Quantcast

2010 World Chamionships Mont Sainte-Anne - Live Thread

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm slow on the uptake... but just noticed that both Troy and Neko's times were well inside the top 20 for Elite men, and I'm pretty sure both of them have another year in jnrs. Props to both.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I was there and talked to quite a few people who were spread up and down the course, and from about the womens final on-wards, it was just on and off steady rain. No downpours. Anyone who thinks it down-poured after Sams' run and before the final 3 is talking out of their ass.

Sam without a doubt deserved this win, But Stevie Smiths 2nd place was THE best.
Haha knowing Sam, if it had rained for him he probably would have increased his margin. That guy doesn't seem affected by the conditions at all.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I was there and talked to quite a few people who were spread up and down the course, and from about the womens final on-wards, it was just on and off steady rain. No downpours. Anyone who thinks it down-poured after Sams' run and before the final 3 is talking out of their ass.
Well one minute the start ramp was almost dry and the next it was soaked. Imagine the difference in vision between riding the open sections under the lift dry V's pouring with rain.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Well one minute the start ramp was almost dry and the next it was soaked. Imagine the difference in vision between riding the open sections under the lift dry V's pouring with rain.
Just stating what I heard. I was at the bottom of the hill at the finish line, and it was on and off rain all day.

As my first World Championship experience, I cant say im disappointed!!!

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
My take...

I got to see the entire feed not one glitch. We sure didn't get 14 cameras like I think I heard they had. Would be nice to have seen more of the track. Didn't mind paying though was still a great race.

I can listen to Rob and it's cool people are dropping in and out to add to the commentary. Stik did good, but not as good as his wife. Congrats to her. Speaking of the women Tracy M ripped it. 12+ seconds I think when she came down.

Don't know if the rain played a part for the final guys or not. I don't think it looked completely dry all day, but definitley started coming down at the end. I don't think any of those guys after Hill would blame it on the rain though. S Smith hanging on to his bike was amazing. Would have certainly been closer had he been clean through there. I can't believe more didn't go down there. I knew somebody was gonna do what I think (Delfs?) did. Damn that looked as bad as any of those crashes in the woods.

Great race to watch. Don't think any of the top guys would lay it off to the weather I think Hill just had one of his "on" races, and it happened to be the world's. Glad I got to see it.

I watched this race and most of the NBL Grands live from Ky and did it from my office on OT because nobody else wanted to mess up their long weekend. $$$ Cool with that.

Is it 7 months until the next race?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I can't believe more didn't go down there. I knew somebody was gonna do what I think (Delfs?) did. Damn that looked as bad as any of those crashes in the woods.
Very happy that Delfs stood up from that one. It looked a bit nasty. You can tell a bad crash when the claustrophobia sets in and you want to rip the brain bucket off ASAP.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Stikman, well done in the comentary booth today by the way.
Good job by HB, Rockwell (mildly drunk as he was) and everyone who jumped in.

Gracia noticeably absent. The French men's contingent needs Gracia and Vouilloz to be complete.

And, I repeat: Is everyone over Kyle Strait yet?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Stikman was indeed very good in the booth. Whitely is always good too.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Good job by HB, Rockwell (mildly drunk as he was) and everyone who jumped in.

Gracia noticeably absent. The French men's contingent needs Gracia and Vouilloz to be complete.

over him? wtf are you talking about? he's a dude who races his bike fast. He's not pushing the top 10, but, who cares, he goes fast enough to do decently in WC's.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
over him? wtf are you talking about? he's a dude who races his bike fast. He's not pushing the top 10, but, who cares, he goes fast enough to do decently in WC's.
If he were allowed to still race in the junior class, maybe.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Also was trackside, went from top to bottom. Never more than a gentle shower for 5 mintutes than sun than another shower.

Absolutely nothing of a downpour!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Also was trackside, went from top to bottom. Never more than a gentle shower for 5 mintutes than sun than another shower.

Absolutely nothing of a downpour!
as a professional armchair jocky, you're clearly full of sh1t. sam hill couldn't possibly have won that if it wasn't for the weather! not only are you wrong, you're also display some terrible moral turpitude for even suggesting that he just rode better.

:thumb:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Something that bears mentioning: The UCI did a pretty bad job putting cameras on that course. You really only see a couple hundred meters at the top and then the last 25% (or less) of the track, where they seemed to have a camera every 50m. There's a huge open section just above where the cameras picked up 'live action', that could have been covered with one or two cameras and was FILLED with steep, rough riding, huge jumps, and tons of insane spectators (myself and Socket being a couple of them). I just really can't believe the official footage was such a tiny sampling of the course!

:-/

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

Interesting that you mention Gracia (positively) and Strait (negatively) in the same post. With Gracia out, Strait was easily the biggest crowd pleaser of the day. In front of the biggest and rowdiest section of spectators on the course, Strait threw a MASSIVE whip on the hip/stepdown that sent the crowd into delirium, then went huge off the ramp just below it.

Given that Strait and Gracia have won approximately the same number of races over the last 3-4 years and you're apparently a big fan of Cedric, it seems like you'd have some appreciation for what Kyle brings to the sport.

Yet he is still faster than a majority of the other pro riders from the US. Maybe the US should give up racing our bikes and just all start freeriding.:rolleyes:
Now you're just being a douche.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Yet he is still faster than a majority of the other pro riders from the US. Maybe the US should give up racing our bikes and just all start freeriding.:rolleyes:
Maybe he should stick to freeriding, I guess. What are his DH palmares, nationally or internationally?

Interesting that you mention Gracia (positively) and Strait (negatively) in the same post. With Gracia out, Strait was easily the biggest crowd pleaser of the day. In front of the biggest and rowdiest section of spectators on the course, Strait threw a MASSIVE whip on the hip/stepdown that sent the crowd into delirium, then went huge off the ramp just below it.

Given that Strait and Gracia have won approximately the same number of races over the last 3-4 years and you're apparently a big fan of Cedric, it seems like you'd have some appreciation for what Kyle brings to the sport.
His glory days are over, but Gracia used to win races. Not a particularly big fan of his, but for the French federation to leave him off the team seemed odd.

Very happy to hear that Strait was wowing the crowd. Maybe we need *more* riders like straight, I guess, to keep fans interested. I browsed a bit through his racing results, though, and there's not much there of note, particularly at the WC level (feel free to correct me, I spent a few years away from the sport). Maybe this will change - he's still young, and has apparently renewed a focus on racing.

Summary: I appreciate his panache, but I've yet to see a timing system that shaves off seconds for style.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Thanks for the kind words regarding my wife run (so proud of her) and the freecaster comments...didn't quite go the way I had planned with hb stealing the Mic, but whatever...I also wish there were more camera, kinda got the shaft on that.

You Ridemonkey fans rule.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
So am I correct saying that filmers were only permitted to have an edit 3 minutes long and only permitted to film in certain areas of the course?
If this is the case was there an official UCI filming guy who will release better footage than freecaster and thats longer than 3 minutes?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for the kind words regarding my wife run (so proud of her) and the freecaster comments...didn't quite go the way I had planned with hb stealing the Mic, but whatever...I also wish there were more camera, kinda got the shaft on that.

You Ridemonkey fans rule.
HB is an old man you should have man wrestled the mic from him.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, whoever that guy was with the yellow cross on his back that ate it in the rock garden................he's gotta be hurtin. That was a straight schwap to his back, and it didn't look like he had any armor on. Dayum.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man, whoever that guy was with the yellow cross on his back that ate it in the rock garden................he's gotta be hurtin. That was a straight schwap to his back, and it didn't look like he had any armor on. Dayum.
Yellow cross well there is a pretty good reason for that. Its Robin Wallner and I am pretty sure he is wearing the Swedish national colors jersey. Their flag like all the Scandinavian flags has a cross. Now you also know why every Ikea is blue and yellow. Robin is 2010 European champ.

Cycling News has a good World Champs write up with interviews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mountain-bike-world-championships-cm-1/elite-men-downhill/results

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
So am I correct saying that filmers were only permitted to have an edit 3 minutes long and only permitted to film in certain areas of the course?
If this is the case was there an official UCI filming guy who will release better footage than freecaster and thats longer than 3 minutes?
On the DIRT website there is a SC Syndicate clip. As I understand it, the UCI wanted Euro 800 from each videographer to have access to the course and then they only allowed access to the lower part of it.

If this is true and taking into account the somewhat sparse number of cameras on course, in my opinion its fair to say the UCI is doing to opposite of fostering the sport.

I didnt put up my cash for access to Freecaster for this event - it was at 4am on a Monday morning and I'm getting over the flu. Notwithstanding I have been disapointed of late with the Freecaster feeds and that a viewer gets to watch 20-30 seconds of each riders run and some of that isnt even live but prerecorded at the qualis (correct me if I'm wrong) and inserted in the race run. I know they make a comment from the box declaring the fact but its pretty lame.

I appreciate that Freecaster is a good thing, but they are being hampered by a lack of funding and from what I can garner, a UCI body that is using its monopoly over the sport as a way to restrict the public from seeing the event in favour of $$$.

The SC video made mention of the event being on Eurosport....I surfed over there to find two pictures of Tracy and Samuel. There was enough video and photography to make your eyes bleed on the Euro Pro Road Tours but the MTB Worlds - two pictures. Lame.

This is not an environment where the sport will grow. Its an environment that will suffocate the sport and return it to the back waters its just managed to pull itself out of.

The teams and viewers need to start lobbying on this. This is far more important on whether skin suits are banned or 4X racers must wear full face helmets.

Rant over.

Stoked for Sam. :thumb:

Edit: please consider a post over on monkeyfcukers "a point well made?" with a lot of double but hopefully something to add...

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Hot damn! I can't believe hill won! That is literally the most impressive victory I have ever seen.
just goes to show theres a total reason Rob calls him the dangerman, there really isnt a accurate way to count Hill out and is probably the one guy one everyones minds at every race. Not to say people dont worry about Steve ro Greg or Gee just that theres one dude that will put time into a run that no one imagines is possible. The kids got major talent and is finally loosening up a bit for the camera's which is good. He certainly seems to be having more fun on his bike as of recent.

Like everyone else says, still cannot believe he's WC. gnarly, and to the people that say what if about Stevie. What if Sam hadnt crashed al Val Di Sole, what if he didnt crash at Ft.Bill, what if he didnt crash during the off-season, what if peaty didnt crash at Windham. That's racing.

...and Troy, damn did he kill it this, his forst year. World Cup Champion, World Champ. Sounds like another Hill in the making.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yellow cross well there is a pretty good reason for that. Its Robin Wallner and I am pretty sure he is wearing the Swedish national colors jersey. Their flag like all the Scandinavian flags has a cross. Now you also know why every Ikea is blue and yellow. Robin is 2010 European champ.

Cycling News has a good World Champs write up with interviews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-mountain-bike-world-championships-cm-1/elite-men-downhill/results
Thanks, I'm not up to par with the countries and their flags. I only know the ones the top guys are wearing. :rolleyes:

Good article.

Anybody know what happened to Ropelato? I didn't see any talk about him or what happened.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
i cant believe that no one has made the real connection yet on how sam won.....

clearly knowing that without a speed suit aero advantage he may be at a disadvantage, he faked a shoulder injury by slamming his proto bike with a large hammer. Using this "recovery time" he had a stainless steel wind deflection unit implanted in the center of his face just below his bottom lip. boom! Instant World Champ. thank very much guy, hope your questions have been answered

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
The SC video made mention of the event being on Eurosport....I surfed over there to find two pictures of Tracy and Samuel. There was enough video and photography to make your eyes bleed on the Euro Pro Road Tours but the MTB Worlds - two pictures. Lame.
Eurosport only cares about 985st ranked tennisplayers games... Every channel you put is on, and it's always the ****ing tennis :rant: