Quantcast

2010 X9 derailleur...chain flies out

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with these...on a 2010 X9 short cage my chain flies out of the split between the two pieces that hold the pulleys together (near the lower pulley). This design is horrible! The chain started flying out on my first run with it at Massanutten over that first rock garden. Has anyone found a work around for this? Thanks...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
this happened to me and twice to my team mate jason in california, but have not had it happen in a few months.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Havent dropped a chain but the alignment is goofy we adjusted it a couple times its still sounds like its inbetween shifts and not all the time just periodically....
Makes a clickety noise like its not on the pulley or half off of it... (lower pulley)
nah i think it has to do with the chain being a bit short and it being in the highest gear and bottoming out. thats when it happened to me. came hott into a section and quickly up shifted to the easiest gear to pedal up a big hill and it bond up and almost threw me over the bars.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
nah i think it has to do with the chain being a bit short and it being in the highest gear and bottoming out. thats when it happened to me. came hott into a section and quickly up shifted to the easiest gear to pedal up a big hill and it bond up and almost threw me over the bars.
LOL I know that feeling..... No I have plenty of chain now (I did that one 2 years ago) no this does it under minor load and any gear... mainly on the higher and no suspension squat. Just pedalling along and then hammer down it goes at it, sometimes I shift and it gets ratchety then I shift up or down then back to that gear and its just fine...

I like shimano it never binds and I can set the drag to accomodate a wide range of fish!!! Plus its easy to lube and tune after fishing saltwater...

But on the bike its sram! :thumb:

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sounds to me like you've got a derailleur cable that has either a funky bend in it or is twisting an odd direction when your suspension cycles up and down.
My trail bike does it if the cable is not an EXACT certan length.

But you're saying it's in the mechanics of the derailleur...??

This thread needs pics and arrows.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Sounds to me like you've got a derailleur cable that has either a funky bend in it or is twisting an odd direction when your suspension cycles up and down.
My trail bike does it if the cable is not an EXACT certan length.

But you're saying it's in the mechanics of the derailleur...??

This thread needs pics and arrows.
It needs circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explainin' what each one was.