Quantcast

2010 specialized !

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
strange they didn't go to a 150mm rear end. How many bikes have standard 135mm rear ends? not many. last bike i rode w/ that was a GT Lobo. I was hoping they would bump the shock up to a 9.5x3 as well.

And why I wonder? If a proper chain line can be gotten with 135, then what is the point of a 150 rear other than wheel dish. or vice-versa what is the point of a 135?

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
And why I wonder? If a proper chain line can be gotten with 135, then what is the point of a 150 rear other than wheel dish. or vice-versa what is the point of a 135?
Specialized has the Demo with a 73mm shell and 135mm rear axle with a 6mm offset spacing. Given that you have a 50mm chainline up front...this would mean that your chainline is 6mm outward in the rear. This is a bad chainline.

The fix would be to either run a Truvativ setup with a 56mm Howitzer BB, or any type of Raceface 83mm crank with their reducer kit.

Specialized used to supply a 128mm ISIS BB with their original Demo bikes, which offers the correct chainline. In previous years it must just be simpler to use any 50mm chainline crankset and accept that there will be a bad chainline. An earlier thread about it...and good reading:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209800&highlight=150mm+hub&page=2

On a side note, the original idea for a 150mm rear hub was for a stronger wheel. This is dependent on the hub manufacturer, but some hubs simply use a 15mm spacer rather than take advantage of the extra width of the hub standard.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen :thumb:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Specialized has the Demo with a 73mm shell and 135mm rear axle with a 6mm offset spacing. Given that you have a 50mm chainline up front...this would mean that your chainline is 6mm outward in the rear. This is a bad chainline.

The fix would be to either run a Truvativ setup with a 56mm Howitzer BB, or any type of Raceface 83mm crank with their reducer kit.

Specialized used to supply a 128mm ISIS BB with their original Demo bikes, which offers the correct chainline. In previous years it must just be simpler to use any 50mm chainline crankset and accept that there will be a bad chainline. An earlier thread about it...and good reading:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209800&highlight=150mm+hub&page=2

On a side note, the original idea for a 150mm rear hub was for a stronger wheel. This is dependent on the hub manufacturer, but some hubs simply use a 15mm spacer rather than take advantage of the extra width of the hub standard.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen :thumb:
Thanks man!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal

Specialized used to supply a 128mm ISIS BB with their original Demo bikes, which offers the correct chainline.
So do you mean to say that they don't use the wider Truvativ BBs anymore on the Demos, and just ship the bikes with a wonky chainline? I know that my '06 Demo 8 came stock with 128mm Truvativ BB, so why would they stop spec'ing the proper BB on the newer bikes?

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
So do you mean to say that they don't use the wider Truvativ BBs anymore on the Demos, and just ship the bikes with a wonky chainline? I know that my '06 Demo 8 came stock with 128mm Truvativ BB, so why would they stop spec'ing the proper BB on the newer bikes?

2 piece cranks, external bb.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
2 piece cranks, external bb.
Nope, all the Demos ship with Truvativ cranks and Howitzer BBs, which is a 3-piece system with outboard bearings. If you'd read what philw wrote, you'd realize that the only way to make a 2-piece crank work on the Demo is with Race Face cranks and some special spacer kit they offer.

Thanks for playing.

wicked cool

Monkey
Jun 22, 2004
oh i thought that was why they stoped shipping them with any bb so the person buying can ethier choose the howitzer or the raceface

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
73mm cranksets will work with the demo. Potential issues you might encounter:

- Poor chainline, unless you run a regular hub with a 5-6-7 speed cassette mounted inboard.
- Tight clearances between the stays and the crankarms. Shimano and Truvativ cranks won't rub, but only have about a 10mm gap on each side. This also translates into rubbing your shoes on the frame.
- Not 100% sure if all chainguides will work when a 50mm chainline crankset is installed.

I am running Truvativ Stylos on my Demo 7 and have gotten used to the slight rubbing my shoe makes on the drive side seatstays. The chainline is not ideal (made more noticeable due to the 36T ring housed in a 38T bashguard) but I can live with it.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
Nope, all the Demos ship with Truvativ cranks and Howitzer BBs, which is a 3-piece system with outboard bearings. If you'd read what philw wrote, you'd realize that the only way to make a 2-piece crank work on the Demo is with Race Face cranks and some special spacer kit they offer.

Thanks for playing.
Race face make their spindle sizes 10mm bigger (so a 138mm spindle) than the norm in order to gain the ability to fine tune with 1mm/2mm spacers.
So I found running saints (a true 128mm) spindle with custom spacers was a better option for the demo - as it has a 73mm shell

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
73mm cranksets will work with the demo. Potential issues you might encounter:

- Poor chainline, unless you run a regular hub with a 5-6-7 speed cassette mounted inboard.
- Tight clearances between the stays and the crankarms. Shimano and Truvativ cranks won't rub, but only have about a 10mm gap on each side. This also translates into rubbing your shoes on the frame.
- Not 100% sure if all chainguides will work when a 50mm chainline crankset is installed.

I am running Truvativ Stylos on my Demo 7 and have gotten used to the slight rubbing my shoe makes on the drive side seatstays. The chainline is not ideal (made more noticeable due to the 36T ring housed in a 38T bashguard) but I can live with it.
As far as chainguides go, our new SRS+ and LG1+ are confirmed fit, as is older SRS's (regular angle, ISCG-OLD). 08 LG1 has a fit issue with the taco with a 50mm chainline crankset, and it is resolved with the 56/57.5 chainline cranksets.

One handed typing with busted collarbone,
Philip @ e*thirteen :thumb:

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
So the Enduro went from proprietary fork to proprietary shock? In some of the pictures the "fork" piece on the end of the shock looks built in. Good luck with replacements or upgrades.

I can't read french so I could be totally wrong...

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
So the Enduro went from proprietary fork to proprietary shock? In some of the pictures the "fork" piece on the end of the shock looks built in. Good luck with replacements or upgrades.

I can't read french so I could be totally wrong...
Yes, you are wrong. The shock is a fox shock with a piece that threads onto the shock body. That attachment piece can be fitted to almost any shock really easily.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
some more details :

http://www.singletrackworld.com/docs/Spesh2010/pageflip.html

btw,look what bikeradar stated :"Finally, there’s not much news on the big bikes yet for 2010. The SX Trail gets a slight tube straightening to better fit the latest Fox shocks, while the Demo 8 gets slacker, Sam Hill inspired geometry. Specialized hinted that something more interesting will be debuted at Crankworks in August."

any info on that ? why update the demo if something new is coming out this year?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
some more details :

http://www.singletrackworld.com/docs/Spesh2010/pageflip.html

btw,look what bikeradar stated :"Finally, there’s not much news on the big bikes yet for 2010. The SX Trail gets a slight tube straightening to better fit the latest Fox shocks, while the Demo 8 gets slacker, Sam Hill inspired geometry. Specialized hinted that something more interesting will be debuted at Crankworks in August."

any info on that ? why update the demo if something new is coming out this year?
maybe a demo with a 150mm rear end!! haha just playin:D

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Yes, you are wrong. The shock is a fox shock with a piece that threads onto the shock body. That attachment piece can be fitted to almost any shock really easily.
How would you get that on a Manitou Evolver? it has a piggyback on the shaft end with HSC/LSC adjusters. You would need a whole new piggyback bridge, not to mention the know how to rebuild a shock. The X-fusion H3 would have similar issues.
Does Specialized have adapters for all the different coil shocks with varying shaft sizes and rebound adjusters? Also, do they provide warranty's for the shocks that Fox(or another company) denies because you did both of these things that void the fox warranty? "Installation of non-genuine FOX Racing Shox parts and/or accessories", "Modification of original parts". Would be a bummer to have to pay for an unrelated warranty issue because Specialized chose to mount the shock this way, and Fox(or others) denied it because you modified it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
As far as chainguides go, our new SRS+ and LG1+ are confirmed fit, as is older SRS's (regular angle, ISCG-OLD). 08 LG1 has a fit issue with the taco with a 50mm chainline crankset, and it is resolved with the 56/57.5 chainline cranksets.

One handed typing with busted collarbone,
Philip @ e*thirteen :thumb:
OT

WHAT???????????

What the hell did you do Phil?

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
430 mm chainstay would make a big improvement.
i think is better for high speed stuff than the current length. i feel my demo sketchy.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
430 mm chainstay would make a big improvement.
i think is better for high speed stuff than the current length. i feel my demo sketchy.
I like short chainstays, but the only way to make up for its lack of stabability at hide speeds is with a long wheelbase and good suspension... something that specialized has done. In a interview flying around the internet, its stated that specialized gave hill a demo with longer chainstays and he still prefered the original short ones..

Rigger

Chimp
Jul 29, 2004
NV
I like short chainstays, but the only way to make up for its lack of stabability at hide speeds is with a long wheelbase and good suspension... something that specialized has done. In a interview flying around the internet, its stated that specialized gave hill a demo with longer chainstays and he still prefered the original short ones..
not a rumour but true...

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
Just to be clear, Sam and Brendan's bikes will be 2010 model year bikes. The geometry, sizing etc will be exactly like those guys are riding now, besides the 150mm rear ends which will not be featured on the production bikes.
Sam runs a 165mm rear end - his own admission in a local mag

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
demo 8 I - looks very good (imo) for a "budget" dh bike .
heard that the d8 II with boxxer wc and rc4 will cost 5500usd (800 less than the 09 top model !),so this should be around 3500usd ?

Attachments

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
demo 8 I - looks very good (imo) for a "budget" dh bike .
heard that the d8 II with boxxer wc and rc4 will cost 5500usd (800 less than the 09 top model !),so this should be around 3500usd ?
Looks good for a change, but will someone please kill the white components already. I'm curious if you're right on the prices, and the reason behind the change. They've typically stuck prettly close to their builds each year (IIRC) so I wonder if they took a big step down in the component level. Or it's one of a hundred different explanations - commodity prices, exchange rates, blah, blah, blah.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In general the '10 pricing is better than the '09 across the board, with lower prices for even better bikes...I think that the prices of raw materials and the desire to get people on Specialized in this "economic downturn" are the causes.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
love the white demo8-i... is that fox dhx & boxxer race as opposed to rc4 + boxxer wc on demo8-ii ?