Quantcast

2010 glory

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Um, it's a typical 4 bar linkage lots of manufactures use. No DW link. How is this like a Sunday?
I hate to say it and actually post it, but the dude is right. The similarities lie in the linkage, not the frame. The DW link and Maestro are super similar in this 2010 model. You guys who don't see the similarities don't have a sunday. Giant's design is almost exactly the same all the way down to the front lower pivot that uses the same hardware to connect the shock and maestro/dw link. Just like on a sunday. There's a reason there's a group of internet goobers pointing out the obvious. :rolleyes: Start flingin' the poo.... :D

With that said, I'd ride one. And yes I've seen one in person at Sol Vista. If the price is right, I just may buy one. Unless the Turner DW/DHR is priced reasonably. :thumb: :D

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
8.8lb's? i was going to get myself one of these to replace my 8.8lb session that is smashed to bits, but with a weight like that, i suddenly dont want it anymore.
Commencal it is.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
8.8lb's? i was going to get myself one of these to replace my 8.8lb session that is smashed to bits, but with a weight like that, i suddenly dont want it anymore.
Commencal it is.
That is 5.7kg with damper? You will feel it ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I hate frame weights quoted with shock. It depends so much on what shock & spring they have on it - better to quote two figures IMHO, one without, and one with the stock setup (and state what that is).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I hate frame weights quoted with shock. It depends so much on what shock & spring they have on it - better to quote two figures IMHO, one without, and one with the stock setup (and state what that is).
Yeah but it's how the most people weight their frames. w/o shock values are mostly inacurate company data. And if you don't run an avy or ccdb plus you are not that heavy the data should work for most people.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why? take weight with shock minus shock weight.
is it that difficult?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i rode one 3 weeks ago. pedals really well, even when it had over 40% sag. the rider has a really whack set up on his.

first gen proto:

sorry for the crap photos, cant find any of the new one, which was the same as the one posted at the beginning of the thread.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Commencal it is.
Yeah, if that's the case, I'm out. Not all of us can risk destroying a frame every 6 months... Fingers crossed this isn't more of the disposable garbage DH frame/component makers seem to be producing right now.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, if that's the case, I'm out. Not all of us can risk destroying a frame every 6 months... Fingers crossed this isn't more of the disposable garbage DH frame/component makers seem to be producing right now.
I dunno, it certainly looks like itll take it, and giant have never been known for weak frames have they?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
dhkid, those are 2 different riders/bikes right?

im stoked, my new build is gonna be stupid lite.
each picture was of a different bike. the bike in the first picture was the previous bike of the rider seen bottoming out the bike in the 3rd picture. his sponsors sent him a new one that is all bling bling and polished. the roco went on to the new frame.

the 2nd picture was one of the first few frames, now ridden by one of the junior riders. pretty much a hang me down.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
Commencal it is.
If the claimed weight includes both the frame and shock then I'm looking for something different. It would be a shame after waiting so long for it to be released.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Here is Rando's bike at Mont Sainte Anne. It does not look it in the picture but it appears to have been riden pretty hard. Either that or a crap paint job. I poked my head in the trailer and it was the only one. If there were issues or even concerns I am sure there would have been another one there. The biggest concern I see is the cable routing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Gotta love frame prices going up with life expectancy going down. It's going to suck when "1-season only" frames become the norm.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's why i'll stick with my 2006 Kona for a while. It's built pretty burly and should still last me at least another two seasons since i don't get to ride DH as much anymore.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don;t like cables routed like that, they're going to get trashed/snagged on pedals of neighbouring bikes on uplifts.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Personally, I'm stoked on this bike.

But, I think Giant's missed the ball on having some adjustments like the new Faith. If the new frame has geometry like previous Glorys, it should ride pretty good. It could be better though. (Slacker, lower option...)

Also, it's worth noting that Giant has the best warranty dept. over many brands IMO. There aren't very many companys that put a lifetime warranty on the front and rear triangle of their suspension bikes...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Wonder what the production color will be? I have seen the black proto and the blue proto - Now the newest pic in Gray. I like the Black with white letters.
But, don't really care what color cause the bike itself is pemp!

Myles

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Montréal , Canada
Wonder what the production color will be? I have seen the black proto and the blue proto - Now the newest pic in Gray. I like the Black with white letters.
A white version of it with blue letters would be awesome.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Personally, I'm stoked on this bike.

But, I think Giant's missed the ball on having some adjustments like the new Faith. If the new frame has geometry like previous Glorys, it should ride pretty good. It could be better though. (Slacker, lower option...)

Also, it's worth noting that Giant has the best warranty dept. over many brands IMO. There aren't very many companys that put a lifetime warranty on the front and rear triangle of their suspension bikes...
It's not how long is the warranty time it's how eager the company is to treat it seriously. I don't know how it but we hear some bad rumors around it here though I was asked not to tell more.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
I'm pretty sure the photos on velovert.com are indicative of the final colors and graphics of the bikes. I like the silver finish but I would strip half the stickers off of it. Is it me or are some bikes just plastered with graphics? The Intense 951 is an example of too much.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I'm pretty sure the photos on velovert.com are indicative of the final colors and graphics of the bikes. I like the silver finish but I would strip half the stickers off of it. Is it me or are some bikes just plastered with graphics? The Intense 951 is an example of too much.
correct, silver is the 2010 production color.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don;t like cables routed like that, they're going to get trashed/snagged on pedals of neighbouring bikes on uplifts.
Hanging bikes over the tailgate of a ute is the norm around here. Those cables would get smashed so fast with that method.

Coopsy

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Hanging bikes over the tailgate of a ute is the norm around here. Those cables would get smashed so fast with that method.
Just like the cables on my bike that are run in the same way? The bike that sits next to yours on the shutle rack?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Go for the Evil!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Nice looking Sunday!

Seriously Giant. Design your own damn bikes. :mad::mad:

I also love how Giant downsized their pivot bearings too. 6 months must be too long to go without changing your bearings.

Typical Giant. All show and no balls.
no, seriously... how do you really feel? :D

no offense meant. just laughing 'cause you're obviously not a fan.

more seriously speaking, who cares whether one frame looks like another frame. whenever I read internet discussions on frames I hear about what looks like it copied something else, and the "looks like" is always in my vew nothing at all like copying. I mean, there's only so many layouts a FS frame can have.

I think a lot of people make a way-too-big deal of how something looks. but maybe I'm the only person who wants ride quality first and doesn't care as much about the looks.

unless you try to make me ride a Whyte or Marin, that is. I don't even want to know how they ride because how they look makes me dizzy just looking at them, I'd probably puke if I tried to get onto one to ride it:D

Every time I open a god damn thread about some bike that happens to use two links, a triangulated swingarm, and a vertical shock position some goober has to tell everyone how it was obviously a Sunday copy. Is it the same guy on all the forums or is their a legion of goobers doing it as a team? This is more annoying than having to constantly hear about Palmer's return (easy now.... I know some of you would give him a handjob if the chance arose). Do some homework, it's interesting and you may learn something.
hey now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It's not how long is the warranty time it's how eager the company is to treat it seriously. I don't know how it but we hear some bad rumors around it here though I was asked not to tell more.
There were 2 separate customers at the LBS with destroyed 2003 and 2004 AC frames recently... They had brand new Reign X frames within 2 weeks. That's pretty good for me. :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just like the cables on my bike that are run in the same way? The bike that sits next to yours on the shutle rack?
Yeah? Didn't notice that, but then your rack sits just behind the fork crown.

Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought then.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Someone needs to measure the head angle. It's still looking steep to me.

I might get a chance to next week.