Quantcast

2010 Pan Am Champs - Guatemala Course

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
mixed reviews so far:

Ulmer: "the track is nothing like i have ever seen. its ridiculous"

Van Dine: "the tracks are siiick!! first min of the dh is physical w a flat section and then it's 3 min of tech. tricky rock gardens and steep dusty shoots. super fun."

website with live video coverage: http://www.guatepanamericanomtb2010.com/

Ulmer should be supplying a helmet cam of the course shortly.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
mixed reviews so far:

Ulmer: "the track is nothing like i have ever seen. its ridiculous"

Van Dine: "the tracks are siiick!! first min of the dh is physical w a flat section and then it's 3 min of tech. tricky rock gardens and steep dusty shoots. super fun."

website with live video coverage: http://www.guatepanamericanomtb2010.com/

Ulmer should be supplying a helmet cam of the course shortly.
http://bikemx.net/bikeblog/?p=2409
Markolf Berchtold has a helmet cam up... hope it's more fun than it looks

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
wow, i hope they all brought FR/AM bikes.

pics make it look steeper... i am always skeptical of helmet cam stuff. when mounted that high up/looking down it makes everything look flat.

once ridden in everything will blow up and be a dust bowl down there so it will be a challenge

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Helmet cams flatten everything. Look over to the left at the 40 second mark in Markolf's helmet cam vid, the side of that hill looks way steep and that appears to be where the track goes.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
despite the trickery of video and pics, i still think the "pan" part of the event is referring to what the course resembles. ruts and dust will just make it "bumpy". i think if you can manual that whole upper road, you automatically win the race.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Unofficial final results...

1 Markolf Berchtold Brazil 3.34.48
2 Marcelo Gutierrez Colombia 3.34.75
3 Joey Schusier USA 3.39.57
4 Mauricio Estrada Colombia 3.39.58
5 Mario Jarrin Ecuador 3.39.69
6 Chris Van Dine USA 3.42.64
7 Ricardo Preciado Mexico 3.45.00
8 Antonio Leiva Chile 3.45.64
9 Maicon Zottis Brazil 3.46.70
10 Mauricio Acuna Chile 3.47.06
11 Walace Miranda Brazil 3.51.50
12 Santiago de Santi Argentina 3.51.89
13 Rob Fraser Canada 3.52.00
14 Anderson Bastidas Ecuador 3.52.00
15 Lucas Bertol Brazil 3.52.25
16 Jeremias Maio Argentina 3.52.96
17 Alvaro Hidalgo Costa Rica 3.53.60
18 Javier Lopez Ruiz MEX 3.54.00
19 Ethan Quehl USA 3.56.00
20 Volkmar Berchtold Brazil 3.57.00
21 Luciano Worl USA 4.02.89
22 Juan Gabriel Ecuador 4.04.00
23 Brian Buell USA 4.04.29
24 Greame Pitts USA 4.05.31
25 Kenneth Zamora Guatemala 4.06.29
26 Sebastian Chavez CR 4.06.78
27 Jose Adrian Garcia 4.08.16
28 Enrique Genova Chile 4.08.66
29 Guillermo de Usla 4.09.00
30 Gonzalo Irusta Argentina 4.11.53
31 Roberto Castillo Costa Rica 4.11.89
32 Geoffrey Ulmer 4.19.00
33 Carlos Teran Venezuela 4.20.00
34 Mario Cornejo Ecuador 4.22.07
35 Marvin Honduras 4.24.00
36 Franklin Iza Ecuador 4.24.08
37 John Paul Honduras 4.26.00
38 Jeank 4.27.00
39 Cesar Sanchez MEX 4.29.14
40 Victor Fiqueroa Puerto Rica 4.31.00
41 Roberto Alexi Salvador 4.32.00
42 Gerardo Sola SALV 4.39.00
43 Alejandro Mexico 4.39.00
44 Luis Pino Venezuela 4.40.00
45 Giovanni Oro Brazil 4.52.00
46 Cristian Reyes 4.53.14
47 Guillermo Orantes Guatemala 4.54.00
48 Erik Gosselin 5.01.62
49 Luis Samayoa Salvador 5.09.00
50 Javier Estrada Guatemala 7.50.03

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Goodjob Looch!
He was telling me he had to get at least 26th place to get the UCI points he needed; so definitely good for him.

Also how come there are no guys from Mexico, Central and South America and the World Cups? Maybe there are some, but I don't ever seem to here about them and I know there have to be a bunch of fast guys from those places.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Moto, where did you find this picture? would like to get others if possible? Thanks
He linked it to me earlier today while chatting on facebook. Said he had a blast, even though he crashed twice in qualies and once in the final. He also mentioned that Schusler came in so hot at the finish line that he took out a tent! :)

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Also how come there are no guys from Mexico, Central and South America and the World Cups? Maybe there are some, but I don't ever seem to here about them and I know there have to be a bunch of fast guys from those places.
The reason for that is that economic resources are much more limited in third world countries. There are many great athletes and fast guys in South and Central America, but because of the expensive nature of the sport a lot of them barely have enough money for their equipment, let alone to travel across the world with their bikes.

Many of you may ask where do I get this info from? I can say I have experienced first hand. I was born in Ecuador, and started riding Downhill there in my teens. I now live in the US and have been able to ride and experience places, that I would have never even thought if I was still living in Ecuador.

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
There reason for that is that economic resources are much more limited in third world countries. There are many great athletes and fast guys in South and Central America, but because of the expensive nature of the sport a lot of them barely have enough money for their equipment, let alone to travel across the world with their bikes.

Many of you may ask where do I get this info from? I can say I have experienced first hand. I was born in Ecuador, and started riding Downhill there in my teens. I now live in the US and have been able to ride and experience places, that I would have never even though if I was still living in Ecuador.
I don't think that is the case with Mexico, at least with Mexico City's DH riders (Ricardo Preciado, Guillermo de Uslar, Julio Tamez, Javier Lopez etc) . 50% of the DH riders I see every weekend have high end bikes like M6, M3, V10, Sundays, Demos etc.

For Mexico's case the reason you don't see them in WC is because our cycling federation is cr.ap and full of retards who just want money and don't care about the sport. Also many of the best DHers here have a nice job/are studying in college so they don't want to leave for so long.

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
I don't think that is the case with Mexico, at least with Mexico City's DH riders (Ricardo Preciado, Guillermo de Uslar, Julio Tamez, Javier Lopez etc) . 50% of the DH riders I see every weekend have high end bikes like M6, M3, V10, Sundays, Demos etc.

For Mexico's case the reason you don't see them in WC is because our cycling federation is cr.ap and full of retards who just want money and don't care about the sport. Also many of the best DHers here have a nice job/are studying in college so they don't want to leave for so long.
There is exceptions for every case. The economic situation of every country is different. There is also like you mentioned, bad governing bodies that do not promote the growth of the sport. But at the end of the day I think it still boils down to the economic aspect. I think that in order for a World cup racer to be able to be successful in the circuit, he or she needs to be competing at that level for a while before they are able to be at the top. And to be able to get that experience, if you are not sponsored, it could be very expensive to do it on your own.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Markolf Berchtold from Brazil is the 2010 Pan Am Champion.

....again.

Markolf is much better than many "WC riders".

Some WC Team should get him.
Every time I've seen Marcelo Gutierrez's name on a results list it's always been at the very pointy end too. Hopefully that guy gets somewhere, he's obviously spastic fast.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico

Actually thats just partially true, Javier Lopez comes from a very humble family, I think most of his bikes have been sponsored in some level, Ricardo have been working on his own to get enough cash to get through the mexican championship, so getting to international locations makes everything harder when things are in USD or euros, oh and i think you were talking about Julio Fernandez intead of Julio Tamez.
Mexican cycling federation is changing and getting better, although its gonna take a long time it gets to the level of chile, brazil or argentina's federations

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Actually thats just partially true, Javier Lopez comes from a very humble family, I think most of his bikes have been sponsored in some level, Ricardo have been working on his own to get enough cash to get through the mexican championship, so getting to international locations makes everything harder when things are in USD or euros, oh and i think you were talking about Julio Fernandez intead of Julio Tamez.
Mexican cycling federation is changing and getting better, although its gonna take a long time it gets to the level of chile, brazil or argentina's federations
Right, Fernandez... dunno where I came up with the Tamez. He is trying very hard to improve DH in Mexico City, but the federation is still crap.

Ricardo, he is racing on a Giant Glory DH or what? I can't remember.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm thinking he was on Team MSC at one point, which was no joke. He did OK in World Cup, but not all that great. But World Cup is a whole other world of it's own. Any top 40 rider in World Cup can travel to anything less and smoke the field.:thumb:
Marcelo was 20th at worlds. He's fast and super dedicated, but I don't think he has that much $$ to travel to races outside of south america. Someone should swipe him up.