Quantcast

2010 glory

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It may pedal crappy, or really well depending on rider opinion. I think Maestro is a better riding design. BUT... I WAS TALKING ABOUT GEOMETRY!!!

Sorry about that... It must be medication time.
No, I think everybody got it. I think it was just a single non english speaker who didn't. You were clear about it.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Alright, tell that to every successful modern WC racer then, seeing as they're such "pussies."
the point is that YOU and ME (and almost everyone in this forum) are not succesful modern WC racers.

So we dont ride as fast, we do not need that slack.

And if i remenber well the yeti was 67 at the begining, i don't know now.

So fuKIN average riders cannot be complaining "the new glory is too steep.. blabla..." cuz they can barely reach the limits of one of this new generation dh bikes

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the point is that YOU and ME (and almost everyone in this forum) are not succesful modern WC racers.

So we dont ride as fast, we do not need that slack.

And if i remenber well the yeti was 67 at the begining, i don't know now.

So fuKIN average riders cannot be complaining "the new glory is too steep.. blabla..." cuz they can barely reach the limits of one of this new generation dh bikes
That's a bull**** theory that's been floating around the internet forever. First it depends from your riding style and where you ride. A lot of the slower riders still have a very similar style to the top guys and a lot of us live close to some gnarly tracks. Also the some of the top guys are runinng HA's closer to 61-62 so suggesting that we can't want 64 as it is wc stuff makes no sense. Also have you ridden a steep bike around a fast/steep track? Anytime I went steeper I had more confidence and in DH confidence often equals results. Slacker ha has the same result on a begginer rider than a pro rider - gives more confidence and stability and therfore allows (at least some of them) to ride faster.

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
Did I miss something? Is or isn't the 06-09 the same geometry as the 2010? Meaning it should be the same hugely success full WC racer/Privateer, nicest stock spec'd downhill bike on the market? I am going to have no problem ordering mine next week.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Did I miss something? Is or isn't the 06-09 the same geometry as the 2010? Meaning it should be the same hugely success full WC racer/Privateer, nicest stock spec'd downhill bike on the market? I am going to have no problem ordering mine next week.
this, right here....the truth

I rally the hell out of my glory, and it's probably one of the most popular rigs here in whistler due to it's price, spec, reliability and the great warrenty giant provides if and when you need it.....and I love super steep gnarly stuff, and super wide open high speed stuff....I came from many years on a bb7 too which was long, low, and slack.....no problems adjusting to the glory at all

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
this, right here....the truth

I rally the hell out of my glory, and it's probably one of the most popular rigs here in whistler due to it's price, spec, reliability and the great warrenty giant provides if and when you need it.....and I love super steep gnarly stuff, and super wide open high speed stuff....I came from many years on a bb7 too which was long, low, and slack.....no problems adjusting to the glory at all
One of the main reasons I am buying one(minus that our shop is a dealer) is that I rode a friends in Whistler and could not have been more impressed. It is the only bike I have imediately felt comfortable on. Now the fact that the Geo is still the same and the frame is 3.3lbs lighter and comes with an RC4! Its can't be beat.:thumb:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
That's a bull**** theory that's been floating around the internet forever. First it depends from your riding style and where you ride. A lot of the slower riders still have a very similar style to the top guys and a lot of us live close to some gnarly tracks. Also the some of the top guys are runinng HA's closer to 61-62 so suggesting that we can't want 64 as it is wc stuff makes no sense. Also have you ridden a steep bike around a fast/steep track? Anytime I went steeper I had more confidence and in DH confidence often equals results. Slacker ha has the same result on a begginer rider than a pro rider - gives more confidence and stability and therfore allows (at least some of them) to ride faster.
Word.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah..... So I'm just gonna go ahead, leave you guys to it, and close the door on my way out. Y'all play nice now...

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Yes it is the same succesfull geometry so i still not get how this people are complaining about the bike being too steep.

I heard Amiel Cavalier and Jared Rando were complaining because their bikes are not 62° head angle.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I have ridden a VP-free in a veeery fast track and yes it gets sketchy at sometimes, but thats 67, The 64 in the glory is perfect. 61-62 as you said its a freaking OCC bike.

You norbar should be working at giant RD department because you seem to know more about geometry than this people at giant.

the bike is the bang for the buck, nice looking, lite, warrantied.
you bike snobs keep buying overpriced cracking turners at the boutique.(you still won't be faster than any kid on his stinky)

gimme a break

im off

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
, The 64 in the glory is perfect.
Yes, 64 would be perfect, but the glory is 1.5 deg steeper than that.

Yeah, the 06-09 Glory was great. Solid privateer race bike because it was well specced (conservatively), and tough. When they spend 2 years redesigning it (and presumably expect it to be on the shelves for another 3), it is just disappoionting that they didn't take into account a major factor - have geometry expectations changed.

Patan, your argument about geo doesn't hold water - EVERY bike (almost) in all brands has got slacker the last few years. Reign X sits at 67, Reign at 68 etc etc. By your arguments we should still be trying to AM ride on 70 or 71 deg HAs.

Slacker = better. Most people in the bike buying public are coming to realise this.

It's not the end of the world that the Glory is 65.5HA (though it might seem so right here), it's just disappointing, you're just hearing some disappointed riders venting a little. But to say that they made the right decision is not up for debate.

As someone who was considering a Glory for next season as a privateer racer it's "no sale".

2c.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You norbar should be working at giant RD department because you seem to know more about geometry than this people at giant.
I can assure you the HA wasn't chosen only for the "will it be the fastest hardcore dh frame ever". They still want to target it to an average weekend warrior and that's why I think they choose to stay with the HA.
Also sorry for being a bit cranky.

And btw. don't tell me about cracking frames when the new glory weights around the weight of the socom. I may be a negative thinker but we already have one mass produced lightweight dh frame ;)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Ty zawsze jesteś taka maruda :P Lepiej pogoń Keitha z ramą ;)

I have just got 2010 RS Totem Solo Air Tappered custom Giant White/Blue, the fork which is on 2010 Faith 0.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/umg.php?m=100
I am going to assmeble the fork on 2010 Glory...
As Totem's axle-to-race height is slightly smaller/lower than F40's HA on my bike will probably be steeper than advertised 65,5 :D Am I doomed? :D
However, I have been riding Glory (FR) with Totem for 2 years, and I didn't feel it nervous at high speed, even with 67 deegres...

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
So, the geo would be close to sweet with a 8.5 x 2.5 shock. Just a tiny bit less travel. Would some engineer care to do some calculation on modified BB and HA with cs and WB-numbers?

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
So, the geo would be close to sweet with a 8.5 x 2.5 shock. Just a tiny bit less travel. Would some engineer care to do some calculation on modified BB and HA with cs and WB-numbers?
I guess there was a roco in 8,5 X 2,75 but i'm not quite sure.

I wouldn mess with geometry in light dh frames, maybe in the overdimensioned and heavy ones like the previous glory or faith yes , but this is way lighter.
The life of the frame may be compromissed in long term....

There may be engineers arround here but without the renders they cannot calculate anything

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Yea, true. I will try it though. Considering people have different preferenses on sag set up, I think it might work for some. I´ll let you know later, if I get a chance to try it out.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Anyone know if the frame only option comes with a headset? Usually Giant's frames do but I didn't see it on the website?

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I just measured a stock new Glory 0 (med size). The head angle with michelin comp 32 front tire, and a comp 24 2.5 rear tire is 64 degrees (the fork being set up with 8.3" from seal to bottom of lower clamp).

Hopefully this clears the air a little bit on that issue. Typos do in fact happen sometimes. I will post a full writeup once i get mine built (within 7days) and post pictures of all measurements...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I just measured a stock new Glory 0 (med size). The head angle with michelin comp 32 front tire, and a comp 24 2.5 rear tire is 64 degrees (the fork being set up with 8.3" from seal to bottom of lower clamp).

Hopefully this clears the air a little bit on that issue. Typos do in fact happen sometimes. I will post a full writeup once i get mine built (within 7days) and post pictures of all measurements...
How is that a typo then? If you put a way bigger tire on the front of course it will be slacker.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
How is that a typo then? If you put a way bigger tire on the front of course it will be slacker.
I tire like that will not change the bike 1.5 degrees. Or maybe it will??? But the tire is not 1.5" taller than the rear to make that 1.5 degree change. 1" was around equal to 1 degree of change right?

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR

Nate,

How did you get you're hands on one so early? My shop keeps telling me there still on a cargo ship crossing the Pacific.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Actually I work for Giant. I happen to be able to get my hands on one early thanks to the guys here. I will keep you guys posted and be happy to answer questions that you guys have...I'll try and stay out of the way of banter though, or do my best.

AEvans

Chimp
May 22, 2009
Virtual down tube length please! From middle of BB axle to middle of headstock!

That measurement would be brill.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR

What is the BB height given these tires and fork setup?

Thanks.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
What is the BB height given these tires and fork setup?

Thanks.[/QUOT

I actually didn't measure that. I just wanted to get the HA measurement to clear some of the air about how this bike was going to be the biggest let down.

Another note, the HA didn't change from the previous model year bikes. So if you liked that HA, this bike will be the same but on Jared's Subway diet.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Actually I work for Giant. I happen to be able to get my hands on one early thanks to the guys here. I will keep you guys posted and be happy to answer questions that you guys have...I'll try and stay out of the way of banter though, or do my best.
I work for Giant, too ;) But my frame has just left GTM, finally... Should be here in 6 weeks :weee:

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I will take a Downtube measurement for you this evening. Once the bike is built I will take fiull measurements and confirm any questions that you guys may have. What I can tell you is this bike is light! It's going to be a light build when it's done (and I'm not even going weight weenie on it) and it's going to be sick! I'll be sure to do a report and writeup. With a full writeup coming after the Mammoth race at the beginning of September.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I will take a Downtube measurement for you this evening. Once the bike is built I will take fiull measurements and confirm any questions that you guys may have. What I can tell you is this bike is light! It's going to be a light build when it's done (and I'm not even going weight weenie on it) and it's going to be sick! I'll be sure to do a report and writeup. With a full writeup coming after the Mammoth race at the beginning of September.
I'm very curious about BB height. Also, can you take a measurement on how wide the frame is just behind the headtube? An earlier post made mention of poor steering throw due to excessive bulk there...

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
That was me who mentioned the wide headtube junction. Personally I couldn't ride that bike with a boxxer on the trails I enjoy without it bothering me. My local riding spots are the shore and whistler though, so if you live somewhere with less technical riding and more straight lines you could be ok. Id imagine it would turn acceptably with a wider fork like a fox or marzocchi or obviously a single crown.

Another note, the HA didn't change from the previous model year bikes. So if you liked that HA, this bike will be the same but on Jared's Subway diet.
If the static headangle is the same as a bike with an inch more travel, the bike with less travel will have a comparatively steeper head angle once it is at its sag point. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference but it seems to be a popular discussion topic...

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
has it already been mentioned when they will be available to order?
They have been available to order for close to two weeks.

I placed an order for one, mainly because I'm slow and can get away with the abnormally steep head angle. Super excited, framesets should be in in several weeks. Completes are expected in late October.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
They have been available to order for close to two weeks.

I placed an order for one, mainly because I'm slow and can get away with the abnormally steep head angle. Super excited, framesets should be in in several weeks. Completes are expected in late October.
Don't lie to us, now I feel even slower.