Quantcast

2010 Totem Solo Air - Boxxer problem?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys,
I've had few rides on my 2010 Totem Solo Air last year.
It has same/similar damping system as 2010 Boxxer Team - Mission Control DH.
My Totem was kinda sticky at the beginning. After 2-3 rides during the day, it was getting smoother. But, on the next day, during parking lot ride, it felt the same - sticky.
I expected this problem to disappear after few, several rides, but it didn't happen.
I read that Boxxer Team forks used to have problems with insufficient amount of oil that lubricates bushings?
Is it possible that it's the same problem on my Totem?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Only one way to find out. ;) There are helpful service manuals on the Rock Shox website if your unfamiliar with the fork. It's possible, but I haven't read of any widespread problems with the Totem yet.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have never opened any fork, besides 2001, or so, Boxxer ;)
However, my buddy, RS service guy is going to take a look at my fork. But, I would like to be able to give him some tips, suggestions.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Go to Rockshox's website and download the PDF file for the Totem. Or try finding one on youtube. Rockshox posts that stuff now on video. My guess is that you just need to relube your lowers. I just got my 2010 Boxxer Teams and out of the box the fork was smooth, but on the safe side I pulled the lowers off and re-packed some grease in the seals and put the correct oil weights. Fork is smooth as butta.

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
I have never opened any fork, besides 2001, or so, Boxxer ;)
However, my buddy, RS service guy is going to take a look at my fork. But, I would like to be able to give him some tips, suggestions.
If he is a RS service guy then he shouldn't need and tips or suggestions:rolleyes:

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I've been having the same problem and this is not the first time I've heard of the problem.

After a considerable amount of ride time I have concluded it is not caused from the break in period.

I just ordered a speedlube kit (huge rip off and not mandatory) but oh well. I'll swap out the oil and see how that goes.

What type of grease should be used on the bushings?

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Had the same problem with my '08's.
I pulled them apart ( very easy job ) and lubed the whole lot from scratch. One thing I did notice was that the Air Chamber had no oil in it at all ( they were still at the "straight from the factory" stage ), RS says put 6ml of 15W in it. To be honest the Air Chamber lube up made a huge difference ;)
Mine also had a problem where the damper oil would leak into the lowers via the rebound seal, once I got it apart it turned out the assembly was lose. Tightened it all up and problem solved. The oil loss caused the floodgate to stop working ( no oil in the circuit ), so if it stops working then drop the speed lube bolt and see how much oil comes out- more than 20 or so ml's is not good. Also if you are riding down a section and hitting step downs, jumps etc and the front feels really hard when through its travel you may be experiencing what I did. Turned out the leaking damper caused the oil to fill the lowers ( 137ml's in there ) causing the fork to hydraulic :eek:. Thank goodness I knew what that feeling meant :)

Oh yeah, and the air pressure chart is crap. Drop the pressures about 5psi on average and use those nice shiny blue compression knobs ;)

HTH

:thumb:

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
pull fork apart, judy butter or red rum on solo air piston seal, oil in air chamber, prep-m (convenient w/ needle injector) or "slick honey" between dust wiper and oil seal, fresh lube oil in the lowers.

it'll be smoooooooooooth.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have the 2010 Coil DH and my daper side stanchion started changing colour slightly, I ripped em apart and they had sweet FA grease in them and no oil at all in the spring side lower. They feel much better now but I'm still not happy, I paid a small fortune and feel slightly ripped off.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was thinking the exact same thing??
Sir, You have obviously not been to Poland ;) If you know someone around here than prolly you can find a good service but some distributors/shops would be better off if they hired monkeys.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It seems the problem is solved :) Upper seals were dry as Gobi desert :| and the amount or redroom(?) (or however it's called) was a bit low. Everything was fix and the fork feels much better now. It is, probably, not butter-smooth, yet.
Next test run, San Remo :)

duplex

Chimp
Jan 27, 2010
my 2010 boxxer team felt sticky and not supple on the small stuff. Pulled out the lowers today, changed the oil, 40ml to coil side and 10ml to rebound side, greased the seals and now the fork is smooth as butter.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
It seems the problem is solved :) Upper seals were dry as Gobi desert :| and the amount or redroom(?) (or however it's called) was a bit low. Everything was fix and the fork feels much better now. It is, probably, not butter-smooth, yet.
Next test run, San Remo :)
Did you put some oil in the air chamber ? :)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
No, we didn't pull apart air chamber, if I understand correctly. He only refilled what leaked from the bottom, when he disassembled lowers.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
No, we didn't pull apart air chamber, if I understand correctly. He only refilled what leaked from the bottom, when he disassembled lowers.
Seriously, undo the top cap on the chamber side and shine a light in there. If it has oil in it then put it back together and ride, no oil - then put some in ( 6ml 15wt ), really helps the piston work nice and smooth ;)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Oh, now, when You describe the procedure, I am able to confirm that he did put oil there ;)
I am suspension dummy, unfortunately :|

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I have a 2009 Totem Solo Air and had the same problem. Same thing...seals where dry. Works great now! I rock it at Diablo and Platty. Holds up great!

Tom

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I my gosh, it turns into a thread ;)
My first, 2007 Totem Solo Air was quite OK, from smoothness point if view but I had to replace bushings and upper seals after a week in Morzine :|
I hope this time it will be better :)

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I my gosh, it turns into a thread ;)
My first, 2007 Totem Solo Air was quite OK, from smoothness point if view but I had to replace bushings and upper seals after a week in Morzine :|
I hope this time it will be better :)
I believe that RS has upgraded the seals since '07 so you should be rockin :thumb: