping the trails on this unrideable bike, same as when the last batch of bikes with 'unrideable' geometry hit the market around '05.

If you're hitting stuff with your pedals constantly i'd chalk it up to rider error, not the bike. wider bb shells, lower, bb heights, wider bars (remember all the 'they'll never fit between trees BS' that never panned out) . . . all add up to the need for an added awareness of where your bike and all its parts are relative to trail obstacles; but hardle makes the bikes unrideable. maybe you can't do it, or don't like it. cool, no problem. but i'd suggest you don't assume your experience is universal and that anyone who buys the bike is excersising poor judgemant.

Agreed!! I think as tracks we ride evolve and progress so bikes have to.... A bike like this would be a weapon at Llangollen!

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Agreed... You know what the bike is when you guy it!

If your a pedaler you obviously try before you buy! You can pedal them but you have to be careful where strokes go in.

It is also worth mentioning the bike feels lazy to pedal. I'm not sure if this is more a trait of the custom angles mine has. I have not yet ridden a stock 2010...
i couldn't agree more. i feel my Demo as very lazy bike to pedal it is more of a momentum bike. i tried one of my mates Session and it was day and night difference. but on the steep and rough i pick the Demo.

You said you have 30% sag. Do you feel the benefit of 30% over lets say 20%?

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009

today i lowered my BB to 13.8. i made some shorter shuttles. tomorrow i'll ride the bike on my local track to see how it goes

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

If you're hitting stuff with your pedals constantly i'd chalk it up to rider error, not the bike. wider bb shells, lower, bb heights, wider bars (remember all the 'they'll never fit between trees BS' that never panned out) . . . all add up to the need for an added awareness of where your bike and all its parts are relative to trail obstacles; but hardle makes the bikes unrideable. maybe you can't do it, or don't like it. cool, no problem. but i'd suggest you don't assume your experience is universal and that anyone who buys the bike is excersising poor judgemant.

ya right on..........not sure what I was thinking about the 100mm's. 25mm's then, its still a lot.
Don't forget that this thread originated from somebody asking for input on the new Demo's BB height. Myself having the previous Demo, which is virtually the same thing with some tweaks, I can say that I wouldn't like the bike if it was an inch lower. Could I ride it????????Hell ya, would I adapt to it????? Probably. I just don't think it is a change for the better. Any good rider can adapt to different bikes. I just think the new Demo has crossed the line when it comes BB height. I am entitled to have that oppinion.......
Bikes are expensive. As crazy as it seems somebody will likely base their decision to spend a lot of money based on what they read on this forum.
How about you just give it up and let me get on with my evil scheme of convincing evreybody to not buy the new Demo!!!!!!! Don't do it! Demo's will give you Swine Flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have an 08 demo 8 and have had issues w/ pedal strikes in the past, but now I'm pretty much used to it. I rode a '10 model, and the bb being lower completely changes how it feels. The thing that took me by suprise was how much different it felt than mine. It feels like it puts your body in a much more upright position. I used to think it would be too much, but now I can see how it could be nice.
The suspension also was much stiffer and ramped up faster than mine- it had a #500 spring, and I run a #550.. That change, plus the small ammount less travel could offset some of what seems like a huge change in bb height.
An inch lower on the older model without other changes might well have rode like s***.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
I have an 08 demo 8 and have had issues w/ pedal strikes in the past, but now I'm pretty much used to it. I rode a '10 model, and the bb being lower completely changes how it feels. The thing that took me by suprise was how much different it felt than mine. It feels like it puts your body in a much more upright position. I used to think it would be too much, but now I can see how it could be nice.
The suspension also was much stiffer and ramped up faster than mine- it had a #500 spring, and I run a #550.. That change, plus the small ammount less travel could offset some of what seems like a huge change in bb height.
An inch lower on the older model without other changes might well have rode like s***.
thanks man!
this is what i was looking for. thanks! hope that other riders that were on the frame or have one to step up and share their impressions on it!

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Whats everybody running for cranks lengths with these lower setups? is 170mm still fine or finding that 165's are the ideal way to go?
Keep in mind if you buy a complete Demo you will get 170mm cranks, even though half of the people on this forum say it is impossible to ride any DH bike with cranks longer than 165.

Me, I want a demo just for the fact that they stuck to their guns and spec'd the 170s.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Thats very interesting that the '10 feels stiffer then the '08 even with a softer spring???? Especially considering they have the same rear linkage. Thats some real world info you can't get by just looking at the numbers. I wonder if that has something to do with the RC4 shock. It seems many of the newer shocks: CCDB and Vivid require considerably less spring pre-load.

Anybody Know the eye to Eye of the shocks used on the 2010 Demo????

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I think some people here should setup the suspension correctly in the first place - firmer setup and/or more bottom out control, so the bike stays up in the travel, so the low BB can't be an issue. I think if you got some basic skills and experience riding/racing DH, you are aware of your pedal and body position and don't go crazy smashing them into the ground.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Chris Herndon was racing on the 2010 demo 8 this weekend. I overheard him saying that he didn't like the lower bottom bracket thus he installed a 9x2.75 double barrel. But he also runs 175mm cranks as he is a pedaling machine!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Lets face it guys..... nobody is gonna buy the bike becuse the bb heigh or the geo.

People is buying it beacuse Sam is riding one.
The other main selling point may be the colour scheme...

You don't see many people with a tape mesasuring bbs in the showroom floor...

I agree with General Lee that what is good for the top guys can't be bad for anyone

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Lets face it guys..... nobody is gonna buy the bike becuse the bb heigh or the geo.

I agree with General Lee that what is good for the top guys can't be bad for anyone
Are you even reading RM? People go nuts for every slack and low bike here. Sam riding it is just another selling point but if it had the same geo and was as low I'm quite sure a lot of people on RM would drool over it anyway (not that it's a bad thing)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually I'm thinking of buying one strictly because of the lower BB. I had an 08 and know I like the other numbers. Only difference is that I'm thinking about a small vs the medium.

If it had anything to do with sponsored riders, I'd have owned a sunday. But get this......I really didn't like the way those bikes performed. Shocking criteria I know.

I don't know where you live but I see that (and do it myself) all the time.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Actually I'm thinking of buying one strictly because of the lower BB. I had an 08 and know I like the other numbers. Only difference is that I'm thinking about a small vs the medium.

If it had anything to do with sponsored riders, I'd have owned a sunday. But get this......I really didn't like the way those bikes performed. Shocking criteria I know.

I don't know where you live but I see that (and do it myself) all the time.
Of all the variables I'd say geometry is the most important, it makes up for any other shortfall (percieved or real) that a bike might have. I loved my 222-24 back in the day not for its suspension but for its geometry that was a good 4+ years ahead of its time.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado

Wow, you definetly won the idiot post of the week!!!

i bought mine 100% on geo. I rode an m6 for a year and loved the geo but hated the suspension. the demo fixes all of it!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Of all the variables I'd say geometry is the most important, it makes up for any other shortfall (percieved or real) that a bike might have. I loved my 222-24 back in the day not for its suspension but for its geometry that was a good 4+ years ahead of its time.
I agree with that.

I definitely buy based on geometry and that's the number one selling point for me. If i'm not comfortable, I'm not riding it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I definitely buy based on geometry and that's the number one selling point for me. If i'm not comfortable, I'm not riding it.
I buy based on geometry too, but I pick one that works for me and don't care too much what WC racers or Ridemonkeys think are the hot numbers. And regarding being comfortable on the bike: some people like to adapt their riding style to an extremely low BB, others love the peace of mind to be able to pedal everywhere they want. Both ways work and get you good results in the amateur racing ranks. I don't know about WC, but this is not where I compete. ;)
I really like the recent wave of adjustable bikes like the Evil, Summum, 951 etc. So everybody can find a geometry that suits them and less experienced riders can play around with different settings to figure out what they like. :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are you even reading RM? People go nuts for every slack and low bike here. Sam riding it is just another selling point but if it had the same geo and was as low I'm quite sure a lot of people on RM would drool over it anyway (not that it's a bad thing)
Well, the same 20 people in every thread, so I guess...but how many is that in non-internetz? Geometry is one of the things I consider, but there's so much more than one or two numbers, and there's a range, and so on.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I buy based on geometry too, but I pick one that works for me and don't care too much what WC racers or Ridemonkeys think are the hot numbers. And regarding being comfortable on the bike: some people like to adapt their riding style to an extremely low BB, others love the peace of mind to be able to pedal everywhere they want. Both ways work and get you good results in the amateur racing ranks. I don't know about WC, but this is not where I compete. ;)
I really like the recent wave of adjustable bikes like the Evil, Summum, 951 etc. So everybody can find a geometry that suits them and less experienced riders can play around with different settings to figure out what they like. :thumb:
The new wave of adjustable bikes are awesome. The Montraker (sp) is one that's really high on my list but won't be coming to the US. Still the real issue I face is buying a frame. It's so tough to find something and buy it sight unseen...without riding it or knowing how the bike actually feels.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Hi everybody !

That's the same for me, concerning the way I choose a frame and the size ...

I'm 1m75 and considering a Small, as it's already longer in front than my past Medium DHRs.
How tall are you guys and which 2010 size are you considering/using ?

About the low BB now ... I run a standard DHR from 04 to 07, then finally drilled it (rear swing arm) to lower this BB, I also mounted a zero stack E-13 down the HT (already there on top).

I carefully drilled it (leaving the ability to get back to the previous mount hole), as I was warned it was a drastic change.
I immediately fell in love with it, already using 165mms cranks ! Slacker and lower ... (and won the oldmen Worlds on it)

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
I love my 2010 Demo 8 but that love almost came to an end on my last ride as I clipped a tree stump with my pedal on a flat pedaly section which threw me right over the bars in a heap on my head. Not happy and pretty dizzy.
I have not been out since but I've made some changes to the bikes cranks and shock set up.
I've gone from a 170mm Truvativ to a 165 Saint set up, I've also played with shock so it doesn't dive so much through its end stroke.
Anyway, I hope this works, but what I will say is that this is a WC capable machine and I think anyone who buys it will only benefit if they learn to ride it properly and until they do its going to be an awkward bike to ride at your personal top speed.
On an ending note, going down steep off camber stuff, good god!
This thing is amazing!!!

ianl90

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
ED75.

Im pretty much the same size as you are. 5'9 1/2 exactly without my shoes. Im on a small 2010

I havent taken it out yet other then pedaling around the street, but it feels perfect for me. I also have my FUNN stem at 50mm. Im coming off a medium Sunday. Too me, as far as i can tell from going down the street i feel more in the bike on the demo, not on it.

I was a little bit sceptical about the small also. I wasnt sure if it was going to be to short, but for someone of our size its a good choice. My knee isnt very close, and the cockpit doesnt feel cramped at all.

Hope this helps.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Slacker and lower ... (and won the oldmen Worlds on it)
Congrats mate, that's awesome. Old mens or not, you're probably the only DH world champ I can count that has posted here.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Congrats mate, that's awesome. Old mens or not, you're probably the only DH world champ I can count that has posted here.
Pleasure man ! ;)
I think I already read a few words from EC over there ... (Eric Carter was 4X world champ' in the real category !!!)

To Ianl90 => The Small is in my garage ... in pieces as I choose to go with the white Demo 1, and sell almost every part of it.