Quantcast

2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo tuning thread

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Are those raw or a chrome paint? Looks hectic. What colour is the bike they are going on?
They are stripped and brushed and now clear coated (did a decent job up until the most recent touch up, where the BLOB attacked - now to see if I should wet sand or just deal.)

SNEAK PREVIEW (Still needs pinch bolts/'nuts' installed and adjuster caps (& wheels) )

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I just got an x-firm for mine and I was looking at the shring wrapping wondering if I should leave it on....then I ripped it off, should I have left that on there and what do you guys use instead? There doesn't seem to be enough room for electrical shrink wrap to fit?

Gunny

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
NL, Europe
I recently purchased a 888CR and a firm spring to go with it.
The extra spring didn't come wrapped so I wrapped it with transparant shrinkwrap used for battery packs.
It fit's just fine.
I might be mistaken, but I believe the main reason for the wrapping is to elminate any rattling from the spring.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Hrmmm. Relating to rattling springs: I've just finished putting my fork back together after stripping it down for the first time (it has been done before by a shop) and the spring seems to rub on the stantion each time the fork is compressed.

I had a 6.6n/mm spring put in about a year ago and it has never had shrink wrap on it and it has never had this problem before. I have checked to see if the spring is seated correctly and it is so I have nfi why this issue has arisen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ha, Ava cart going in this weekend, it'll be a while before I get to ride it.

Maybe it will help me avoid future shoulder surgery....

~!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hrmmm. Relating to rattling springs: I've just finished putting my fork back together after stripping it down for the first time (it has been done before by a shop) and the spring seems to rub on the stantion each time the fork is compressed.

I had a 6.6n/mm spring put in about a year ago and it has never had shrink wrap on it and it has never had this problem before. I have checked to see if the spring is seated correctly and it is so I have nfi why this issue has arisen.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mine did this early on but then I 'reseated' it, and it behaved mostly bar the occasional scrootch; then the vol adjust would clack if I used it at all and I briefly mistook it for spring noise (good thing I dont use it).

I'm switching to a Firm from X Firm due to dropping a ton of weight, I hope the new spring comes with wrap (the stock one did).

Last edited:

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, that seems to have been all fixed up. Now on to the next problem; the fork now sounds like the compression damper is topping out every time I compress it and it rebounds. Any ideas?

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
189 lb with all apparel.

i ride light downhill.

the ti spring is the standard one.

what settings do you advice? (preload mainly)

ps. i don't want to change the ti spring if needed, cause it is expensive... :rant: thank you!:thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Now on to the next problem; the fork now sounds like the compression damper is topping out every time I compress it and it rebounds. Any ideas?
you can try adding some negative pressure to the fork leg by compressing it slightly then tightening the top cap of the damper side.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
you can try adding some negative pressure to the fork leg by compressing it slightly then tightening the top cap of the damper side.
I think I have already done this unintentionally, the compression damper seems to want to suck down on itself and I'm assuming that I have pulled the station tube up over the damper while it wasn't fully extended. Would this also create negative pressure?

freeriding said:
I think I have already done this unintentionally, the compression damper seems to want to suck down on itself and I'm assuming that I have pulled the station tube up over the damper while it wasn't fully extended. Would this also create negative pressure?
This will piss you off but anyway; go up to a firm spring. Using preload and compression to account for a spring that is way too light for you will only make the fork feel like ****.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^Yup*, if you are outside the average weight range (150-175lbs naked) and buy coil suspension just figure the cost of a new spring into it. There's no way around it besides buying air suspension, which sometimes can't support 200lb+ riders. Using too firm or soft a spring won't let the suspension and bike geometry work.

*Here's what you want to hear and what to do until that firm spring arrives:
Preload: A counter-clockwise turn out from full preload
Volume Adjust: 1/2 way in (clockwise)
Compression: 1/2 way in
Rebound: To taste, slow enough that it doesn't just shoot back but quicker than the rear.

Last edited:

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
this is really interesting? what do you think?

so i guess the hi/lo compression damping is adjusted like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

so if someone wants little dive in berms, braking, pedalling etc, the knob should be fully at +...

nothing that was said here before!!

The compression adjuster on the 888 is located at the base of the LH leg. The RC3 compression adjuster will affect both high and low speed damping, simply put if you set the adjuster all the way to “+” it will give you maximum low speed damping, set the adjuster all the way to “-“ will give you maximum high speed damping.

Both high and low speed damping curves cross in the middle so the adjusters neutral position is in the middle (count the clicks/ turns). Adjusting out from the middle with give you a varying combination of both high and low speed damping, so in theory you have all the combinations of damping you would normally have in two separate adjusters, but in one easy-to-use adjuster.
http://themarzocchiworkshop.posterous.com/set-up-understanding-the-marzocchi-888

Last edited:

Alex233

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Munich
Cheers
Thank you guys, this is by far the best Marzocchi thread out there. The others, German ones in particular, are about as helpful and knowledgeable as the German Importer.

I'm 205lbs/93kg with kit running a 888 2012 Evo Ti V2 in black with a green Fox Spring, the foam rings have already been replaced with super slick. 10 clicks rebound, 8 clicks compression (before taking out the VA o ring I was at 1 click progression) My sled is a 2011 Makulu, 63.5° HA.

After having problems with oil getting by the o ring into the VA chamber (like some others as I have read) causing some weird kind of sticky overly progressive feel I have now taken out the o ring and added 100 cc 7.5 oil. The fork feels so much better now (Parking lot test only), I just hope I wont have problems with bottoming out now.

Here is my question: Should I remove the whole VA unit or leave it the way it is for now.

BTW. Looks like Marzocchi didn't fix the problem with the VA unit for 2012

Alex233

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Munich
Cut off the shrink tube in the middle and they fit exactly like the MZ spring. Since they are coated they don't rattle either. The Fox Ti spring is 80 gr heavier than the stock Ti spring though :p. The Green seems to be in between the firm and X-firm, the blue between medium and firm....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't see how backing off the compression adjustment dial could increase HSC. Can someone explain how this works? I assumed it both operated a spring on the shim stack and a needle in a port, thereby controling HSC and LSC with one dial and clockwise would increase damping on both circuits.
Not doubting that graph and previous post but how bout some clarification?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Cut off the shrink tube in the middle and they fit exactly like the MZ spring. Since they are coated they don't rattle either. The Fox Ti spring is 80 gr heavier than the stock Ti spring though :p. The Green seems to be in between the firm and X-firm, the blue between medium and firm....
good to know, thanks.
does the shrink wrap somehow interfere?
their blue spring sounds about what i am looking for.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
this is really interesting? what do you think?

so i guess the hi/lo compression damping is adjusted like this:

View attachment 111251

so if someone wants little dive in berms, braking, pedalling etc, the knob should be fully at +...

nothing that was said here before!!

http://themarzocchiworkshop.posterous.com/set-up-understanding-the-marzocchi-888
That's pretty whack, if true, and would require a pretty complex adjustment mechanism. I suspect the guy explaining it has simply got it wrong however!

Last edited:

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Assuming you can fit fox 40 springs in the 888 here's a resume of a little research I made trying to figure out what spring I need. Maybe it can help others.

MARZOCCHI
Soft: 4.4 N/mm
Medium (stock): 5.5 N/mm
Firm: 6.5 N/mm
X-firm: 7.7 N/mm

FOX
Black: 5.3 N/mm
Purple: 6.1 N/mm
Blue (stock): 7 N/mm
Green: 7.9 N/mm
Yellow: 8.8 N/mm
Orange: 9.6 N/mm
Red: 11 N/mm

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
I just tried a blue steel fox spring in my 2012 888...
there was no way it could get in with the shrink wrap so I installed to spring alone, after installation I decided not to ride the fork like this, the spring was scrapping HARD inside the stanchion.
Maybe the spring you used was the Ti one?

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Spring comparison is interesting, surely all those numbers need to be moved up a little - I'm of fairly average weight and would be pretty close to an X-firm!

The Fox 40 springs for 2012 are about 1mm smaller in diameter than previous years (to reduce rub), I measured a Blue Ti of new and old. I imagine it would still be a tight fit in a 38mm fork though.

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Spring comparison is interesting, surely all those numbers need to be moved up a little - I'm of fairly average weight and would be pretty close to an X-firm!

The Fox 40 springs for 2012 are about 1mm smaller in diameter than previous years (to reduce rub), I measured a Blue Ti of new and old. I imagine it would still be a tight fit in a 38mm fork though.
The numbers I posted are the ones published by the manufacturers, I think it's kind of weird too.

The spring I tried might be a 2011, thanks for the hint, I'll try to find a 2012.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Any reason you don't just buy a firm or x-firm MZ spring? I'm assuming it's because you fall between their rates - but chances are if a normal Fox blue spring is scraping hard like you say, taking 1mm off the diameter (only 0.5 in radius) is probably not going to fix it...

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I have a new 888 Evo Ti and on the spring leg I experience slight bushing play. Is this normal in the sense of sliced bushings not filled with oil or should I contact my dealer? (I don't want to send in the fork at this time of the year)

To check just put your frontwheel between your legs and pull at the other side of the bar while checking with a finger between the stanchtions and casting.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
That's my plan. I hope marz then still exists and has good castings considering they shut down production at suntour.

Made a video:

Last edited:

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Any reason you don't just buy a firm or x-firm MZ spring? I'm assuming it's because you fall between their rates - but chances are if a normal Fox blue spring is scraping hard like you say, taking 1mm off the diameter (only 0.5 in radius) is probably not going to fix it...
Springs are not availlable for an undetermined amount of time in Canada.
As much as I like the fork, I don't know how it is possible to justify this for the distributor since the medium spring can't fit every customer.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I dont know the details about Marzocchi's current woes, but I have been in regular touch with inside sales, and ordered a top crown and heavy spring that just came in stock.

t'would be a sad day in Banzaiville...

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Any play in the lowers should be a warranty claim. Mine had a slight bushing play in the left leg and even though I wasn't the original owner the 'zocchi rep fixed me up with new lowers with new bushings, seals and some slickery oil. I don't care if any other forks are better (haven't tried any better forks yet though), but having that kind of customer service is enough to keep me on Marzocchi a couple of more years.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
The problem ist that the distributor over here in germany sucks big time and after waiting 7 months for my bike I'm not too keen on sending in the fork now.

I'll keep an eye on it and get it done in the off-season. The only problem I see with this strategy is marzocchis situation and the fact that they are currently relocating their production from suntour to somewhere else and the last time they did that quality sucked. So it would probably better to get your hands on a pair of lowers now.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I know and a few people told me that it's caused by the sliced bushings which is normal and with more oil it would dissapear (don't have it on the damping-side) so when this works I'm no longer worried but it's a bit irritating on a new fork.

Alex233

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Munich
I just tried a blue steel fox spring in my 2012 888...
there was no way it could get in with the shrink wrap so I installed to spring alone, after installation I decided not to ride the fork like this, the spring was scrapping HARD inside the stanchion.
Maybe the spring you used was the Ti one?
Hmm no. It's a green steel coming off a 2010 40. I have no scraping/rubbing at all. I wouldn't ride mine like that either.

The reason I tried the Fox is that the German distributor is useless. Of course I would like to run a firm or X firm Zocchi. I'll get one with the works tuning when I'm in Whistler in september.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I know and a few people told me that it's caused by the sliced bushings which is normal and with more oil it would dissapear (don't have it on the damping-side) so when this works I'm no longer worried but it's a bit irritating on a new fork.
All Marzocchi's will have a small amount of play there, it means there is always oil in between the stanchions and bushings. It won't be noticeable on the trail but it will be in a years time when the fork is still running smooth and you haven't worn out the stanchions (like some other brands :) ). My 55 was like that 18 months ago when I started riding it and it was still mint when it got sold last week

Oh yeah I have made yellow fox springs fit a Ti 888 before, just removed the preload spacer from the top. Then either grease the crap out of it or use some super thin heat shrink like the factory Marz stuff