Quantcast

2010 Rigs: Demo vs Glory FRAME

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I am in a big dilemna. what is going to be my 2010 race steed. I had the 07 demo and liked it but it was too long and didn't corner well, but went great through rockgardens, and pedaled ok. I have an 09 glory im selling that pedals great corners great, but is just two heavy (the suspension also doesn't quite compare to the demo). So does anyone have any opinions on these new bikes?
these are my thoughts so far
demo:a little heavier frame possibly, WAY longer wheelbase,
glory: shorter and lighter

the trails I ride my dh bike on are NOT close to world cup courses at all, therefore I am skeptical about getting a demo again. the cornering/pedaling abilities of the glory seem way better for me considering all my home trails are mostly just agressive all mtn stuff. What do I do?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Why does it have to be giant or specialized? Open your options a little if you are not buying those 2 for a certain reason. Also if the trails aren't super demanding, why not go for a FR bike like those new scotts, or an sx trail?

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I can only buy giant or specialized and be within my
budget. I already will have a 6" bike and will be riding whistler northstar and racing a few times through out the season so I dont want a 7" bike.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
seems to me you already know what you want. you are already leaning towards the giant so why not get the giant? you say it will suit your riding area better than the demo so why question it?

Giant.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Disclaimer: Have ridden the 2010 glory, not the demo... I also have no personal interest in what bike you buy unlike the guy above who seems to be commissioned to sell giants.

I think the glory would be a decent choice for what you are looking for, although I didn't feel it cornered very well. It has a pretty terrible turning radius(I would call it unacceptable and not buy the bike because of this) with a boxxer due to the way the headtube flares out at the headtube junction. This might be okay If you were always riding really fast in straight lines but if you do slower all mountain type riding you will have issues unless you ride a wider dual crown or a single crown. Also due to the relatively high bb and steep headangle it felt a bit unstable to me in corners at speed, so basically in all cornering situations, from slow techy to high speed it does not perform very well.

Other positives: Jumps well, light frame, pedals average
Negatives: not great in the rough stuff, weird geo(although I think it would work well for you except what I mentioned above)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I wonder what's with the glory vs demo comparisons lately. Completely different bikes so the decision should be easy though there are other bikes that imho seem like a nicer better ride.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I'm guessing it is because lots of shop employees have access to both of them at pretty good prices. Personally I don't like either that much and wouldn't buy either one.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm guessing it is because lots of shop employees have access to both of them at pretty good prices. Personally I don't like either that much and wouldn't buy either one.
I doubt there are so many shop employees ;)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Disclaimer: Have ridden the 2010 glory, not the demo... I also have no personal interest in what bike you buy unlike the guy above who seems to be commissioned to sell giants.
hey did you read his first post? did you not get the feeling he was leanin more towards the giant than the demo? thats why i said get the giant. now if he was leaning towards the demo i would say get the demo. to me it seems he already know what he wants and i dont know why he doesnt just read the other 4 threads on glory vs demo on here and go from there.

and no i dont make money on selling giants.... or do I?

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
hey did you read his first post? did you not get the feeling he was leanin more towards the giant than the demo? thats why i said get the giant. now if he was leaning towards the demo i would say get the demo. to me it seems he already know what he wants and i dont know why he doesnt just read the other 4 threads on glory vs demo on here and go from there.

and no i dont make money on selling giants.... or do I?
I agree, it seems like he is leaning towards the Giant. Go with it. However i would recommend a Demo but thats just cause i love mine :)

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Definitely possible and fairly common, but if you are sponsored by someone or whatever you aren't really impartial. What I am saying is that if you are on an internet forum advertising a brand with every post, there is some motive for doing so and often it shows up as a positive bias when reviewing that brands product.

Off topic though and back to the original question - I am agreeing that the giant would be a decent choice, just that there are some issues that may be deal breakers.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
What I am saying is that if you are on an internet forum advertising a brand with every post,
Who's advertising? Yuroshek? Funny, I've never seen one of his advertisements. What do they look like? Full-page? Half-page? Little corner? Point me to the magazine, point me to the page.

Oh wait. You're talking about his tagline? Sheesh. You gotta be kidding me. Stating what he rides, that's "advertisement"?

I guess the lingo in BC must be radically different where "advertisement" is concerned.