Quantcast

2010 Glory VS 2011 Session 8

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I've searched the forums and there are a few threads sort of like this, but I figured I might ask the question anyway.

I am currently riding a 2010 Santa Cruz Bullit, but I find that it is a bit cramped for my liking (I'm 6' and it's a med).

I have found a couple bikes for sale, a 2010 Giant Glory size Large that seems to be in good shape and it has an angle set that gets the HA to about 64*. Everything else is stock. It's around $2K. I then also found a 2011 Trek Session 8 size Large that is completely stock and has barely been riden. It has a flat spot on the rear rim. It's in the upper $2K range, but hopefully I can talk it down to around mid 2K.

I will be riding mostly bike parks (Angel Fire). What bike would be best? I want something that will last for at least a couple seasons. Which bike would you guys recommend? Are there any major quirks with either bike that I should know about? I have heard that the session has some thin walls on the frame, is that something I should be worried about (I'm not the greatest rider but I'm also not too harsh).

Thanks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Those are not really frames you should look for if you are a hack or want ultimate durability but it would be nice if you listed part list. Though I'd not go for the trek if it's close to 3k.

btw. if you want bombproof there is an awesome Banshee Legend build on ebay for 2999$ I'd much rather try to get that down than a session. Much more a bike for a few years than the ones you've mentioned.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i rode the piss out of the original session88 frame, polished and black version. i am by no means a smooth rider. 190 lbs, and i like to case big jumps and plow thru rocky sections. Lots of Bromont, whistler, and highland days. I have zero issues with the frame. If i didnt get a screaming deal on my new session frame, i woulda kept it. I sold it to a buddy who will ride it now too. No dents in the downtube either.

Those are not really frames you should look for if you are a hack or want ultimate durability but it would be nice if you listed part list. Though I'd not go for the trek if it's close to 3k.

btw. if you want bombproof there is an awesome Banshee Legend build on ebay for 2999$ I'd much rather try to get that down than a session. Much more a bike for a few years than the ones you've mentioned.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's a mostly issue free frame but I'm surprise by the no dentness. I've seen some really battered sessions from my friends. Though most of those frames are fine if you just protect the downtube. I just speak from a perspective of someone who has often brainfarts on the trail and sends the bike rolling in different directions.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
The 2011 session 8 have a very lack luster spec and Trek considers it their park bike. The 2011 Session 88 is the beefy frame and the new Session 8's I think. 2010 Glory frame was change after the first yr of production, so take that for what it is, still a solid bike I guess. Buy to get the best parts you can. Theres nothing expectable about buying a $2500-$2800 Session 8 with a Vanilla shock that you can't even sell on eBay for $50 bucks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i love my session, and recommend it highly. My frame has held up remarkably well given the abuse I've put it through. And no, I haven't beaten up my downtube from rock strikes or broken my chainstays like everybody who buys as session has apparently done (or at least everybody who posts about them on the internet).

However, the parts spec is totally retarded for such an expensive bicycle, and you should in no way support trek being out of their mind on such a pos spec on such an expensive bicycle. While I think the geo is way better (despite similarities on paper, the bikes ride pretty different) and that the trek frame will ride better, I think you'll be frustrated by the crappy component spec.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
The Session have much better geometry. I have a 2010 Session 8 myself and it's a sick bike, I'm nothing but happy with it. IIRC the 2011 Session 8 have a slightly altered geo compared to mine, but the ride should be pretty much the same. The frame is stiff, light, plush, feels bottomless and jumps great. There is better bikes in the roughest sections, but the Glory is not one of them.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
. I just speak from a perspective of someone who has often brainfarts on the trail and sends the bike rolling in different directions.
Thanks, that's good to hear about the legend. The legend is a frame I'm thinking of upgrading to from my scythe.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Some pretty mixed opinions. It seems like the glory is out but the session is a possibility. Maybe I should just wait until something else to comes along....

I wish that Banshee Legend were a little more in my price range! That thing is sweet!

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
The Session have much better geometry. I have a 2010 Session 8 myself and it's a sick bike, I'm nothing but happy with it. IIRC the 2011 Session 8 have a slightly altered geo compared to mine, but the ride should be pretty much the same. The frame is stiff, light, plush, feels bottomless and jumps great. There is better bikes in the roughest sections, but the Glory is not one of them.
Agreed. Still riding my '09 Session 88, I have a DT protector and no dents.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Some pretty mixed opinions. It seems like the glory is out but the session is a possibility. Maybe I should just wait until something else to comes along....

I wish that Banshee Legend were a little more in my price range! That thing is sweet!
Actually with the angleset I don't think the glory will be much worse. I think some of the people here missed it.