Quantcast

2010 Reign X Prototype

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
somehow i guess I assumed they could not come out with an uglier bike. and yes, looks are all that matters.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think it looks by far much better than current Reign X. ThruAxle is also an attractive feature for me. The bent bottom of the downtube seems to be a consequnce of the shock reservoir, doesn't it? Now I'm not sure about previous ReignX but it seems they solved even possible downtube damage casued by oversteered front wheel (fork crown and arch doesn't contact main frame). Adjustable seatpost might be important.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
yeh i too really like the look of it! cant wait for it to come out, i really want to build up a mini dh around that frame

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I really hope that's a size small frame, and the HA looks that steep because of a weird angle.
Head angle looks pretty slack in the video with the product manager. Hard to tell on cameras. Either way, the guy mentions there will be additional geometry changes. Let's hope they don't steepen the head angle at all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

i think I like the old one better, but this one isn't too bad. I'd love to get one, if I had the cash, regardless of how ugly it may or may not be.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Reminds me of the horrid transformation the SX Trail just took. From brutal, industrial awesomeness to round, drippy, "gonna give birth to 800 guppies any second" sort of look.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
question-
shouldn't the shock be mounted the opposite direction, to minimize unsprung weight? I've never gotten that with some setups.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If you mounted the shock the other way, woyuldn't the reservoir hit the downtube as the shock moved? You'd have to make it even more "preganant".

I think the bike looks great. Might get one.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm not suprised it looks swoopy after the Reign and Trance X. Also, I think the curvyness of it is exagerated since it's a small. Hopefully the medium and large look better.

I'm pretty happy I built up a Slopestyle instead of waiting for this...

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Looks great. Really low, slack and with tube specs that IH could only dream about.

I'd love one.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I don't care how it looks, how does it ride? have they shortened the chainstays or is it still a luxury liner?

I don't get why people care how the bike looks. I don't ever assess another rider based on his bike or how the bike looks. to me riding is about the rider, not what is being ridden.

I have a suggestion to everyone who's saying it "looks like" this or that. maybe designers admire each other's designs from an aesthetic view, from a functional view, or from a mixture of both.

also, it makes sense to have your weight as close to the BB as possible for cornering and handling purposes, so it's only natural that designs are evolving to put shocks in the basement and structurally you need a little flat zone down there for most configurations, to make that basement location work.

Last edited: