Quantcast

2010 Glory build, w/pics...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What makes me laugh isn't the geo of the new bike, but the idea that people honestly think this bike isn't as fast as they are, and that its somehow the reason they aren't winning everything.
To be clear, that is not what I am saying. Just curious about the numbers as I would be if they say, gave the Trance a 65 degree head angle and an 11" BB height.

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
I was disappointed to see the geo numbers on this frame and some of the mixed rider reviews at Whistler. But I will still buy the frame set because I can get a great deal on one. I would also like to ride a different rear suspension design than FSR and see the comparison and differences. There seems to be more positive ride reviews than negative so far. I am not worried you can't go fast on that thing.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its a shame that so many on here can't see past thier own inbred little bubbles and sees the big picture.

Not every DH bike on the market is going to be built to cater to the hundreds of talk-alot wanna be pro e-racers and their own self claimed perfect geo. I know this is a hard thing to beleive but first, bike companies know more then you and second, they are in this to make money.

So you know what the giant is going to be? HUGELY SUCCESSFUL. It caters to the THOUSANDS of amateur riders and racers that don't spend all thier time whining and second guessing the bike companies, and instead want a bike that suits where they ride, and how they ride. What good is a 63 degree head angle to a guy thats in sport class, or even better just rides FOR FUN. The 65.5 is slack enough that those kinds of riders will be able to ride the bike comfortably, and its slack enough so that fast guys are comfy too. If you don't like the angles, **** OFF and go buy the flavor of the week with the 61 HA and the 7.5" bb.

Meanwhile, Giant will sell thousands of these things, and they will once again be one of the most popular DH bikes on the scene, offering excellent performance and kickass value in a complete bike.

The best part will be the guys on the Giants finishing in the exact same spot as the dood mouthing off online on his 10k intense/ turner/ v10/ evil/ whatever.

The internet is awesome.

dzm

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Sound theory there; 'cos the slower and less skillful you are, the sketchier you want your bike to handle. No, i'm serious; are you on the college debating team?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Its a shame that so many on here can't see past thier own inbred little bubbles and sees the big picture.

Not every DH bike on the market is going to be built to cater to the hundreds of talk-alot wanna be pro e-racers and their own self claimed perfect geo. I know this is a hard thing to beleive but first, bike companies know more then you and second, they are in this to make money.

So you know what the giant is going to be? HUGELY SUCCESSFUL. It caters to the THOUSANDS of amateur riders and racers that don't spend all thier time whining and second guessing the bike companies, and instead want a bike that suits where they ride, and how they ride. What good is a 63 degree head angle to a guy thats in sport class, or even better just rides FOR FUN. The 65.5 is slack enough that those kinds of riders will be able to ride the bike comfortably, and its slack enough so that fast guys are comfy too. If you don't like the angles, **** OFF and go buy the flavor of the week with the 61 HA and the 7.5" bb.

Meanwhile, Giant will sell thousands of these things, and they will once again be one of the most popular DH bikes on the scene, offering excellent performance and kickass value in a complete bike.

The best part will be the guys on the Giants finishing in the exact same spot as the dood mouthing off online on his 10k intense/ turner/ v10/ evil/ whatever.

The internet is awesome.
Have too say mate you got it in one!!!

Still have friends who ride the old glory and beat the sh*t out of other riders with more expensive bikes.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The 65.5 is slack enough that those kinds of riders will be able to ride the bike comfortably, and its slack enough so that fast guys are comfy too. If you don't like the angles, **** OFF and go buy the flavor of the week with the 61 HA and the 7.5" bb.
Anyone can benefit from a 64 degree head angle. The ONLY reason companies insist on making DH bikes slacker than 65 degrees is because 64 degree head angle bikes feel slow and sluggish in the parking lot and on the showroom floor. My bike feels weird and like **** when I pedal around my driveway (64 HA and 14in BB), but the geo is AWEZOME on the trail, especially steep/rocky/fast stuff (basically.....DH). People who have no idea what they're doing when buying a bike THINK that a "nimble flickable" bike is what they want for DH. They want to think they can easily manipulate the bike while riding it. Fact is though, steep, short bikes manipulate YOU when your riding real DH, no matter what the speed. EVERYONE will ride DH trails better on a slack, low bike. Like I've said before, I've never heard someone on a trail complain that their bike is too slack and too stable. Amateurs need a stable bike as much as the pros. I'll agree though, turning a longer bike might be more difficult for amateurs , that's true, but probably still worth the trade off IMO.

If you want a bike to just ride trails like livewire and a-line, then ya, a small steep bike is probably better for pulling whips and such.

Meanwhile, Giant will sell thousands of these things, and they will once again be one of the most popular DH bikes on the scene
That doesn't make it a good bike. Although I will say, for $1700, if I were a beginner, I don't think there's a better buy for a (new) first bike that's for sure.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD

The internet is awesome.
amen brotha! and btw, i dont ride a Giant.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Anyone can benefit from a 64 degree head angle.

That doesn't make it a good bike. Although I will say, for $1700, if I were a beginner, I don't think there's a better buy for a (new) first bike that's for sure.
Dood, its not friggen 70 degrees, its 65 FFS! Thats nowhere NEAR steep, at all. Its more the slack enough, especially if you are on trails that aren't high speed bomber runs the whole way through. You guys make it sound like the bike is completely unridable, with angles so ****ed your mind would explode in 4 pedal strokes.

I'm not talking about how it rides in the parking lot, or in your living room, or anywhere else stupid. I'm talking about the types or trails that the average DH rider is going to encounter, at non-pro speeds. Hell, even at pro speeds, its never been known as a squirrly bike.

Again, the comment about it just being good for beginners is hilarious. Its a pro level frame, no doubt. Even with the facist baby-eating wife-beating puppy-kicking 65 head angle.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Dood, its not friggen 70 degrees, its 65 FFS! Thats nowhere NEAR steep, at all. Its more the slack enough, especially if you are on trails that aren't high speed bomber runs the whole way through. You guys make it sound like the bike is completely unridable, with angles so ****ed your mind would explode in 4 pedal strokes.

I'm not talking about how it rides in the parking lot, or in your living room, or anywhere else stupid. I'm talking about the types or trails that the average DH rider is going to encounter, at non-pro speeds. Hell, even at pro speeds, its never been known as a squirrly bike.

Again, the comment about it just being good for beginners is hilarious. Its a pro level frame, no doubt. Even with the facist baby-eating wife-beating puppy-kicking 65 head angle.
i'm starting to draw some similarities with the glory to the demo. e-riders hyped and hyped how it was a heavy huck bike not suited for DH. then low and behold, a certain someone just won the WC on one. i really think it will take a pro absolutely destroying the competition on a glory to get some of these people to realize that maybe their opinion isn't always gospel, and podiums are won by the rider not the bike. if the opposite was true, we would have seen a green/black demo sipping champagne earlier today. :D

bottom line... i have personally watched this bike kill the sketchiest of steep descents at speeds i couldn't fathom. but wait a minute, the bike has a 65 degree head angle so i mustnt have seen what i did. huh, musta been a dream. :think:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

Errr, I was making general comments about geometry, not at all implying that this bike was "bad". I'm sure it's a solid bike. I never said it was "just good for beginners". I was just commenting that "holy sh*t thats a good price for a high end frame."

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Apologies sir if I misunderstood. I think I am burnt out on forums. THe e-pros have finally got me to snap hahahh

Agreed though, hard to beat the Giant performance-to-price point. I wish more companies would do affordable DH bikes that rode so well.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

Wow you are dense as hell aren't you?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Apologies sir if I misunderstood. I think I am burnt out on forums. THe e-pros have finally got me to snap hahahh

Agreed though, hard to beat the Giant performance-to-price point. I wish more companies would do affordable DH bikes that rode so well.
No worries, i probably wasn't clear enough. Ya I really stoked, this might change the whole "A good DH bike needs to be 3k+" mentality. Still blows my mind that people pay that much for non-custom bikes. Hopefully this will drive down prices. I think it'd be hard to justify spending anything above 2k for a mass produced frame with this thing out next year, despite the giants AWFUL UNRIDEABLE geometry.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

The internet is awesome.

The internet is awesome.

Haven't you heard? Apparently the new consensus is that the best XC/AM bike for downhillers need super low BB's and 66 degree HA's.

Sounds like Giant just missed the mark with the new Glory.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
A head angle steeper than 65 degrees will certainly death and dismemberment to the rider. At least that is what the internet has taught me...

cpaassens

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Christchurch, New Zealand
I might be a little bit slow here but I don't understand what the hell everyone is on about? According to the giant website the head angle is exactly the same on the 2010 as it was on previous models?

I have had 2008 glory for a couple of years and have just purchased a new 2010 glory 00 a couple of weeks ago. I live and ride in Christchurch, New Zealand. We have some of the steepest rockiest DH tracks I have seen or ridin and head angle has never been a problem for me?

If any thing with the new bike it is that much stiffer that landing front wheel first has never been a problem where as if I had done that on the old glory I would have definitely been over the bars. (that may be the difference between boxxers and 40's?)

Don't listen to all these E-experts wanking on about head angles listen to the people who ride there bikes and actually own them.

I originally bought mine as donar bike to use the parts on a Yeti 303DH but after having ridden it I never want to give it up.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Here is your answer:

:D:thumb:
Well it cant be that bad as Emmeline Ragot lived an rode here last summer an then went out an had her best season ever...even won some sorta race in Canberra in September too:thumb:
Oh a certain Spanish dude called David was here in Christchurch for our summer too along with a lil english fella called Danny:rolleyes:

Last edited:

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Well it cant be that bad as Emmeline Ragot lived an rode here last summer an then went out an had her best season ever...even won some sorta race in Canberra in September too:thumb:
Oh a certain Spanish dude called David was here in Christchurch for our summer too along with a lil english fella called Danny:rolleyes:
Right but they aren't New Zealanders :D:thumb::rofl:

All jokes :weee:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
On a side note, has anybody actually kept a tally of how many people have died because of the Giant's headangle? I lost count around 4300. It'd be good to know exactly though, as it will affect my buying decision.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Natedog any more updates on the Glory?Have you died yet because of the crazy steep head angle?My Glory frame should be showing up any day now can't wait,got all my parts together ready to build her up,on a side note what kind of chain stay protector are you using?I would like to get one.

Last edited:

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Glory is still good. HA is all relative. I haven't reall encountered anything that made me want to hang the bike up. It's light, nimble, stiff, and looks good. I think you will be satisfied. My chainstay protector is always one of two things, road bike bar tape or a tube wrapped around the stay. Nothing fancy or expensive, but very effective.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
I just had these installed by my friend at my local shop not sure if we are friends anymore I guess they are a total bitch to get lined up perfectly.
I only have one ride on them but I rode two of the steeper tech tracks around here and the bike felt great,I got the feeling of being centered in the bike more not out over the front when hitting steep corners and chutes,the rear end also seemed to hook up better I guess because of being more centered.The headangle is obviously more slack I have not put a angle finder on it yet but I would guess 63.5 and it lengthened the wb by 3/4 of a inch,the bb is the same height though.I am happy with the new geo and hopefully it will meen some faster times in my next race.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
^^^nice ride. I know others are going to be curious, as am I, so I will make the request for all of us. Please provide a review of your Dueler shock after a proper thrashing or two :thumb:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Neat cable routing :thumb:
What's the weight? ;) How do You like Giant's s-post? I switched to classy Thomson ;) after I failed to make it work with Tioga saddle :|

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
There are double-sided sticky tapes that hold very well. You could take them off with coating ;)
I heard that factory riders have cables holders on the top side of DT riveted...