Quantcast

2010 Schwalbe line up!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
is the Muddy Mary 2.35 closest to the traction of the Minion 2.5?

im interested in trying some Schwables this year.
Yes size and traction, its faster than a minion though. My review last season when I initially ran them side by side with minions at the big line at the parks was:
The minions were great predictable as always and my go to tire THEN I ran the Muddy marys GG 2.35 not only did I go through the corners faster and blow out of the berms with grip I overshot ALL the jumps considerably! Too the point I way overshot a double to the right to almost flat.

I know that course like the back of my hand but the speed of the MM was ALOT faster and hooked up ALOT better to the point I was unprepared.

I will be on Schwalbes for for a long time now, Im more than happy!!

The BigBetty rear on Socal hardpack as a rear or rock faces in a GueyGluey form is incredible.

The Muddy Mary is the most diversified tire Ive ran and hooks up on just about everything ive thrown at it and is predictable as well as SOLID performance. If you think its going to sacrafice a bit on wet loose roots and rocks run a guey gluey in the rear as well and problem solved.

THE DIRTY DAN is the nastiest tire Ive ran in the crap and muck, from 7" snow to loam to MUD to absolute NAAAAASTY stuff and it RAILS.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
whats GG again?
GG = Guey Gluey soft compound

Triple= triple compound soft sides hard center and a less porous under layer for less rolling resistance

MM = Muddy mary (intermediate tire good for almost all conditions)

BB = Big Betty (loose over hard )

DD = Dirty Dan (Spike)

WW = Wicked Will (strong performance in HARD pack conditions)

CPK= California Pizza Kitchen (really good chicken parmasean pizza :thumb:)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hmm it seems QBP only has some models on there. not the 2.35 dh tire
Alan at velomech.net or if your affiliated with a bike shop Schwalbes can be ordered from them at dealer price with no minimum order so 1 or 20 doesnt make a difference they have a good price.

If not then Alan at Velomech (Boise, Id) call him or Terry at bikebling.com in N. county San Diego can hook it up as well but CALL!!!!

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Ill be running 2.4 GG Muddy marys, 2.5 triple Compound Wicked Wills, and 2.4 GG Big bettys this season, But bullcrew, i cannot agree that the muddy mary is an intermediate, the Big betty is far more suited as a counterpart to the minion, the big betty is far, far better suited to wet but not knee deep spike conditions.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ill be running 2.4 GG Muddy marys, 2.5 triple Compound Wicked Wills, and 2.4 GG Big bettys this season, But bullcrew, i cannot agree that the muddy mary is an intermediate, the Big betty is far more suited as a counterpart to the minion, the big betty is far, far better suited to wet but not knee deep spike conditions.
Thats cool, I have ridden all of them over the course of the last 2 years and the MM is by far the intermediate tire thay have as is the minion for maxxis.
The BB is more suited as a rear or for dry rocky conditions but between the 2 the MM is definently a good tire on dry as well.
The MM doesn't come in 2.4 that Im aware of and a BB vs a Minion in a bit nastier conditions Id give it to the minion but the minion vs the MM in an overall goes to the MM.

range:
1 being slop
10 being bone dry dusty

minion 3-8
Big betty 5-8
MM 2-8

This is based on riding all these tires from the NW mud slop snow to bootleg, tunnel all over socal racing and inbetween from Washington state to San Diego and I will state the MM is definently the tire if I had 1 set that Id take to any of these places and not feel in over my head.

As far as having tires I have just about every configuration of the DH/FR line sitting here and the ones that have been beaten on the most is the Muddy marys.
Big betty is a killer rear tire for harder stuff matched with a MM front, these are just observations and experience I have had with them as well as BuckoW can vouge as well as the UK guys like the BB rear MM front combo for a variety of terrain.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yeah but are they compatible with 10 speed rear cassettes? :D
No only 11 speed cassette and only if its on a rootbeer Foes! :thumb:

Dont let Muddy mary fool you, it does good in all conditions and doesnt roll like a spike tire the center lugs (every other one) are connected to keep good control and no knob roll.

My aresenal is mainly a number of the muddy marys and just a few of the others for specific areas.

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
I bought a new Yeti 303r this year and it came with 2.4 GG Big Bettys. I set them up ghetto tubeless right off the bat. I have had them in muddy, hardpack, and some rough rocky conditions. I have been very impressed with them so far, especially how well they hook up in the corners. I have had 4 solid shuttle days on them and the rear tire center lugs are starting to wear down slightly but there are no torn lugs. Does anyone have any experience with the BB vs the MM in the moon dust at Northstar? I was thinking about going with the GG compound up front and the triple compound in the rear this summer for longer tire life but both of these tires are hard to find in the DH casing and the triple compound and I don't wana pay 80 plus direct from schwalbe.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I bought a new Yeti 303r this year and it came with 2.4 GG Big Bettys. I set them up ghetto tubeless right off the bat. I have had them in muddy, hardpack, and some rough rocky conditions. I have been very impressed with them so far, especially how well they hook up in the corners. I have had 4 solid shuttle days on them and the rear tire center lugs are starting to wear down slightly but there are no torn lugs. Does anyone have any experience with the BB vs the MM in the moon dust at Northstar? I was thinking about going with the GG compound up front and the triple compound in the rear this summer for longer tire life but both of these tires are hard to find in the DH casing and the triple compound and I don't wana pay 80 plus direct from schwalbe.
Triple rear GG front is a great set up, I run that most of the time. The big betty rear triple and MM front guey is a pretty overall winning combo Ive been running the MM front/rear GG and just overall everything I can find and when it gets a bit harder pack Ill be throwing a BB on the rear again.
I have ran Socal on em as well as Brundige here and Tamarack both moon dust hard rocks jagged etc and they work great.

This is where I have found my sweet spot:
Rear 2.35 triple compound 27/29 PSI tubeless
Front 2.35 - 2.5 Guey Gluey 26-28 psi tubeless

Dry mountain terrain MM front BB rear, Tunnel or Cold springs BB front and rear, Dry dusty with blown corners etc BB rear MM front.

If its bone dry and hard pack wicked will, If its NASTY and up top muddy bottom runoff on a mtn then Dirty dan.

Point is if you hover on BB and a MM you will be OK in almost all Socal terrain as well as Norcal.:thumb:

Summer:
If I had 2 pick 2 tires for all over and that was all I could have it would be a BB rear and a MM front.
Winter: MM front and rear

The other 2 tires are more specific and what you should buy after you have your 80% ride tires that are the main ones used...

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Doesn't anyone have the Wicked Wills? Seems those would be the Minion killer to me. BTW the DD GG rock! Tire rolls really well for being a spike and it's was the only one I have set up right now so I used them at the local track(hardpack, loose gravel) they did really well.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
i knwo this the DH thread but also interested in what do you (DH) guys run on your all mountain bikes, Nobby Nic front with rocket ron or racing ralph rear?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i knwo this the DH thread but also interested in what do you (DH) guys run on your all mountain bikes, Nobby Nic front with rocket ron or racing ralph rear?
My wifes bike nobby nic front/rear and it hooks up better than I thought. She rode the Jedi today and I rode her bike pulling my kid whos a stump in his bigger 2 seat trail buggy behind it and I was literally damn near breaking her chain hammering down on the poor thing to climb a steep hill with the kid in tote and it was loose mild mud at bottom and loose over hard up where it drained and they hooked up good enough to where I couldnt pedal through the stroke on the steep.

Id ride em if I was a XC, they are pretty damn impressive...

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
Do any online retailers have the triple compound BB in the DH casing? I found Universal Cycles has the MM and BB in the DH casing, but in the GG compound only. It seems like the freeride casings are much more popular.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Do any online retailers have the triple compound BB in the DH casing? I found Universal Cycles has the MM and BB in the DH casing, but in the GG compound only. It seems like the freeride casings are much more popular.
You can look on the schwalbe USA site and under the tire you look at is a block that says if they are in stock or not.
If they are in call Alan at Velomech.net and tell him I said to hook it up and he can get them in right away or your local shop can order from Schwalbe directly witn no minimum purchase Quantity...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Doesn't anyone have the Wicked Wills? Seems those would be the Minion killer to me. BTW the DD GG rock! Tire rolls really well for being a spike and it's was the only one I have set up right now so I used them at the local track(hardpack, loose gravel) they did really well.
i rode a wicked will gg front, muddy mary triple combo last summer. in the dry on hardpack the wicked will grips very nice, but don't use it in the mud/wet, it packs to much mud and you'll slide the most time on the front. for my whistler season i choose a dirty dan combo, one ww/gg and one mm only combo, front always gg, back always triple

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i rode a wicked will gg front, muddy mary triple combo last summer. in the dry on hardpack the wicked will grips very nice, but don't use it in the mud/wet, it packs to much mud and you'll slide the most time on the front. for my whistler season i choose a dirty dan combo, one ww/gg and one mm only combo, front always gg, back always triple
Yeah rear triple works really well and lasts, I thought about running the wicked will rear and MM front to get the back to break free a bit sooner to push corners.

Dirty Dans are NASTY in a good way, god I love those beasts... Thats a viscious tire, cut the rear knobs down 3mm and make a good trac tire of it and keep the front long.
They hook up and grab everything but dont fold like a typical spike, maybe because the lugs are staggered vs in a straight row all the way so it distributes some force but doesnt sacrafice grip.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Having ridden a Big Betty a few years back and being happy, and being pursuaded by Bully's fine salesmanship, I slapped some new rubber on the all mountain rig (Gary Fisher Roscoe II). I went Wicked Will on the rear and Muddy Mary on the front, both in the Goey Gluey. They look good for sub-1,000g tires. The Muddy Mary mounted up easily and the tread looks tasty. The Wicked Will was a bit harder to mount, but not too hard (it did need to sit overnight at 50psi to fully lock in and even out with the bead in the rim).

My stock rims are Bontrager Rhythm Comps and the stock tires were also Bontragers, supposedly weighing in at 700 grams in the 2.4 size. The Betty Was supposedly 850g and the Will was 890g. My bathroom-scale test proves that to be about right as the total bike weight went up from 30lbs to 30.5lbs.

The tread pattern on the Wicked Will looks backward to what I expect, but I'm going to give it a shot with the suggested rotation direction.

I will have a dirt test this weekend. Until then, I can say that they tires are sticky, sticky enough that I could hear them roll on my hardwood floors in my apartment.

And here are some pix for size comparison.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah your going to love the sidewall protection adam, I have chaffed it several times on rocks and fibers hanging out but still yet to slice or puncture a sidewall. i have the 2.5 freeride MMs in GG front and rear right now and LOVIN it. Yes slower on pedaling hte flats but the hook up is insane on any terrain. They Killed the bike park the other day loose over hard and I was hammering the berms LOW and fast leaned no break away as a matter of fact there was no loss of traction on leaning. Ill get a video (helmet cam) and some shots this weekend if it dries up so I dont rut the park up.

Keep me posted Adam I think id probably sacrafice a little rolling and mount it backwards. But thats my opinion and I want to hear yours.... Let me know.

Have a good ride and Im jealous, this place SUCKS only good news is Diety is near 2 of my Nampa locations so i can stop in and ponder the new goods. LOL

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are you sure I'd be getting more rolling resistance mounting it "backwards"? It looks like I'd be rolling faster mounting it that way.
No they are designed to roll in the direction they have on the side, I reversed them becausse of a suggestion and liked it a bit better on loose over hard. It felt like it had a smidge more drag but a bit more bite with the chevron profile.
Try them the way they are set, I know the trails and you really well so I know the style and I want your input on them this way first.......:thumb:
If you decided after running them to reverse them keep me posted as well, it helps to have more than 1 persons findings....

I will run them back to back as soon as its dry out and take notes literally on how it performed for varied terrain. I dont have a ton of time on that particular tire of the group but I do have enough to know that it is a specific tire that rocks...

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Add another name to the list that has tried the muddy marys and is mightily impressed. I was at a race and could see that it was going to rain and the track was fast, off camber and pretty sketchy. Hadn't put them on before I got there as I was worried about them being too slow rolling compared to my minion dhf, highroller combo and I hadn't seen the track. Mounted ghetto tubeless with a track pump, was shocked at how BIG the 2.5 is once inflated. Looks like a moto tyre, looks like they will roll horribly, first run........f-ing impressed. Should have tried them before a race weekend as it took me quite a few runs to get the most out of them, but they've been on for a couple of weeks now and they've done runs in everything from slop to baked clay, they roll as well as mates bikes running minions - even on true hard pack. They are SO confidence inspiring, mates keep asking if they've gotten slower! Was riding with someone who is normally faster than me and I was all over his back wheel - he commented on how he could hear my tyres roaring as I was cornering and how he knew I was pushing him on every corner or off camber section, the noise they make when you push them into a corner is insane! He followed me for and a run and I made a good gap - that never happens! He's off to buy some MM's.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Add another name to the list that has tried the muddy marys and is mightily impressed. I was at a race and could see that it was going to rain and the track was fast, off camber and pretty sketchy. Hadn't put them on before I got there as I was worried about them being too slow rolling compared to my minion dhf, highroller combo and I hadn't seen the track. Mounted ghetto tubeless with a track pump, was shocked at how BIG the 2.5 is once inflated. Looks like a moto tyre, looks like they will roll horribly, first run........f-ing impressed. Should have tried them before a race weekend as it took me quite a few runs to get the most out of them, but they've been on for a couple of weeks now and they've done runs in everything from slop to baked clay, they roll as well as mates bikes running minions - even on true hard pack. They are SO confidence inspiring, mates keep asking if they've gotten slower! Was riding with someone who is normally faster than me and I was all over his back wheel - he commented on how he could hear my tyres roaring as I was cornering and how he knew I was pushing him on every corner or off camber section, the noise they make when you push them into a corner is insane! He followed me for and a run and I made a good gap - that never happens! He's off to buy some MM's.
Hell yeah, same thing here. Its amazing how far you can push the Muddy Marys. Been several times Id have expected to wash out and it just stuck it..

Now if we can get them to make better decisions for me on line choices!
A result of MXn the rocks, get ontop and try and skip em... Tires did great I didnt do so great. :D

Last edited:

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
damn that looks expensive^^^

I am looking at getting some Mary's for the DH bike, they will probably be my "do everything" tire unless maybe I get a spike for the real nasty days.
I live in the southeast and much of the terrain is a mix between loam, rocks, and some hardpack.
I was thinking GG front and triple rear, but I would also be able to rotate them out if I went for GG on both. What do you fellas think?
Also I am having a hard time deciding between 2.35 and 2.5- generally I prefer more volume and traction to rolling resistance, but I have heard the 2.5's are pretty big. Any thoughts here?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hard choice, I say if its freeride and rocks with some DH racing Id opt for the GG 2.5 DH muddy mary front and rear. Theres more of a dense feel with the GGs and it smooths out the little vibrations from crud on the trail.
If your concerned about wear then slap a triple on the rear and it will wear really good... Keep GGs on the front though.

Size is preference Im running 2.5s right now and they both have there place I like the dans in 2.35 they saw through the crud but the marys 2.5 get on top of stuff and take it..

On the note you mentioned rotating them then I assume your planning on taking the old front and putting on rear and a new on up front and cycle it that way.

If thats the case then yeah Id run GGs and just keep on softer compound.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just put a 2.5 MM on the front and a 2.3 MM on the back. The 2.5 is HUGE! I was going to sell it and get another 2.3 but I think Im going to give it a try.

Id say the 2.3 MM is the same as a Maxxis 2.5
BUT
the 2.5 MM is little bigger than a Maxxis 2.7.

You can tell from the side pic that the vlume on the 2.5 is a lot more than the 2.3.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just back from my first ride one the Schwalbe rubber. Had a 2.35 on the front and rear, both GG compound, Mary front and Will rear. Man, what an improvement from the stock Bontrager tires on my Roscoe. The tires added 0.5 pounds and felt heavier and rolled slower on the way up the hill, but they were worth their weight on the way down. Think SoCal hard pack with monkeyfist/babyhead filled ruts from washouts, along with bermless corners in loose rubbish. On my last ride in similar conditions, I had concerns about the ability of this 140mm travel rig when the going got rough. This week, I was plowing through with much more confidence. The Mary hooked up everywhere, and I can tell it will let me pick more aggressive lines as I get more comfortable. The Will was good too, but I think I could have gone Mary on the rear and been just as happy. The trail called for skidding in sections to get around corners and it was harder to break these tires loose than on other tires I've run. I'm considering getting a set for my DH bike, and might go single ply based on how tough these are.

It was my first run, and the old tires were crap, so more time is certainly needed. Updates will come as they are available.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Is the 2.3 Muddy Mary availble with GG compound and UST compatible ?

Can't find anything about UST versions on their web site !
Id rock a non UST and make your choice as far as fr or DH, the UST does not have snakeskin sidewalls so you gain a little rubber there but a little more durability from the snakeskin so its a trade off. The USTs are great though I just run whatever and even UST I run stans so I just slap on what my mood feels like on the schwalbe arsenal :D

They all work great and they are all extremely durable in a tubeless set up, best Ive ran this way period...

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Id rock a non UST and make your choice as far as fr or DH, the UST does not have snakeskin sidewalls so you gain a little rubber there but a little more durability from the snakeskin so its a trade off. The USTs are great though I just run whatever and even UST I run stans so I just slap on what my mood feels like on the schwalbe arsenal :D

They all work great and they are all extremely durable in a tubeless set up, best Ive ran this way period...
Thanks for the feedback but that still does not tell me if the UST 2.3 is available in a GG compound ?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Muddy Mary 2.35 DH triple compound 1210g (same size as maxxis 2.5)

Muddy Mary 2.35 freeride 820g

Hey BC, love ya work great thread, always enjoy ya passion for bike and bits, Ive run Schwable on and off since early 06, Big Betty's triple comp [TC] and Goohey Gluey [GG] FRs 2.4s

always ran the GG front, and triple rear, currently switch my rear tire between TC rear with various Maxxis favs, I am a Maxxis man first and foremost I warn ya lol..

Tires to me are very subjective, to area, conditions, rider skill speed, setup etc, tires often perform quite differently depending on elevation speeds and terrain conditions, then rider.

My main reason I often use the BB is for conditions or tracks that are not so rocky, varying intermediate terrain more hard pack than true soft conditions I guess. we get allot of variation here.

That said to me the Big Betty is more of an intermediate AM/FR tire but is stable enough for me in 2.4 with tubes, I run maybe 30-32psi rear.

The reason I say this is to me the true DH tire in the range that compares with the Minion is probably the BB but since the Wikid Will is there true hard pack DH tire then the WW seems sort of in between the minion imo

The Minion esp 3C is good on true DH elevation and at speed [2ply similar weights maybe not size for size, treads different etc] yet the Minion can go into wetter conditions and softer dry conditions, to me a bit more versatile but not a direct comparison to the MM, yet MM might be more versatile again as you say.

I notice that the Yeti team [AGs bike featured recently] ran the BB rear and MM front, I guess varies for courses conditions too

That said the tire I think that fits the Muddy Mary which I also really rate and have been saying for years is under rated, and maybe well out of date compared to the MM but still a top tire is the Swampthing [SW].

My conditions may play a big factor in my love for this tire, especially as I use it up front a lot. And I'm an ex moto man so I like its mor moto profile and tread.

My fav setup is probably for dry soft and even mix of true hardpack rocks roots etc all of which I get, is the Swampthing 2.5 ST 2ply up front and 3C Minion DHF or HR 3C 2.5 or S BB rear, this really rocks for me its more moto and digs in from dry to wet, only on super soft or super wet soft muddy conditions will the Wetscream [WS] out perform it.

I have not ridden Dirty Dans so can't compare to WS, that said I rode one of our Nat DH courses a few weeks back, like you I broke my back and spine neck so I'm still coming back and still along ways off, so knowing I would be on this shuttle, I decided to run my 2.5 fr/2.2r WS, a local top pro also rides cut down WS in summer back in 07 I saw him flying down a fire road here, then he did a 30ft nose wheelie to stop in front of me, I noticed the Wetsreams and said dood its dry, he winked, never forgot it he was also running flat bars as far back as then too, haha, he knew his stuff.

So recently I modified mine doing the pro cut down mod, good enough for Gee in 08 and he had his best year better than 09, and he used em in the dry too, so I did my hack ver and they were awesome, even used em in the wet past weekend tops.

DH elevation no issue at the Nats course and with shuttle no worris about pedaling so speed and carry not really an issue, I even rode on a hardpack jump trail same day next door, still rolled really well, and I out cornered my buddy on his 2.7s in a bermed corner I ducked inside he railed the berm and went off the edge midway through, the WS ducked in on full HP no issue.

So cut down is a real potential too, maybe more like the MM, I'm sure the MM is way faster on less elevation and even on this jump trail though, so I might try a set in myself in 2.35 in coming months! Being as its so like imo the SW for an all rounder It's great to see people are cottoning on this setup finally as I been saying it for years.

Ive put up with many giggles until I get going LOL, then I'm laughing, I wouldn't have survived the Nats course on Minions period I would have had some big crashes for sure, so my setup gave me confidence and control, physical limitations held back my speed not the tires in the dry.

Another tire not Schwalble I'm keen on trying is the Continental KAISER!

Gets great reports also a big tire in 2.5 DH 2 ply compared to the Minion and quoted weights @ 2ply is 1000 grams that's impressive if true and a great tire in soft wet conditions too so I'm told.

But the Schwalbes look good this year, though like you am bummed the 40a Minions are no longer made,even though the outer knobs of the 3Cs is 40a the 3C does not feel like a full 40a s did for me, still good but up front the 40a was killer, price here is also OTT but knowing what they're like no issue buying OS online, good stuff BC keep er coming and some nice ride piccs there too :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks and yeah I agrea with alot of what you say there, The continentals are good tires my buddy rides for them and swears by them. Again he could ride anything and be fast as well as drop off anything with foam tires if he needed.
I pedalled his around a bit.

As far as the Muddy Marys though I have been from 6k descents on loam and crud to socal dust and crud and rocks too. Its the one tire I really like on front more than any other unless its really nasty then its the dans....
The rear can be swapped up more than the front based on pedaling, braking, course conditions etc... I have just had alot of luck with the MM's and its been a full proof tire, possibly like you said a cut version of the WS.

I realy have yet to find a place I wouldnt run the MM, possibly a Hard pack course with alot of pedaling in wich case Id rock WWs.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it and its good to see comparisons as well as just real thoughts on it and others... Thanks

Edited: I had to add the Continental rubber is by far the softest compound Ive ever felt. Its literally a black marshmallow, if you could harness yourself to a wall you could pedal right up it with those. LOL

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So what schwalbe tire would you recommend for pretty much a session of solid northstar and a few other races? I am thinking 2.3 MM GG.
YES!

Maximum grip and if your courses arent full of peddaly areas then without question. If you have pedaly spots and are on a tighter budget then triplwe rear as itll last longer.. As long as you have the main grip monster in the front thats the most important.

Last edited: