Quantcast

2010 Icycle MTB Event info! 30 January 2010

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC

for those who can't view the above poster art (being blocked to Flickr)

2010 Icycle Mountain Bike Event - XC & Night DH Races
30 January 2010
Fontana Village NC

XC Race Lemans start begins at 11:00 AM in 5 minute waves for Sport, Big Bike, and Beginner Classes. Then a 1PM Expert and Single-Speed class start. The 7 mile course consists of varied terrain with rocks, roots, creeks, & wide open passing lanes offering some of the finest WNC singletrack.
Classes:
* Sport - 11:00AM (2 Laps)
* Big-Bike (10 inches total travel, flat pedals, and 35 lbs) (co-ed) -11:05AM (1 Lap)
* Beginner - 11:10AM (1 Lap)
* Expert - 1:00PM (3 Laps)
* Single-Speed (co-ed) - 1:05PM (2 Laps)
There will be a Chilli Dinner Special 2:30pm - 5:30pm ($8 includes cornbread)​

Prices:
* One Event - registration: $30.00
* Dual Entry Category - registration: $50.00
Online Registration Closes: January 27, 2009 02:00 PM Pacific Time.

Registration and check in at the Fontana Village Adventure Center 8:00AM to 11:30 AM for XC. and 8:00AM to 5:00PM for downhill.

Night DH Race Not for the Faint at Heart. In order to participate, riders must have a 10 watt or greater night riding light. Racers will not be permitted on course with improper lighting.

Night Downhill Race begins at dark :30 with 1 Run.
Light up the night!
All Racers must test light on course under darkness.

Classes:
* Expert
* Sport
* Beginner
* Hard-Ass = fully rigid (co-ed)

Prices:
* One Event - registration: $30.00
* Dual Entry Category - registration: $50.00

Event will be held Rain or Shine. After the conclusion of the night downhill there will be an After Party & Awards Ceremony for all.

Registration and check in at the Fontana Village Adventure Center 8:00AM to 11:30AM for XC. and 8:00AM to 5:00PM for downhill.

Lodging:
Fontana Village is the location for all 2010 Icycle Events. Fontana Village Resort has cabins, lodge, and camping available at discounted rates for Icycle Participants. Cabins have full kitchens with cooking utensils.
For lodging contact Fontana Village Resort:
1-800-849-2258 or online at www.fontanavillage.com

Food:

So, this is the restaurant / chilli set up:

Friday: Bistro restaurant at Fontana Lodge open breakfast (7:30am-11am), lunch (11:30am - 2:30pm), dinner 5:30pm - 8pm.

Saturday: Bistro open breakfast (7:30am - 11am); lunch off the menu & chilli special (11:30am - 2:30pm); chilli special only 2:30pm - 5:30pm ($8 includes cornbread);

dinner off menu & chilli (if any leftover) 5:30pm - 9pm.

Sunday: Breakfast, lunch, dinner same as Friday.

Event Website is jandwevents.com

video from a couple of years ago, nothing much has changed

Icycle Race on Vimeo

Chromejesus

Chimp
Jul 20, 2009
Cherokee NC
I don't think you would need spiked tires. Rode there wednesday and traction was good no snow left on the trails, just lotsa leaves. On the other hand there's still a week to go and the weather could very well change.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
On the other hand there's still a week to go and the weather could very well change.
That's the truth. A few years ago we went up on Friday for the race and I was driving with the sunroof and window open. Got there and rode in shorts and a jersey. Come that night, the temp dropped and it snowed all night, Saturday I was freezing my tail off, rolling in several inches of snow.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
latest extended forecast is calling for rain on friday but clear and cold on saturday, high of 38. so...the dh trail will probably be pretty muddy as it thaws on sat.

that said...i'll be there! i'm planning on driving up sat morning and leaving sat night...unless someone has floor space in a room they want to trade for use of a mitycross 350 headlight ;) :D http://cygolite.com/products/new/MityCross/mitycross350.html

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Holy forecast change. Now they're calling for "big snow" in Asheville on Friday night. Last time that meant 20" at my house.
Just hear on the radio 6-9" range in Asheville, more in the higher terrains. Starting Friday and going through Saturday. I guess we'll wait and see what the news says tonight, and then prolly change it 1/2 dozen times by Sat.

Wes D

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
The Icycle will be held as scheduled. Please do not put yourself in danger to get here but we look forward to having a snowy Icycle. Thanks. J&W Events

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Gas ~$50, Lodging $60, Entry fee $30...for under $150 you could hire Butch as your personal driver and male companion!
$30.00 for gas, $30.00 for entry fee and me on the couch of the cabin is only 60.00. That's only 20 per client and one hell of a deal to know you'll safely arrive at your destination sans tow truck. How much would a cigarette tainted cab ride 2 1/2 hours round trip cost? :D

And unlike in your car, the bikes are guaranteed to arrive at the destination with the riders. :rofl:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I think you're crazy to make that drive if you would like my professional opinion (cuz I AM professional dammit). Even with 40 being plowed, it will take FOREVER. Last big snow, I drove down to Marion when it first started and it was utterly ridiculous. Tons of wrecks everywhere. Even from Asheville, I would fully expect a 5 hour drive.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I think you're crazy to make that drive if you would like my professional opinion (cuz I AM professional dammit). Even with 40 being plowed, it will take FOREVER. Last big snow, I drove down to Marion when it first started and it was utterly ridiculous. Tons of wrecks everywhere. Even from Asheville, I would fully expect a 5 hour drive.
hmm...maybe i'll wait 'til morning and see what the damage is.

but if i do go my chances of getting on the podium increase drastically because the classes will be thinned out...heck, i may be the only sport competitor on the mountain! ;)

moreusa

Chimp
Nov 1, 2009
Fletcher NC
We are sponsoring the shuttle truck for the Icycle Night Time DH. Plan is to have the truck there by noon-time Saturday. Chris Herdon is already at Fontana and will be in touch with us early Saturday to see if, a. Our U-Haul Truck can make it to Fontana Village, and b. Is the the road to the top of the DH track accessible. I shoud lbe able to give you an update early tomorrow, but if I can't get the truck there you will have to rely on your own 4X4s for the shuttle.

We will do our best (or die trying) to get through to serve the Hot Wine Toddy at the bottom of the DH so come and visit the Morewood Tent.

We already have 8" of snow in Fletcher :mad:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
hmm...maybe i'll wait 'til morning and see what the damage is.

but if i do go my chances of getting on the podium increase drastically because the classes will be thinned out...heck, i may be the only sport competitor on the mountain! ;)
Ok...if that's the case I'm going too and it will be neck and neck. :D

Although...I haven't even stepped foot on a bike in 2 months +.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm going to side with Kenan. This is the main road to my house 10 minutes off I-40 in Asheville at 5:30pm. I'm thinking my rate is a bargain right about now gents.:thumb:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
we're getting the freezing rain mixed with a little snow right now. Jeremy, I'll assume that we're not going to make it, I'll still call ya in the morning.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
we're getting the freezing rain mixed with a little snow right now. Jeremy, I'll assume that we're not going to make it, I'll still call ya in the morning.
Yeah, we have 5 inches of snow already.
I just checked because my wife just made me go knock the snow off the satellite dish. If Rowan can't watch Mickey Mouse, well then the whole house will suffer.;)
Needless to say, I am not going anywhere. I just saw the footage of all the brain surgeons stuck on I-26 in Asheville. Maybe the storm snuck up on them.:D

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Hey everyone, While I don't know the conditions of roads anywhere else, I did just go out for a 15 min drive. The shuttle road has been scrapped and salted and I went up in 2wd until I had to turn around. We are working on getting a turnaround scrapped. Hwy 28 is clear with the exception of a lot of fog. Like I said it was only a 15 minute drive so I didn't make it that far. Temps are between 32 and 34 off of my truck thermometer. Please no one put yourself at risk to try to get here.

moreusa

Chimp
Nov 1, 2009
Fletcher NC
We had 10" last night in Fletcher and I have 2 trucks bogged-down on our driveway. Heads-up that the U-Haul shuttle will be late or won't make it.....sorry!

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
If Rowan can't watch Mickey Mouse, well then the whole house will suffer.;)
I know exactly what you are talking about brother!! It's amazing how a thing (or things) so small can rule the roost.

Steph want to know how much snow did you end up with? We've got nothing, just a nice coating of ice. I suppose I could just call you :lighten::imstupid: