Quantcast

2010 Demo vs. Session 88

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I searched and couldnt find any actual threads comparing these two bikes so I thought I would see what you guys think.

Ive had a lot of time on Demo's over the years (had an 05 and currently an 08) and I like them a lot. But recently I've found out I can get a good deal through the bike shop and can basically get a Session or Demo 8 II for around the same price. So does anybody have any actual riding time on the two bikes to compare them? I like the idea of the Demo being even lower and slacker than my current one but the geometry of the Session is pretty nice too. Ive been riding a small Demo 8 and would definitely get a small 2010 Demo but i'm not sure about the sizing on the Session. Im about 5 9-5 10ish and like a smaller bike that I can move around so i'm between a small or medium Session. Any input would be appreciated!

Also, what is the stock handlebar width on the Big Earl bars on the Session? Couldnt find it on the Bontrager or Trek website...

Thanks!

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
You've been riding a demo this long and like it a lot, I would stick with it. It's still FSR so it will feel familiar and the new frames have DIALED geometry. Disclaimer: I haven't been fortunate enough to ride the new one. I have been on a Session, and I wasn't really digging the feel. Great bike, but it just seemed uncomfortable and awkward to me. My advice would be ride both and go from there. But since that isn't usually and option, I would get the demo.
Plus sam hill has one, so everyone should have one.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
i have been on Demos for 3 years and liked it a lot. i had the 09 and lowered it with custom shuttles and was perfect. i tried a Session 88(medium) and i didn't like it at all. i felt cramped on it(i am 5.10) and the bike didn't felt stable. i don't wanna know how it would perform on very steep rocky track. it pedals good and it's light(and thats not always a good thing). now i am between a 2010 demo or Revolt. that is my own personal experience!

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i have been on Demos for 3 years and liked it a lot. i had the 09 and lowered it with custom shuttles and was perfect. i tried a Session 88(medium) and i didn't like it at all. i felt cramped on it(i am 5.10) and the bike didn't felt stable. i don't wanna know how it would perform on very steep rocky track. it pedals good and it's light(and thats not always a good thing). now i am between a 2010 demo or Revolt. that is my own personal experience!
What size Demo do you ride?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
2010 Demo is not slacker then the 2008......just lower.
I have an 08 Demo as well, and love it too, but I'm not sure I'd want the bike an inch closer tot he ground.......1/2 inch maybe but 1 whole inch is a lot. Does the Small Demo come with 165mm cranks??? Maybe get some of the thinist pedals you can find, combined with 165mm cranks.
Demo's are great and I'm sure they're much tougher then the Session, yet not much heavier.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Biffffffff, the small Demo does come with 165mm cranks although website spec says 170mm. I swapped my cranks to 170's.

yes the bike is damn low... bb height currently 335mm ~ 13.2" but like anything once you are used to it you should do alright....

Haven't ridden a Session so I can't compare but your decision sounds more like do you want to stick with your tried and true or try something new?

Both bikes will be great capable bikes..

I guess it all depends do you want people to call you a Sam Hill groupie or do you want people to tell you your bike was made from recycled popcans....

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
I guess it all depends do you want people to call you a Sam Hill groupie or do you want people to tell you your bike was made from recycled popcans....
quote of the day for sure

i own an 09 session and i can say it isnt as stable as the 2010 demo...but it is more livley in the corners and gives you wings (the weight thing) i wanted to ride a demo this year because i like the geo, but i couldint sell mine and the read end spacing is just stupid. keep that in mind. all your wheels have to have 135x10mm hubs and off center...which i think is kind of weird considering every other bike on the market uses 150x12. both bikes are damn fast. just a bit different in how you ride them.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
if you end up going with the session defiantly go with the medium. The standover on the small, medium, and large is all the same. the main difference is reach and personally i wouldn't want it much shorter for my tastes

I'm 5'10" and have a med session and it feels great, turns on a dime and is plenty stable for my tastes. I swapped the 50mm rise stem with a 0 rise 40mm and put on a 745mm wide bar.

Last time i was told there were still a couple of small session FR's on closeout so if you like the saint kit you could possible snag one on a deal. Call a Trek dealer and ask them to look.

btw the bars are 711mm wide.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
@yd35 i ride a Medium witch is quite long in the wheelbase department. and maybe that's why i dont find the medium session comfortable. i also found the Medium Revolt to be short so i am lookin' at a Large.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
as for the axle size....I get the use of the 135 by 10. It saves weight, and the 10ml thru-axle seems just as stiff as a 12. Having a wheel dished to fit a Demo takes between 5 and 10 minutes........pretty basic.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Thats kind of what I was afraid of when going to the Sesssion. Unfortunately no Demos available till June, but I think i'm going to wait and go for the 2010 Demo. Thanks guys!