Quantcast

2010 Schwalbe line up!

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Hopefully they have addressed some issues with quality control and the tires actually stay on the rims...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hopefully they have addressed some issues with quality control and the tires actually stay on the rims...
COmpletely different mix now, and yes it was addressed thats why they gave people 2 tires for 1. Good CS and to instill faith.
The new ones have a silver (freeride version) or gold version (DH) logo and they are all the new compounds and batch.

Lets see 42 st something a rather and a hillbillys smile with lugs missing Hmmm who was that! Oh yeah maxxis.
(Oh what a coincidence post #42 LOL)

No ones impervious to the occasional issue all they can do is honor the issue and correct it. Im impressed with the CS and to the extent they hooked up there users as well as the new product line has a good terrain use for specific terrain....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bullcrew, you're using the gold casings on 823's right? How bad is it to seat the bead compared to a non-UST maxxis?
STUPID easy I seated the gold labels with a floor pump last week they have been off the bike as Im waiting for my new frame tomorrow. I checked them and they are still hard and full of air.
They seal SUPER EASY, I have a crappy floor pump for the kids basket ball and it filled em right up and they popped locked bead at 42psi. I spun em and hung em 7 days later still full of air and ready to ride.:thumb:

Ill load a pic of the crappy pump hooked up to them, I snapped a pic after doing the first one, Its going to be part of the dirty dan review shortly...

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
The guye apparently hooks up less than in warmer and Id expect that as its a soft compound like gum when it gets cold it gets harder. Wont be as hard as a 60a but harder than the typical GG because its cold...

They work well in cold ive ridden GGs in SNOW and ice and ladders etc they hold up just fine and stay predictable...
I found out that triple compound behave much better than GG (in said conditions), anyway I've got a pair of BS yesterday and I'm super happy with them :thumb:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id check bikebling.com they rock and I thing redbarn bikes I know T at bikebling.com has a HUGE selections of schwalbe biggest Ive seen in a retail store but has good online prices. Theres always the alternative to get em from Schwalbe direct youll probably pay a nit more but Im sure they are in stock.
Bikebing doesnt even have the Muddy Mary on their site.

I cant find the Muddy Mary in GG any where.

Schwalbe tires look sweet if you could just find them. Their website stinks too. The pics of the tires are worthless. They need real pics. Im starting to wonder about them. You almost had me swithed Bullcrew. :) Im not paying almost $80 each on their website either.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yea I have been having trouble too. BTI shows that they are currently out of stock, so I imagine almost everyone will be :rant:
That is because I bought the last one they had a week ago......and a tripple for the back.

They do look good, and are a noticable bit wider than 2.35 maxxis (what isn't). Unfortunately I have not had a chance to ride them as the CCDB has been back at cane creek for ~ two weeks for a 2010 upgrade. Currently running a broomstick section in place of the shock....

The pricing is super out of hand however. I assumed (incorrectly) that for $80 retail each, that they would be made in Germany...

I also agree, the 'pictures' on the web site are very bad. They do not do a good job of representing the tire at all.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
COmpletely different mix now, and yes it was addressed thats why they gave people 2 tires for 1. Good CS and to instill faith.
The new ones have a silver (freeride version) or gold version (DH) logo and they are all the new compounds and batch.

Lets see 42 st something a rather and a hillbillys smile with lugs missing Hmmm who was that! Oh yeah maxxis.
(Oh what a coincidence post #42 LOL)

No ones impervious to the occasional issue all they can do is honor the issue and correct it. Im impressed with the CS and to the extent they hooked up there users as well as the new product line has a good terrain use for specific terrain....

Hopefully that is the case. From my experience both times I dealt with warranty I was refused the two for one deal. The second time I dealt with one of the directors and she was pretty far from accommodating. Said she couldn't just give me a tire without doing some "investigating" otherwise she would lose money.

Both times I was told that the two for one deal only applied to European markets.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I found out that triple compound behave much better than GG (in said conditions), anyway I've got a pair of BS yesterday and I'm super happy with them :thumb:
Good yeah I noticed on ladders in snow and cold the GGs hooked up just fine. They werent soft like in normal consditions but the hooked up really well.
The triple may be less effected by cold than the GG and allow it to stay pliable vs over hardening and that may be the case.

Either way I got Dirty Dans LOADED and ready for a mud run and complete snot crud as well as COLD temps. N. Idaho bound next weekend, leaving friday and hooking up with the guys and riding saturday/sunday lots of different terrain. Yes bringing the waterproof gear LOL.

super excited!!!!!!! The dirty dans Look SICK mounted, makes you want to twist a throttle "BWAAAP"....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How does the 2.35 FR Muddy Mary compare to the 2.5 Maxxis Minion. Are they about the same size or should I go with the 2.5 Muddy Mary?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Talked to Terry at bikebling.com today I told him about the MM GG and He ordered 10 Muddy mary 2.35 freeride guey glueys. They will be in stock and on his website within 7-10 days. You can call him though to get a price he has very good deals on stuff.

So now he knows they exist and now hes carrying them...

Yes 2.35s are similiar to 2.5 maxxis

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Any thoughts on a WW rear/ BB front combo? I've been running a BB up front for a while now, it KILLED it today on some tacky dirt. I'm a little less impressed with it in loose over hardpack though.

I'm in SoCal fwiw.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bikebling has them instock and is stocking the ones you asked about; I called him and he orderd them right away!

HOLY $h!t. LOVE THE DIRTY DAN!!!!!!

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

went to the crack and did the drop in, wall ride and ripped the tight corners and jumps. Tire was staight MOTO style. Grab and go!!!!

I officially have a new favorite tire for loamy and NW style terrain. Still love the Muddy MArys but it was a bit wet and clay style mud today so out came the Dirty Dans to play and they killed it.
Man the grip was insane it was like MX again just pin it and lay it out.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Totally. Those tires are so sick! What surprised me the most was in the dry and steep how they ripped just as hard. That is my favorite tire on the Champery track in the wet or dry. I am thinking about running mainly those for next season.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ill have to call them because they are not on the website yet.
Yeah Terry was adding them when they came in.
Id call him anywase and tell him I told him to hook it up LOL. Hes a good guy Im imressed with him and his staff (best wheel builder works for him) and on hand stock. Some serious BLING in his showroom.

Yeah the Dirty dans killed it yesterday, I was blown away. NEVER expected that kind of grip.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Is it too much to ask to have something in the name of the tire hinting as to it's tread pattern or application? Every time I scan this thread, I have to go digging to be reminded which tires you refer to.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
FYI - you need to update post #2 in this thread now. You promised.:thumb:
I will shortly, we had a run yesterday and then this weekend we are hoping to get a 5k start which will put us in snow and run a single track all the way down complete with drops, rocks, mud, ice etc.... If the top is too jacked then we will head up river and run a few mountain runs there. It tends to be less snow and the river keeps it a bit warmer.
If all goes well this weekend though it will be a heavy initial review, bikes ready to rock and pretty dialed in Ill tune more today to get it stable and right where its a cadillac then its ON!!!!!!!!!!
Heres Jerry from yesterday, we were tuning and dialing stuff in the pic was the only one we stopped and snapped we were too busy riding. It wasnt for review it was making sure I tightend down all the bolts etc :D and apparently I did because it held. BTW the Jedi is a almost silent bike down the track, no real chainslap or noise come from it which is nice...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I like universal Ive ordered from them a couple of times good company never had an issue.

Ill still use Terry at bikebling.com I now know him and only because after talking to him on the phone made it a point to drive 60 miles south to meet him and take a look at his shop. Im not close to him now but will still use him based on availability and quick shipping. I needed 823s asap and he had them for me at a good price then I ran them to powder coat had them done (all in the same day :D) took em over and he went out of his way to make sure his guy laced em up to the I9 stuff right away.
I had em done and still practiced the next day and raced the following. :thumb: Diddnt know me from squat, just knew i needed something done right and right now!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Like a Maxxis Super Tacky. The Muddy Mary last longer than the Big Betty as a rear in Goey Gluey. The 2.35 Muddy Mary GG as a rear lasts pretty well.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
guys please provide some more info on running the Freeride versions of these tyres for DH? the weight savings are too hard to ignore. Currently running 2.5 Minion DHF front & rear. need more infor on Downhill casing vs freeride casing. will it greatly affect the tyres performance other than weight savings?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
guys please provide some more info on running the Freeride versions of these tyres for DH? the weight savings are too hard to ignore. Currently running 2.5 Minion DHF front & rear. need more infor on Downhill casing vs freeride casing. will it greatly affect the tyres performance other than weight savings?
I've been fine with a BB FR up front. Haven't tried one in back.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
beat the crap outa FR versions last year and raced on em with great success. No Issues, Ill post a pic from this weekend as soon as weiser gets it over I did a drop and smacked the rear HARD on the rock (jagged and unforgiving) it barely burped but put a small dent on each side of the 823.
Still held air went to the bike park and was lofting there as well and hammering down and no issues. Did the expert line and shot all the bigger stuff, got to the truck to see why it felt a little slow and the tires were at 20 psi all day. LOL NO ISSUES.

Freeride version is a solid tire and the snakeskin is a HUGE plus...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
beat the crap outa FR versions last year and raced on em with great success. No Issues, Ill post a pic from this weekend as soon as weiser gets it over I did a drop and smacked the rear HARD on the rock (jagged and unforgiving) it barely burped but put a small dent on each side of the 823.
Still held air went to the bike park and was lofting there as well and hammering down and no issues. Did the expert line and shot all the bigger stuff, got to the truck to see why it felt a little slow and the tires were at 20 psi all day. LOL NO ISSUES.

Freeride version is a solid tire and the snakeskin is a HUGE plus...
Let me make sure I got this right, you ran single ply tires without tubes at 20 psi all day? Didn't it feel like you were riding on noodles?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Let me make sure I got this right, you ran single ply tires without tubes at 20 psi all day? Didn't it feel like you were riding on noodles?
No more like riding on marshmallows LOL I had a hard time getting speed on the jump line BUT it was semi loamy and squishy sand over hard.

So i didnt really pay attention the first part, went to truck figured Id air the crap out of em to atleast cut through and when I hooked the pump it was at 19 on rear and 20 on front!
So yes the better part of the day was 20 psi and even when I pumped em up I didnt grab a ton of speed the dirt was pretty crappy in all the spots that counted like the low spots and going into the berms.

Gas and Go mentality sometimes! :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How would the GG MM hold up as a rear tire?
Fine its what Im running right now, I have a 2.5 GG MM front and rear in the freeride versions on at the moment.
I actually have more GG even for the rear of the bike this season and for hard pack I have a few triple rolling around here.
Like any softer tire ie 40d, 42, stickE, black chili etc. B your going to wear semi quick if your pedalling around the parking lot a bunch. I have several rides with it as a rear and rode em as rears before and they hold up really well. Even under hard braking on rocks and Steeps they dont show signs of ripped lugs. Not too say it wont happen as all tires rip at some point.

Bottom line is it will be fine and it will hook up better than a triple being its softer as well as lower psi it'll conform a bit better than a harder compound.:thumb:

Did you end up getting the one in the classifieds, that was stupid cheap for a new one.....

My dirty dans are guey front and rear!

Last edited:

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I ran 2.35 GG MM's at Reading this past weekend. I rode 2.5 Minion DHF's all last season and was pleasantly surprised at how grippy the MM's were. Good braking traction, predictable drift once I got used to them, felt like they were rolling pretty fast too. Definitely going to start the season on them.