Quantcast

2010 POC Cortex DH now with even more anti headsmashing properties

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I had to stop racing DH because of head injuries, plus I promote Canada's largest DH series, so I take this stuff seriously. I did a couple Super D races this year and got myself a POC helmet to minimize the chances of my head turning to an even mushier mass of proteins :)

Not sure if any of you saw the pics from Interbike/Eurobike but the 2010 Cortex has raised the bar again in terms of full face helmet safety standards. Multi Impact liner, Kevlar anti penetration liner, VDSAP dual shell technology and now...

They have partnered with MIPS to reduce concussions by up to 40%. It uses a new technology called MIPS, which acts like the brains natural protection against violent rotation. The helmet shell floats on the body of the helmet allowing it to move independently from the body, which dampens the rotational violence transferred to the rider’s head. The shell is held in place by a replaceable shear pin so that it will only move around when impacted.

http://www.mipshelmet.se/

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
My next helmet will most likely be one of those. Super impressed with all the POC gear I've seen so far (including the knee/shins which I currently own), hope the helmet is as good as it claims to be. Scandinavian graphical style is sick too.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
i have to say they same, i think if i can afford it my next helmet will be one of these. Seems to have alot of good science backing it> also i like the Scandinavian styling! :-)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the helmets look nice except for the mouth piece area. they all seem to be a mile away from the face on everyone ive seen

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I can't believe I'm saying this, but even the styling is growing on me.

Still, it's hard to resist a shiny new TLD, even when you're head's at stake...

When is POC going to introduce a collarbone protector? Most would say it can't be done, but I beg to differ if thinking outside the box. This floating helmet shell idea shows that POC can do just that...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can't believe I'm saying this, but even the styling is growing on me.

Still, it's hard to resist a shiny new TLD, even when you're head's at stake...

When is POC going to introduce a collarbone protector? Most would say it can't be done, but I beg to differ if thinking outside the box. This floating helmet shell idea shows that POC can do just that...
Keep in mind, POC is still a relatively young company. They started out as a ski company only a few years ago (based on what I've heard, couldn't find any info on their site). Give them time.

Zombies

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
The new MIPS technology is only on their top end 2010 helmet. The cheaper Cortex flow will not have it.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Keep in mind, POC is still a relatively young company. They started out as a ski company only a few years ago (based on what I've heard, couldn't find any info on their site). Give them time.
yup, huge in europe ski/snowboards. Started cracking into the us little bit ago. Still dont see them much on the slopes here. Its such a weird market for protection on the slopes.

There DH stuff looks really nice. The ipod/euro look is growing on me. I will be getting this lid next year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
and with your 400.00 you could buy about 3/4 of the POC helmet since retail is $569.00. Or for the price of a POC, you can buy 2 Troy Lee D2s online, 1 Giro Remedy and 1 Fox Rampage. :thumb:
First the POC Cortex flow is about $289, Cortex DH is $540.

ofcourse none of those helmets you mentioned offer the multi impact SEPP liner of the POC, so once you hit those helmets once hard, you have no idea what level of integrity they have in your next crash, with POC's multi impact liner you know the helmets integrity is maintained. Therefore you will need all those other helmets as back up to replace each other after each fall ;)