Quantcast

2010 Fox 40

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
Well i did a bunch of searching but i couldn't find any good threads on the 2010 Fox 40. I am in need of a new fork and i do not want to go for the boxxers even tho i like my 07 WC due to the 2010 boxxer problems.

So what can you guys tell me about the 2010 Fox 40? Heavy maintance like the boxxer?

How easy is it to service them?

Tuning ease?

Any major complaints?

Thanks guys

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
So what can you guys tell me about the 2010 Fox 40? Heavy maintance like the boxxer? It's sweet! No.

How easy is it to service them? Very easy. All the info is up on their site.

Tuning ease? The new adjustments provide a descent range of compression adjustment. You can also get more compression with a custom tune but it is not necessary, imo. You can run the 2010 pretty firm.

Any major complaints? No.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Great fork, easy to service even for a suspension newb like me, the seals seem to last a bit longer as well. But this could be hit or miss. Feels fantastic out of the box, just put in the spring that feels best and your set.

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
The 2010 40 is identical to the 2009. I've been on an 09 for a year now and like it. Fox seemed to work out all the bugs on them from the past.
What bugs where that, any common overall problems? I own a '06 and the only minus that I can come up with is the lack of DM-stem mounts...

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
The new 40 works amazingly well. THe changes from '09 - 10 are the FIT damper. It's supposed to have more oil volume (correct me if I'm wrong) and the compression circuits are supposedly more isolated.

From my brief ride experience on it (Mammoth race weekend) it is head and shoulders better than the previous 40's I've ridden full seasons on (07 & 08). THe new damper works amazing. THe isolation between high and low speed compression is alot better than previous models. My old models would not be so isolated in the adjustments, being that the low speed compression would affect the high and mid speed compression. The low speed compression circuit keeps the fork up in its travel without sacrificing too much bump compliance. The damping seems to open up in rough stuff and be buttery and smooth like Fox is known for. It saves from brake dive in corners, diving in mid speed hits, and braking bumps...I don't know what else to say. It;s the best fork I've ever ridden (aside from a new boxxer, i haven't gotten any time on that fork yet.)

If you have any specific questions let me know and I'd be happy to answer.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
good to know thanks for all the responses.. i think i am gonna go w/ the 40 over the boxxer. I do like my boxxer. i've riden the hell outa it but this new 40 seems great.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've talked to Fox about this - the only difference between 09 and 10 is paint. The dampers are exactly the same.

I'm extremely pleased with my 09 so far. The low and high speed compression adjusters cover enough range to allow my preferred set-up and the fork feels just as good 3 months in as it did new.

amnonis

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
The new 40 works amazingly well. THe changes from '09 - 10 are the FIT damper. It's supposed to have more oil volume (correct me if I'm wrong) and the compression circuits are supposedly more isolated.
just because you asked for it...
Yes you're wrong - The FIT was there from the first day 40 was born
and you're wrong again regarding that it's supposed to have more oil. exactly the opposite. FIT went into fox 32 line in order to reduce weight by reducing the oil volume.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
just because you asked for it...
Yes you're wrong - The FIT was there from the first day 40 was born
and you're wrong again regarding that it's supposed to have more oil. exactly the opposite. FIT went into fox 32 line in order to reduce weight by reducing the oil volume.

ahhhhh..... The FIT cartridge was not used in the 2005 Fox 40. I was under the impression the 2009's had it though.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
All Fox 40's have a FIT cartridge. The only difference between the 09's and 10's is the graphics.

As for other changes from previous years. On the damper, a bushing is used to eliminate any side to side play to avoid wear and air getting into the system.

Also, the stantions are shorter on 09-10 40's.

I have opened up my fair share of 40's, and there are no drastic changes to the system. Just small tweaks to keep weight down, and to keep maintenance to a minimum.

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
All Fox 40's have a FIT cartridge. The only difference between the 09's and 10's is the graphics.

As for other changes from previous years. On the damper, a bushing is used to eliminate any side to side play to avoid wear and air getting into the system.

Also, the stantions are shorter on 09-10 40's.

I have opened up my fair share of 40's, and there are no drastic changes to the system. Just small tweaks to keep weight down, and to keep maintenance to a minimum.
That's why they introduced the new crown. I liked the flat crown so much more. :( It looked a lot cleaner, and less boxxer-like. Probably weighted less too.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
my first and second year model 40 did not have it. i dont even think the FIT cartridge was around in 2005/2006
My best understanding is that it's ALWAYS been the FIT cartridge, but it wasn't really labeled until recently. I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Also, the 2005/06 40's are the same at the rest. Just with minor tweaks, but it's been the same technology since Fox released it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My best understanding is that it's ALWAYS been the FIT cartridge, but it wasn't really labeled until recently. I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Also, the 2005/06 40's are the same at the rest. Just with minor tweaks, but it's been the same technology since Fox released it.
youd think that they woulda advertised it even back then since they are going bonkers with FIT this, FIT that

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I remember calling a damper service in the 40 a "fit cart" service for years. "Yeah, do you want me to service the fit cart while I'm in there?"

I'm not really sure what the differences are between the years, but the 2010 that I just got feels leaps and bounds better than my 2008 did, even though I haven't opened the 2010 yet and it only has a day of riding on it (still sticky), while I did some real nice service to my well-broken in 2008.

RC4's feel way better than regular DHX's too. 2010 Fox stuff is tits

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
heres the word. ive ridden for fox and lived a hour from the factory for over 6 years. The 40 has always come with a FIT damper and stands for “Fox Isolated Technology” which means the damper cartridge is sealed opposed to being open bath. Fox trickled the technology they learned from racing the 40 into the 2010 32mm forks. All Fox chassis’s contain a “FIT” damper in 2010. They are tuned for each individual application. The 2010 40 RC2 is the same as the 2009 40 RC2 with the exception of the limited addition World Champs 40 RC2. The World Champs 40 RC2 comes with the same compression tune that Gee Atherton raced on in 2009 and 2010 and a firmer spring rate.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
My 09 also has the FIT Cartridge and when I spoke to a Fox Tech he confirmed the only difference between 09 and 10 were the stickers and paint - just cosmetics.

I came off an 08 Boxxer WC. While I don't have any complaints about the WC and maintenance was never really an issue for me either I do feel that the 40 out performs it in every aspect. All the adjustments work better and it is way easier to find a setting or several settings that I like. So far I have ridden the 40 in very dry dusty conditions and also very wet and muddy conditions and I have had no issues. Just keep the fork clean and I don't see a need to taking it apart and changing the oil until this winter.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
My 09 also has the FIT Cartridge and when I spoke to a Fox Tech he confirmed the only difference between 09 and 10 were the stickers and paint - just cosmetics.

I came off an 08 Boxxer WC. While I don't have any complaints about the WC and maintenance was never really an issue for me either I do feel that the 40 out performs it in every aspect. All the adjustments work better and it is way easier to find a setting or several settings that I like. So far I have ridden the 40 in very dry dusty conditions and also very wet and muddy conditions and I have had no issues. Just keep the fork clean and I don't see a need to taking it apart and changing the oil until this winter.
:thumb: thanks

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I can't wait to get my 2010 40.
What's everybody running for a spring, and what's your weight. I'm 195 and am hoping I will be able to use the medium Ti-spring that comes installed.

cheers

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
I can't wait to get my 2010 40.
What's everybody running for a spring, and what's your weight. I'm 195 and am hoping I will be able to use the medium Ti-spring that comes installed.

cheers
You'll probably be ok Biffff. I'm 175 to 180 and usually run the soft spring in mine but I can also run the medium with the HS/LS backed out aways. Should be perfect for you I would think with the med. ti spring.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I am 170#s running a medium Ti spring.

4 clicks pre-load
5 clicks HSC
2 clicks LSC
4 clicks Rebound
~35% sag

All settings are from full open. The fork has minimal brake dive, uses full travel on the big and high speed hits and picks up the smaller chatter better than my Boxxer WC did. Nice and plush:thumb: