Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Any of you guys find the stock Ti spring rubs badly inside the fork leg? (I searched in this thread but I didn't find a lot of info about this).

I tried shrink tubing and the spring fits in the tube, but it causes a lot of friction inside.

I also thought about using some sort of tacky/sticky grease on the spring.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Did the original shrink-wrap disintegrate or wasn't there any? I'm still searching for a replacement for mine as it falls apart but normal shrinkwrap is to thick.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah the original plastic shrink wrap pretty much crumbled.

I tried 1.5" shrink tubing but it was too thick. Maybe I'll try it again but heat the crap out of it.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Yeah I just got my fork back from the distributor because they changed a stanction (nickel coating cam off) and they also fitted a new shrink wrap.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
decided to attempt a oil change on my 08 888 RC3 the other day , not as bad of a deal as i expected , had it done in a couple of lazy hrs , drained all the oil cleaned everything all up and repacked the sliders with grease between the seal and the wiper seal and filled both legs with 310ml of oil and buttoned it all up again . man what a difference , it,s a new fork in feel just have to get it all dialed in again .

any one know what the factory setting are ?? i know there is 24 clicks i,m right in the middle on the top dial , have no idea what the others are set at .

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'll call marzocchi and see if they sell their plastic shrink tubing separately. Either they or I try to sand down the rough surface of the Ti spring.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
WE Customize Bikes is a new started company in Europe that is experimenting with prototype coated stanchions for all fork brands,at the Dirt Masters Festival in Winterberg they had one of their prototype colored stanchion tubes on display on a Marzocchi 888 RC3 EVO V.2

They will be offering the stanchions in a range of colors Red,Blue,Gold,Orange,Black & Titan,they are also experimenting with Green & Purlpe which they should add to the other colors.By the end of the year it should be available for the public.

Pricing will be 170 euro(when they using the current stanchions of the fork),also new colored stanchions will be available for all fork brands.

PaulL

Chimp
May 28, 2013
Hi guys i need help with my 2011 888 evo's, i bought them 2nd hand and need to know what the adjustments do ie. if i turn to + what will it do/what effect will it have on the way the fork reacts.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

PaulL

Chimp
May 28, 2013
mykel.. Thanks for that, what does Ramp up mean, and how does that effect the fork, sorry not up with the lingo lol. Also i assume if you turn dials towards the + you would get more rebound, compression etc

Thanks for that

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ramp up is the increase in damping as you move through the forks travel.
"ramping up" is the increase in spring rate, not damping force as you progress deeper into the fork's travel. The volume adjustment changes the volume available for the air to compress inside the fork, so PV=kT, V goes down so Pressure goes up, higher pressure=higher spring rate, not higher damping.

Last edited:

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
"ramping up" is the increase in spring rate, not damping force as you progress deeper into the fork's travel. The volume adjustment changes the volume available for the air to compress inside the fork, so PV=kT, V goes down so Pressure goes up, higher pressure=higher spring rate, not higher damping.
My bad, that makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

PaulL

Chimp
May 28, 2013
Thanks guys that site has been a huge help so have your comments, ill see how they ride this weekend, so far so good, will go even better this weknd I hope

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It hasn't changed, I don't think Marzocchi ever suggested otherwise?
I'm certain that I read in a press release that they changed the compression damping (shimstack) for 2013 with the input of the MS Mondraker team. But they said that for the past three years and the fork is essentially the same till 2010. Only the rebound piston got changed slightly but it's not shimmed.

Aside from the change in manufacturers, the 888 RC3 EVO V2 (left) gets a minor upgrade internally for 2013. Based on rider feedback from their World Cup racers, they adjusted the shim stack to help keep the fork higher in its travel over high speed chatter. Be on the lookout for a completely new downhill fork and rear shock from Marzocchi in the future...
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/New-Mountain-Bike-Components-at-Eurobike-2012,4252/2013-Marzocchi-888-Forks,41677/bturman,109

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Couple things revisited that I need clarification on:

1) From what I read, the Fox 40 Ti springs will fit in the Marz 888 Evo, although their spring rates are fairly different. I have the stock medium 5.5nm Ti spring but would like to go heavier and I've been finding the Fox 40 springs online a little easier. The stock Fox 40 blue Ti spring appears to be 7.1nm while their lighter purple spring is 6.1nm. I guess Fox can go with heavier spring rates because their forks have heavier valving?? Either way, based on the numbers only, it looks like the purple or the blue spring would be the best for my 210lbs carcass before pads and helmet. Am I right, or am I completely out to lunch and should just focus on find a Marz firm spring?

2) I read somewhere in this thread that they don't replace bushings anymore; they just replace the lowers. Well I find that with my spring side open, when I compress the fork I feel some friction during the last 1.5" to 1" of travel. Not sure it's something I need to worry about. There's no play in the fork at all.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
Pacific Northwet
1) I have heard different things regarding the springs, but in my experience the blue titanium 40 spring fits in my 2012 evo ti perfectly with the shrinkwrap removed. I just greased the spring up pretty good and there is no noise/rubbing. I have been using it for about a year. I was not happy with the marzo options of 6.5nm or 7.7. I am about 190 lbs without gear and with stock oil levels the fox spring is perfect. All that being said the ID of the TI's stanchions are larger than the standard EVO, so unless you have the TI I am not sure if a foxspring will fit.

2)Correct no bushing replacement. Not sure why you are feeling any friction. I would tear it down clean and rebuild to see if it helps.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yup, I've got the Evo Ti with nickel tubes that are tapered. Well given you're 190 and on a blue spring, I might be able to get away with a green fox Ti spring. But I'll keep an eye out for a blue one.

I double checked and both legs have friction at the last inch of travel. It's not a big deal I suppose. I more or less bottomed out yesterday and the friction wasn't noticeable.

edit: I found a blue Fox 40 Ti spring locally today. Holy much stiffer than medium Marz Ti spring...almost too much so! Based on newtons/mm to lbs/inch converters, the purple Fox 40 spring looks like it would be in between the Marz medium and firm Ti springs.

Last edited:

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
2011 888 ti evo rc3 with stock ti spring, 180lb (81kg) and downhill riding with no harsh things that bottom out harshly the fork.

what settings do you run, for a similar setup?

i have 4 full turns of preload, 4 clicks (from soft) low comp and zero VA. (rebound is ok, don't remember the clicks)

sag in attack position is about 25%, quite sorted i guess.

i want to try a profile that is a bit firmer.

ps. so plush fork, really amazing.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Looks like the stanctions are the same so it could fit. That would mean that one could basically turn a 888 into the 320 minus the lighter crowns but essentially it would be the same fork for around half the price.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Do you have that clear shrink wrap on you're spring?

If not, that should help.

If so, rotate the spring in the leg and see what happens.

(On top of having some oil in that leg, I also slathered some Slick Honey/Slickoleum on the plastic on the spring to keep her smooth - won't eat rubber or plastic parts).

Last edited:

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
Do you have that clear shrink wrap on you're spring?

If not, that should help.

If so, rotate the spring in the leg and see what happens.

(On top of having some oil in that leg, I also slathered some Slick Honey/Slickoleum on the plastic on the spring to keep her smooth - won't eat rubber or plastic parts).
no warp on the spring and i have tried rotating the spring it just started doing it , i changed the oil a while back and had put too much in when i refilled so i drained it and refilled to the correct amount and ever since it,s been rattling around . i,ll take a look at it again and see whats up and try wrapping the spring in shrink wrap , i,m parking it soon anyways building up a smaller bike and saving for the new 380:)

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you have a Ti spring, normal electrical shrink wrap is too thick. You need the stuff Marzocchi uses, or find battery pack shrink wrap and cover pretty much the entire spring. It's much thinner than the electrical stuff.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trying to tear down my 2011 and I can't get the top caps off. Admittedly I'm trying to use a crescent wrench as I don't have a 26mm socket...but the stantion spinning in the lowers is what's stopping me.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Trying to tear down my 2011 and I can't get the top caps off. Admittedly I'm trying to use a crescent wrench as I don't have a 26mm socket...but the stantion spinning in the lowers is what's stopping me.
I'm guessing that means you have the fork out of the crowns and don't have a nice 38-40mm tube clamp. So put the fork back in the crowns, tighten them down, and unscrew those top caps. If you're also gonna be taking the foot nuts off do that first as it sometimes requires pushing down on the fork to get enough grip between the rods and lowers (if you don't have an impact wrench).