Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
I was surprised at the difference between the stock spring and the next heavier. If you get a chance to try the heavier spring, do so before you buy.
I haven't had the chance to try the next heavier spring up from standard, but am considering moving up to one.. how much difference is there between the 2? I'm almost 200 lbs and running the stock spring with full compression and 80mm extra oil and the fork runs ok but i'd like to stiffen it up about 20-30%, mostly in the ramp up toward the end of the travel. Do you think going up to the next spring rate and backing the compression right off (which seems like the ideal situation) would work or is the spring heaps stiffer?

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Been reading through this thread, still trying to keep it all straight. I'm going to rebuild the fork to replace a stanchion that I jacked pretty good. Does someone have a good setup that they are using for a rider around 215lbs? Looks like maybe adding some oil to the spring side of the fork. I'm Interested in trying another spring, but not sure on which one to use and they seem to be a pain to find.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Well I would make finding the corredt spring rate my top priority before anything else. The stock spring will be too soft for your weight therefore try the next firmer steel spring or maybe look for info about the boxxer or springs for thr 40 that fit because they are available in a wider variety of springrates.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Does someone have a good setup that they are using for a rider around 215lbs? Looks like maybe adding some oil to the spring side of the fork. I'm Interested in trying another spring, but not sure on which one to use and they seem to be a pain to find.
its a bit farther back but i added oil instead of swapping springs.not the ideal setup but it works for me and for some other people.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I guess there's no way to know how a new spring will feel without trying one. Some guys are saying the 40 springs fit and are easier to find.

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
I guess there's no way to know how a new spring will feel without trying one. Some guys are saying the 40 springs fit and are easier to find.
Is that right? wow that'd be handy if it's true. anyone able to confirm this?

Zoojam

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
over in the East
Steel is Y8501563/R, Ti is Y8501481>A. Those are the part numbers for the spring + guide, there are different codes starting in 514 that are just a spring. You will need to change the spring guide if using a Ti spring or changing between steeel and Ti. Also you might not need the Y in front, it depends who you are going to talk to
I have a '12 888 evo.2 non-Ti that came with a medium-sized frame so i'm assuming it's got the medium spring in it. Only had a few runs on it so far, but pushing 200lbs and VA and preload cranked up, i feel its still a tad too soft so have decided to up a spring before i fiddle with extra oil or anything else.

I've got for free a spare firm 6.5 steel spring off a '12 888 Ti, and the packet number says Y8501563/R, like JohnnyC says, but just a bit confused why the marzo website lists the suffix as /P and not /R. Anyone know the difference, if there is any?

Thanks!

mulllz

Chimp
Sep 22, 2012
i got some 2012 888 zocchi cr when i bought my bike and the compression adjustment that is ontop doenst seem to be working so i popped the cap off and its turning nothing looks like the caps attached to some plasting that is on the stanchion has this happened to anyone?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Got a chance to chat with an acquaintance at interbike this week, he tunes suspension and races some of the bigger race series over in europe. We had some interesting points to go over...

At my weight (185) he think a stock spring in MOST forks is too soft, for even a moderately aggressive rider.
The stock cartridge is not that great in his opinion, but he was impressed by an avalanche cartridge he tried, looks like i am going to have to pull mine out of the old boxxer and set it up for the 888.
He also confirmed that those were more than just fox knobs on brooks fork...
Non 888 related, he mentioned that a lot of pros run the pre RC4 shaft and seal design on their fox rear shocks...i'll let your imagination do the rest of the work

I love this fork, its hard to imagine it being much better, but it sounds like the avalanche has much better mid stroke and transition between high and low speed compression circuits.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Non 888 related, he mentioned that a lot of pros run the pre RC4 shaft and seal design on their fox rear shocks...i'll let your imagination do the rest of the work
I'd say this is to suit the leverage curve of their progressive bikes and nothing more. That's if he means the thinner shaft.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hmmm..
While 2013 looks to be a rebuilding year for Marzocchi, there are whisperings of an entirely new downhill fork to be debuted within the next two seasons. No, it most certainly will not be a re-released Shiver, despite what we were told last year, but will actually be a right-side-up fork that utilizes a new damper system. Word is that it won't be replacing the 888, but rather slot above it in their fork hierarchy. Marzocchi isn't sharing any details beyond those facts, but we're eager to see the approach they take with the new fork.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Random-Products-Part-Six-Interbike-2012.html

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I haven't had the chance to try the next heavier spring up from standard, but am considering moving up to one.. how much difference is there between the 2? I'm almost 200 lbs and running the stock spring with full compression and 80mm extra oil and the fork runs ok but i'd like to stiffen it up about 20-30%, mostly in the ramp up toward the end of the travel. Do you think going up to the next spring rate and backing the compression right off (which seems like the ideal situation) would work or is the spring heaps stiffer?
I am also close to 200 lbs., and I found the "heavy" spring to be just too stiff throughout the travel. One of the things I love about this fork is the super buttery feel in the initial part of the stroke, and I lost that with the heavier spring. (My take is that it's too big of a jump. The reason some folks mention Fox springs is because apparently one of the Fox springs roughly splits the difference between the stock and "heavy" Zoke spring.) So, I went back to the stock spring and added oil in the spring leg until it felt good. I ended up with 225cc on the spring side.

Based on what you are saying, I would try adding additional oil before you pay for another spring. More oil should provide the additional ramp-up toward the end of travel you're looking for. I suggest dumping what's in the spring side now and starting with an empty leg. Then measure out 200cc and try it. If it's still not enough, add 10 or 20cc at a time until you get the feel you're looking for.

(Note that this is for the spring side only. I haven't changed the stock level on the damper side.)

Tyler Durden

Monkey
Oct 7, 2003
Paper Street
Im looking for a Firm Titanium 6.5N/mm spring for a 888 *38mm stanction.

* Willing to trade my Ti Medium 5.5N/mm

PM If interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Well for my country/europe even the supply with ti-springs and other spares was non-existent. I doubt that things will get better in the near future when they switch produktion to hodaka.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Been reading through this thread, still trying to keep it all straight. I'm going to rebuild the fork to replace a stanchion that I jacked pretty good. Does someone have a good setup that they are using for a rider around 215lbs? Looks like maybe adding some oil to the spring side of the fork. I'm Interested in trying another spring, but not sure on which one to use and they seem to be a pain to find.
I am exactly 215 pounds. I was running the stiffest spring, and doing 15 wt oil, compression in 4-5 clicks, and 10-20cc extra of oil (can't remember exactly).

The thicker oil really helps with diving and LSC. While i found for big hits I needed to slowly add oil to get it ramp up properly. I tried to crank up the compression adjuster as much as possible before it became really harsh, but sadly that's not very far.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well for my country/europe even the supply with ti-springs and other spares was non-existent. I doubt that things will get better in the near future when they switch produktion to hodaka.
that sounds like a problem with your country's distributor

I find it weird they didnt think of adding different spring options sooner.
i think the 2012's is when they started coming with extra steel springs. kinda sucks the prior years didnt. Fox and RS both supply extra steel springs with their forks

thinking of getting a Fox 40 Blue spring since Marz firm springs are teh tricky to find/trade. thoughts?

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Maybe they should think about producing and providing more different spring rates first than thinking about that works package...

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Maybe they should think about producing and providing more different spring rates first than thinking about that works package...
^^^^^This.
Also IH8Rice, I've heard the fox springs do fit but can bind, have you looked into this? Might wanna give it a look before taking the plunge..(no pun intended)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Also IH8Rice, I've heard the fox springs do fit but can bind, have you looked into this? Might wanna give it a look before taking the plunge..(no pun intended)
ive heard they rattle around a bit without the shrink wrap on (but dont really fit with it on) and i think they are a bit shorter too (some preload can help that.)
the Ti springs are going for around $90 from what ive seen but i still have to call Fox and get a price from them. if it doesnt work, ill just re-sell it

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Ok guys so here it is.. basically (here in oz atleast) it seems hard to come across Ti springs, so I'm a bit hesitant to trade/sell mine off before I know for certain it's the wrong spring for me. Currently running the 2010 stock Ti spring, I'm right around 200 lbs, running it at full preload. I had 40's before these and had a significant ramp up in the lower third of travel which I liked, and they were stiffer allround. My 888's are pretty plush early on, which is ok as I have the rebound up, but i can't get a significant ramp up in the lower part of the travel. I know sweet FA about fork internals, other than the basics. I have added oil as recommended by a guru over here which helped, but how far do you go before adding oil is no longer the solution? I've heard the next spring up (firm) is a giant leap, and some who were teetering on the edge found the firm spring way too harsh and took all the buttery goodness out of the fork. But surely if I'm running extra oil, full preload and still about an inch from bottoming them out in the carpark bouncing on them, I need a heavier spring? Any other ideas I might try before changing springs? Basically i need to exhaust all options before changing, but yeah running full preload kinda says it all in my books.. any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Am I the only person with a Ti 7.7 spring? Just get the proper spring rate. Then screw with the oil heights. They have the 6.5 in stock I'm 99% sure. Just try the 7.7 steel first, its pretty cheap. PM me if you want one.

only the 7.7 and 5.5 :(
I JUST ordered a 6.5 Ti for someone yesterday. They had at least one in stock.

Last edited:

crawler7000

Chimp
Jun 9, 2010
Does the level of damping go down when it's due for a service?
I've been riding my fork for 8-months without a service and have been bottoming it out brutally, I want to know if this is the case or if I should get the fork re-valved.

All dials except rebound are at the maximum btw.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a bit hesitant to trade/sell mine off before I know for certain it's the wrong spring for me. Currently running the 2010 stock Ti spring, I'm right around 200 lbs, running it at full preload. I had 40's before these and had a significant ramp up in the lower third of travel which I liked, and they were stiffer allround.
It's definitely the wrong spring for you, i.e. not even close to correct. There are actual rates floating about somewhere if you want to compare, but last time I checked, the stock 40 spring (blue) sits between the 888's firm/6.5 and xfirm/7.7 springs. At your weight I'd go straight for the 7.7 if you are riding/racing at any decent level.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Does the level of damping go down when it's due for a service?
I've been riding my fork for 8-months without a service and have been bottoming it out brutally, I want to know if this is the case or if I should get the fork re-valved.

All dials except rebound are at the maximum btw.
If the spring rate is correct you could just try thicker oil.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
The local Nz distro for zoochi are brilliant. When I got my 888 evo2 they swapped the spring straight out of the box and dropped in a 2stage valve.
made an amazing plush fork.
With the right spring rate these fork perform!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok guys so here it is.. basically (here in oz atleast) it seems hard to come across Ti springs, so I'm a bit hesitant to trade/sell mine off before I know for certain it's the wrong spring for me. Currently running the 2010 stock Ti spring, I'm right around 200 lbs, running it at full preload. I had 40's before these and had a significant ramp up in the lower third of travel which I liked, and they were stiffer allround. My 888's are pretty plush early on, which is ok as I have the rebound up, but i can't get a significant ramp up in the lower part of the travel. I know sweet FA about fork internals, other than the basics. I have added oil as recommended by a guru over here which helped, but how far do you go before adding oil is no longer the solution? I've heard the next spring up (firm) is a giant leap, and some who were teetering on the edge found the firm spring way too harsh and took all the buttery goodness out of the fork. But surely if I'm running extra oil, full preload and still about an inch from bottoming them out in the carpark bouncing on them, I need a heavier spring? Any other ideas I might try before changing springs? Basically i need to exhaust all options before changing, but yeah running full preload kinda says it all in my books.. any advice greatly appreciated!
How much oil have you added? The stock level in the spring side is 80cc. I'm 195 lbs or so and I ended up with 225cc. The result is exactly what you say you want: Kept the super plush feel in the initial stroke with a huge improvement in progression. Others have gone to 250cc.