Quantcast

2010 Paris Mt DH Race

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, that we will be doing everything we can to make this event happen this year. Our sponsorship $$ has come through and things look brighter for the event. Let’s just say a lot has been going on in the lives of the main people that help put on this race and has made it hard for us to even think about doing it this year. We don't want to let anyone down, so we are doing our best to make it happen. The event will be in Oct again this year. I think we have it set for the 16th.

We plan to have a (UpStateSORBA) meeting this Thursday the 13th, 6:30pm at The Poinsett Grill in Greenville. Plans are to discuss the plans for the event, leadership roles, what we still need, payouts and prizes, what trail work needs to be done, etc. Anyone local that wants to step up to help please see the link below to attend this meeting.

http://www.upstatesorba.org/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=196&jevtype=jevent&year=2010&month=05&day=13&Itemid=64

Racers, what I would like to see out of you is what you want from us out of this year’s event? Expectations? This way I can bring them up in the meeting and figure out what needs to change if any.

Thanks and hope to put on a great event for you this year.

Cecil:thumb:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
1 run format

Agreed...simplifies things, opens up more practice/downtime, and makes racing more exciting.

Personally, I would run the finish at the second bridge, then run shuttle from the archery range parking area. You could get all the timing equipment there easily, and the old finish didn't really add anything to the track. I do understand that the other parking lot is a better staging area and the pedal out breaks up the riders, so just a thought. Either way the year I went was great so keep up the good work.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I liked the drift down to the last berm finish, even though I hated the climb after the little bridge. Anyway you could make that uphill a do-able sprint to maintain momentum with either a little bit of bench cut or taking small rocks and filling in all the gaps in the roots to allow you up the bank quick.

Everything else was hunky dorey. I'm sure there are always things to tweak and fine tune, but I'm good with just pulling it off period. My 3 requirements for stoke are:

Lots of runs
Good track
Professional timing system

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
A rock garden that doesn't involve a 90 degree turn at the top of it and 1 run format would be my suggestions. 2009 was really fun though.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I liked the drift down to the last berm finish, even though I hated the climb after the little bridge. Anyway you could make that uphill a do-able sprint to maintain momentum with either a little bit of bench cut or taking small rocks and filling in all the gaps in the roots to allow you up the bank quick.
I am looking to fix those areas this year before the race to help racers carry speed up that hill. As for Timing we already have one of the best guys in the South East doing it for us.

A rock garden that doesn't involve a 90 degree turn at the top of it and 1 run format would be my suggestions. 2009 was really fun though.
You are not the only one to ask for this, but the reson behind they way we designed it was to slow the track down some. As we saw for 2009 it didn't slow guys down much.

Cecil

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Can the race be on Sunday. I live 7+hrs away. Its hard for me to make Saturday races and I'd really like to ride your race.
Sorry it was hard enough to get the race moved to a Saturday due to no riding in the park on Saturdays. The reason behind it is to hope to have a XC race in the future on a Sunday. There is a much bigger picture to this event than just DH racing. You will understand come 2011.

Cecil

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
You are not the only one to ask for this, but the reson behind they way we designed it was to slow the track down some. As we saw for 2009 it didn't slow guys down much.

Cecil
So since you made it to slow people down, and it didn't work, should you think about moving it up the trail about 15 feet? Then it would be straight up fun instead of annoying.

That and the section right after the bridge are the only areas that I heard people griping about last year.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
A rock garden that doesn't involve a 90 degree turn at the top of it.

Was there a turn there? I just saw a jump.;)
Ha, that was actually my favorite part of the course, but it was a pain in practice because there was no alternate line and people were just standing at the top of it.
There at least need to be an alt. line there.
I wish we could reroute the whole section from the rocks to the top of the uphill. Don't use either bridge and and just jump over the creek, but I don't see that happening.

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
Good job Cease! I wasn't able to race last year, but I do recall from 2008 a bunch of sharp rocks. Can you file them down a bit? Looking forward to racing on my b-day!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Cut that stump down on the left side of the trail just after the rock drop. That thing hurts. It was my favorite race of 2009 and had the best atmosphere. It sure would be nice to try to work some kind of jump into the track.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I wish we could reroute the whole section from the rocks to the top of the uphill. Don't use either bridge and and just jump over the creek, but I don't see that happening.
Cut that stump down on the left side of the trail just after the rock drop. That thing hurts. It was my favorite race of 2009 and had the best atmosphere. It sure would be nice to try to work some kind of jump into the track.
Something the size of the step down or the Creek Gap at Clemson would be perfect, with the alternate (slower) lines being the bridge(s).

I liked the 2 run format.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Something the size of the step down or the Creek Gap at Clemson would be perfect, with the alternate (slower) lines being the bridge(s).

I liked the 2 run format.
This is a State Park!!!! Not going to happen. We are very lucky to have this trail to race on. I am with you and also would love to put some jumps in, but not on this trail.

On a side note, the meeting went great. Lots of people showed up to volunteer to take on leadership roles for the race. A lot more than years past. I also have 2 very big surprises to tell you guys, but have to wait about 2 weeks before its all final. They are both big!!!!! One is so big its never been done before in the history of US DH Racing and can change things in the states if it happens.

Cecil:thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This is a State Park!!!! Not going to happen. We are very lucky to have this trail to race on. I am with you and also would love to put some jumps in, but not on this trail.
Understood, as others have said maybe make the line onto the bridge a little more direct and you could carry more speed up that little hill, because I hate to agree with Bizutch but that last little section including the last sweeping right hander was fun. However I will say that I was able to get the Demo up that thing so if I can do it....

Maybe propose making a man made launch that could be removed after the race? Again just a wish more so than any kind of criticism.

One is so big its never been done before in the history of US DH Racing and can change things in the states if it happens.
Transgenders can choose which class they want to race in? :think:

ktmdirtracer

Chimp
Oct 13, 2009
a step-up after that bridge over all the up-hill roots would be sweet, kinda hard to to carry speed to make it but that make it more fun, im sure you guys will figure something out, it was an awesome event last year so hope it works out again!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
a step-up after that bridge over all the up-hill roots would be sweet, kinda hard to to carry speed to make it but that make it more fun, im sure you guys will figure something out, it was an awesome event last year so hope it works out again!
I our meeting we talked about putting a lot of time into fixing that area. We hope to have it like a side walk by then. That means most of us will be able to cost up it without pedaling....... We will see.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Good idea!!!

That keeps the roots intact for the other 364 days of the year and allows the trail riding crowd to pedal through, but you can come off the bridge race day, get a good POP over the roots with a well placed lip that can be converted to a roller with a couple nicks of the shovel after the race is over.:thumb::thumb:

eccorp

Chimp
May 18, 2010
Cecil,
let me know when we can meet in regards to the dh race. Need to go over some things. Let's see what we can do. Also need to know who to talk to bout sponsorship info. Got several interests just need more info. Email me at jpeek@eccorp1.com

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Quick question to you guys planning to come this year. Would you like to see a Pre-Race party again or have a After-Race party with the awards done then? Remember the race will be on a Saturday. Let me know as we will be going over plans for the race this Sunday.

Thanks,
Cecil

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I hope you guys sent him a w-2 at the end of the year so he could claim all the stuff he won on his taxes