Quantcast

2010 World Chamionships Mont Sainte-Anne - Live Thread

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
first time I've "watched" a race from an internet forum. I gotta say I'm pretty excited!

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Is that Steve Smiths first podium at worlds/world cup level?

So was the rain that bad, say like 5-7 seconds bad or did Sam have a real killer run?

Either way he held his cards pretty close to his chest the last week or so!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Anyone who says Sam had the same conditions as Greg, Gee and Steve is talking out of their ass.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Amazing Steve Smith held it with the mistake at the end. Great for him. Both watching him at Windham live and on the computer he looks relaxed on the bike like he is not going fast at all - I only mean this as a something positive.

Hill back after an injury - nice I can go back to being a fan boy again :-)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Going back to the juniors, I think Lew Buchanan had a crash in the top section. He lost by 9 seconds, and 8 seconds of that was in the top split, and I think I just saw it on the crash-compilation that freecaster are showing at the moment. They don't broadcast juniors, but I think the cameras are on and filming.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
We can thank Mother Nature for a winter full of alternating internet fights and circle jerks over the results and how the rain played a part.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Wow- I'm a little bummed that the top guys didn't get more of a "fair" shot. I wanted to see how Gwin could stack up, but I'm definately psyched for Hill! Thanks to everyone for updating!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Wow- I'm a little bummed that the top guys didn't get more of a "fair" shot. I wanted to see how Gwin could stack up, but I'm definately psyched for Hill! Thanks to everyone for updating!
Steve and Greg still had the fastest speeds at at 64.4 and 64.1K respectively, Sam was back in in 24th w/ a 61.5.

And let's give the boy some credit, how many times has he come down last in the worst conditions and smokes the field? Tore his ACL right before the season started, blew his shoulder up at Ft. William, blah, blah blah. . . . pretty f'ing impressive.

Great to see Stevie Smith ride up to his potential and his 'quali' splits for a change!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
random thoughts:

feed was perfect for me and worth $6.

nice to see gwin up there - it's funny reading a few comments here about how he wouldn't be a contender, then watching the pro interviews and every one of them puts gwin as a real possibility with his only real weakness being his lack of experience.

props to steve smith - great run and nice recovery to go 2nd.

can't wait for the freecaster 2010 dvd to be available.

godammit greg herbold bugs the sh!t out of me.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Was happy to pay to watch, but must admit I was a bit disappointed after all the talk of so many cameras on course. 3/4 of the track was never shown, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all the high speed nastiness that makes Ste Anne what it is. . . missed opportunity really

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
godammit greg herbold bugs the sh!t out of me.
Then everything you say is tainted with stupid. If you knew about the innovations Herbold brought (and still brings!) to downhill technology, you'd shut your tween mouth.

His racing years aside, he pushed technology back when there was little to be pushed.

Forgot to add: ;)

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Was happy to pay to watch, but must admit I was a bit disappointed after all the talk of so many cameras on course. 3/4 of the track was never shown, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all the high speed nastiness that makes Ste Anne what it is. . . missed opportunity really
This. Missed viewing indeed - why we were stuck with a taped delay feed as riders made it to the first split is strange.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Then everything you say is tainted with stupid. If you knew about the innovations Herbold brought (and still brings!) to downhill technology, you'd shut your tween mouth.

His racing years aside, he pushed technology back when there was little to be pushed.

Forgot to add: ;)
What does that have to do with being bugged by the guy? Just because he does a lot doesn't mean he can't annoy somebody.

I don't care about Sam winning, although good job. Steve Smith is the story here. What a goddam beast! Could this be the return (w/ Gwin) of NA racers to the podium?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

and you know how long i've been following dh racing and how old i am how, exactly? that's what i thought.

just because the guy bugs me doesn't mean i don't respect what he's brought to this sport and even though i respect what he's done doesn't mean i have to like listening to him talk.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
great race to watch...sOOOoo how much time do you guys think Stevie Smith lost at the bottom ? 1-2 sec ? Enough to loose it or perhaps he would have taken it ? Either I say this is going to give him a big confidence boost for next year...GAME ON !!!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
great race to watch...sOOOoo how much time do you guys think Stevie Smith lost at the bottom ? 1-2 sec ? Enough to loose it or perhaps he would have taken it ? Either I say this is going to give him a big confidence boost for next year...GAME ON !!!
That was a checkers-or-wreckers move w/o a doubt. Had he stuck that, he would have gained time. I'd say he let 2-3 seconds go with the bull-ride (way to ride that sh*t out - what a beast!!!), so probably a 4-5 second swing.

That's racing!

As far as the rain effecting the top guys, I don't think it was that much different - at worse, it made some riders stick to the conventional lines would be my guess. Of course, as it potentially could be pointed out, I wasn't there. ;)

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Rain must've looked worse on camera. I was trackside and it was never more than a gentle shower. Sam would've won anyway IMO. 2.6s is a big gap.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
and you know how long i've been following dh racing and how old i am how, exactly? that's what i thought.

just because the guy bugs me doesn't mean i don't respect what he's brought to this sport and even though i respect what he's done doesn't mean i have to like listening to him talk.
(I meant my post in a more lighthearted manner, which is why I added the ;) . I often forget that downhill discussion on the internet is Serious Business.)

Fair enough, though it may help to qualify your comments when you say someone "bugs the sh!t" out of you. Like, in a general sense, or you just don't like the way he talks? Because there are a few top stars today who talk like they have permanent speech impairment due to head injury.

But who wouldn't think Herbold is annoying next to a measured and engaging color man like Warner. What a treat he is! We get recycled one-liners, homophobic jokes, and general microphone drool from a guy who has trouble remembering who just left the start gate.

In a general sense, I assume posters here have a very limited exposure to downhill history. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
But who wouldn't think Herbold is annoying next to a measured and engaging color man like Warner. What a treat he is! We get recycled one-liners, homophobic jokes, and general microphone drool from a guy who has trouble remembering who just left the start gate.
To be fair that Wayne Croasdale story was pretty funny.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Wow. I can't believe Sam won it. Especially after having to take so much time off and not really being 100%. That's one hell of a way to finish a season that seemed depressing for him.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Rain must've looked worse on camera. I was trackside and it was never more than a gentle shower. Sam would've won anyway IMO. 2.6s is a big gap.
I'm shooting blind here. Haven't seen a thing of the vid, just you guys comments. Maybe the rain was on a different section of the course than where you were. I can only imagine how friggin' big that mountain must be to be that open and still such a long track time wise.

Kinda stinks that I didn't get to see it and that there is a "cloud" over the victor since in Worlds there is no "rain tactic" like in the Cup races. That's IF that were the case. If the top guys say the rain was the same for them all, then good on gimpy the Aus.:thumb:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I was there and talked to quite a few people who were spread up and down the course, and from about the womens final on-wards, it was just on and off steady rain. No downpours. Anyone who thinks it down-poured after Sams' run and before the final 3 is talking out of their ass.

Sam without a doubt deserved this win, But Stevie Smiths 2nd place was THE best.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
To be fair that Wayne Croasdale story was pretty funny.
I did like the old guy stories. Great racing all around though. Just wish they'd show the "test" feeds from the junior races.

It really wasn't my intent to offend anyone here. I get worked up when my early idols get brushed aside for the new hotness. Apologies, beers, cheers, etc.

Great to see Sam Hill smile. I can't imagine the pressure he feels each race; I take him for someone who's devoted his life to the sport to such an extent that success in it solely defines him.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Yeah its such a shame he got bucked by that Revolt. That DW Delta bronko link quite probably cost him the gold... :rolleyes:

Nice one Sam Hill, Troy Brosnan and well done to Specialized for 2 World Champs today.

4 Brits in the Top 8 in the mens too, sweet.

Especially well done to our girl Tracy for her first gold!