Quantcast

2010 Nema Contingency Program

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
As the 2010 season approaches (except in SoCal where they are 2 races in) we have released the 2010 NEMA Contingency program.
We've added some new series so hopefully this has a larger reach and we are able to help more riders.
I want to thank everyone for their feedback on the 2009 program and we will continue to try and make it better. I also hope that more companies will follow.

If we missed anything or if you have any questions send them to info@nemabrand.com

thnks

You can view the full size version here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nema-International/75687968967?ref=ts

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Let me get this straight...
1) You need a minimum of five racers in your category to qualify
2) You need to place an unknown number and of unknown size bunch of Nema stickers on you bike/person
3) List Nema as a sponsor
4) Must wear 2 of three: Pants, Jersey, or Gloves

The greatest payout you can get (as a Pro too) is $30.

With no actual sponsorship and reduced price on gear, you are effectively paying a crap load for gear at the hopes of getting paid out...

Does Dylan have an statistician of insurance actuary working for him? Because the realistic odds on his are minimal, at best. I'd bet that Nema set aside $500 on this, maybe.

*Edit: Negative rep for pointing out truth/fact... wtf people. Knowing why somebody is willing to give you free money is not missing the point; it's called being aware of the situation and all variables. People bitch that Specialized is a marketing machine, what do you think this program is?

Last edited:

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
2) You need to place an unknown number and of unknown size bunch of Nema stickers on you bike/person

With no actual sponsorship and reduced price on gear, you are effectively paying a crap load for gear at the hopes of getting paid out...

Does Dylan have an statistician of insurance actuary working for him? Because the realistic odds on his are minimal, at best. I'd bet that Nema set aside $500 on this, maybe.
Hmm..
If you have been around racing you would know that "our" rules are very common. Have you seen the long lines at the start of any SCORE off-road race that is tech/contingency.. We are working off the honor system.
Either way i will address your hating/concerns.

1. If we are paying to top 3, I think beating 2 other riders is reasonable to claim contingency.
2. Unknown number of stickers, no, one 1x2 inch on your bike and helmet. No different than SX, Nascar, etc..
3. List Nema as a sponsor, i don't think that is unfair considering most if not all are sponsored by someone, which is why promoters have the "sponsors" space on the entry.
4. We are simply rewarding riders that chose to show support. We are trying to give a little something back for the riders that wear our products. The 2 of three requirement is because we know some riders have team jerseys or prefer a different glove, or short. We had to have some parameter to the program.

"having to pay a crap load" This program is in addition to the sponsorship we offer riders around the country. There are pro level riders that didn't buy their gear that were paid last season. The payout is $30 per race, and $150 for a US OPEN win! We paid our ALOT more than $500. There was one rider that earned about $250 on the GES series..

How many riders are racing on bikes, and equipment they paid for and getting nothing in return for the companies they support?

T-Boner

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Durango

I'm not really sure why you would complain about this offer... But I would have to say that it is a good marketing technique.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had this awesome bit about the math behind this, but I'll let it lie. A percentage of revenues from this program being returned would be a nifty number to know...

But good on you guys for doing something for a sport that really gets nothing... Thought that payout/net ratio would be nifty to know how well / cost effective your marketing program is.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm not really sure why you would complain about this offer... But I would have to say that it is a good marketing technique.
Ya, exactly. You buy some nema gear or whatever, and then you get some free money if you do well. Ya geez, I hate free money.

I have full nema kit sitting around. Hmmm, maybe this'll prompt me to race this season.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Jeremy: show us your SX tix stub and you will get the $60.

Joker: There might be some math behind this, but bottom line is we're just trying to help riders out for doing something they would be doing anyways. I also think the guy with the $75 in Nema gear cashing $50 checks all season might disagree with you.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So you buy your own clothing and you get to say you are sponsored at races? Sweet.

Sounds like some of the members on here...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Jeremy: show us your SX tix stub and you will get the $60.

Joker: There might be some math behind this, but bottom line is we're just trying to help riders out for doing something they would be doing anyways. I also think the guy with the $75 in Nema gear cashing $50 checks all season might disagree with you.
How many of those guys are there though...

While the odds are probably better with Nema, there is a reason people buy lotto tickets, and why the sellers always make money. One winner to 2 million losers.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Joker, I understand what you are saying and I agree to a point. Personally I'm not going to go out and buy a Nema kit so I can participate in this program, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

But this program is great for someone who already owns or plans to buy Nema gear. Then if the sign up ahead of time and do well theres a couple bucks in their pockets.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Damn you NEMA, trying to make money with creative marketing and at the same time giving cash back to those that do well.

Imagine getting 3rd place and only beating 2 other guys and taking home a little pocket change. I would think 10 people in your class would be reasonable but if you have 5 in your class and still have this opportunity!

Nema is a little pricey, so with a sponsorship discount I am sure it still not the best deal out there. To me it is about a company that is supporting the sport.

Great job and great program.

(I do not wear anything Nema)

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The program worked very well for our series and racers in 2009. There was a lot of positive feedback. Plattekill Mountain would be happy to be part of the program in 2010.

Good work Erick and thank you nema.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
it's a good program, but $150 for winning the us open and paying pro only for that race is a lost cause. Who's gonna win the pro at USO, when you are competing against world cup riders?

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
it's a good program, but $150 for winning the us open and paying pro only for that race is a lost cause. Who's gonna win the pro at USO, when you are competing against world cup riders?
Actually Miranda Miller (MMR Racing) wearing Nema won pro women's last year..

It's just a simple contingency program offered in almost every type of racing EXCEPT MTB..
If people would support the idea, can you imagine how this could actually benefit the riders on every level? Riders would have a chance to collect from 4-5 different programs (frame, suspension, apparel, wheels, drive train, etc) each weekend.

Sep 15, 2009
cesspool
What about this scenario as an example. Platty will host a GES race and Platty series race on the same weekend. If you come in top 3 can you get a contingency payout for each race?

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Its a good program by a company that makes a great product.While contingency programs are available in virtually all motorsports for some reason
they have never been available in MTB racing.Its a good thing for the company and the consumer and not sure why anyone would be down on it.
Would be great if some other companies were involved. Nice job Erick and thanks for your support of the GES for the past few years!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
What about this scenario as an example. Platty will host a GES race and Platty series race on the same weekend. If you come in top 3 can you get a contingency payout for each race?
I think thats stretching it a bit... That would still be 'one' race, not two races. But I'll let ekozy have the final word on that.

But what I did notice is that you can probably compete in both DH and DS in the same weekend and get payout for each event. That would be nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's the same race. You get a single run (barring any issues), and have a single time posted. Your single resulting place/ranking just counts towards both series.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
it's the same race. You get a single run (barring any issues), and have a single time posted. Your single resulting place/ranking just counts towards both series.
you're right, it would only count toward 1 event/payout.

I'm glad that you guys feel good about the program. We're a rider-owned cycling brand and "rider-owned" is more than just rhetoric..
There are plenty of moto brands making a killing and spending our MTB dollars funding SX teams.
Riders are all welcomed to participate or not, but more than that I hope that it can be the start of something bigger and better for the sport as a whole.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Nema is a cool company to work with, they're doing our team jerseys this year. We'd be working with them regardless of this program. Our riders see it as a cool benefit. Have a great race, get beer money!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I think this is a killer idea. We need more programs like this in the sport.
Michelin does something similar through their grass roots programs. Deal on tires, and then some $$ for placement while using said tires.

Some programs are limited to racing type results, some just care about exposure and have pay scales for local vs national vs international exposure, column inch of pictures, 1/4 page, 1/2 page, back cover, front cover....does not even have to be exposure within the same business.

Back when I worked in the snowboard business, this was huge to smaller guys that were trying to get noticed and to be able to afford to ride as much as needed to really progress. Grab your buddy who is trying to make a name shoots, and buy him a ticket, lunch, and a ride to the hill. Submit photos to any and all media outlets, your 'sponsors' for use in adds or marketing.
Just being the tinyest bit smart about it, you could make sure that the angles captured boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, clothing mfg...plus a patch from a wax company, etc.
A good friend essentially lived off this for 3 years or so and helped others as well...The photographer made a great name/business for himself, and my friend decided to move on to a 'real' job as he got too old to huck with the kidz...

Last edited:

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I podiumed at a few Cat 1 Fluidride races last year and at Nationals and I was stoked that Nema was willing to recognize that and support it. Very grateful for that and for the continued support in 2010.

But besides that, the clothing is just damn good product. Not a single quality issue with any of our team rider's gear, and it's sharp looking! Keep up the good work Erick!

Just one question for ya; why no contingency for Nationals results this year?