Quantcast

2011 Boxxer R2C2 question

ben

Chimp
Mar 8, 2011
i purchased this fork 2 weeks ago and i am not sure if it is defective or not. i turn both the low speed compression and high speed compression to maximum and i don't feel any difference in resistance. maximum is just as soft as when both low speed and high speed compression are set to minimum. is this normal for boxxer r2c2? my previous fork was a domain rc and when i turn the compression to maximum i can hardly push the handlebar down. i brought this boxxer to the country distributor and the mechanic told me to turn the bottomout resistance harder if i want more compression. is he correct?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
the mechanic told me to turn the bottomout resistance harder if i want more compression. is he correct?
What the hell should the bottom out have to do with compression damping?

You have to feel a difference between the low speed comp fully open and closed. There must be more resistance if the low speed is fully closed.
I think there is something wrong with the cartridge.

Last edited:

ben

Chimp
Mar 8, 2011
that is what i thought of too. maybe they just don't want to change the defective parts on my bike

gstylie

Chimp
May 1, 2011
my fork is acting the same way. i've only been on a few rides, but it's feeling pretty soft. i got it aftermarket, medium spring. i'm only 140lbs, have both compressions maxed, bottom out maxed, rebounds fully fast, and i blow through the travel pretty easily. use all but an inch or so of travel. i think something is not right. anyone else have this issue. my friend is on an RC and his is much stiffer than mine.

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
Did you ever find out what the problem was??? After pulling the lowers off mine in the weekend and putting in fresh grease and oil, I have noticed that the compression dials are not doing anything but they were working fine before hand. I really hope this is not going to cause a problem and is just a simple fix.

Any info from others who have encountered this problem would be much appreciated.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you pulled the lowers properly, you should have NO problems with compression. The compression assembly is completely separate from the spring, bottom out, even the rebound. Did you remove the compression head? Maybe do that and see if you have any oil left in it. Perhaps you damaged the rebound head when you reassembled it, and the compression oil leaked into the fork lowers.

Sound really weird either way, but in my experience the compression and honestly for the most part the rebound were totally separated from the fork lowers.

gstylie

Chimp
May 1, 2011
since my fork was new, i sent it back for a warranty job. it works fine now. the guy at the shop that sent it away couldn't remember what they fixed...but it works! sorry i couldn't give any additional info.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have the same problem with compression, both LSC/HSC not working.
i did the oil height and it did nothing.. So i tried to change the shim stack.
That didnt work, still the same so i'm thinking, higher oil weigth or shims the small spring so it gets stiffer or harder...
i wish my gf could do that :(

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
The 2010+ boxxer seems to be far more subtle than the old ones in terms of adjustment. You can't lock them out by closing out the LSC (it doesn't totally off close the orifice).

You also need a reasonable amount of HSC in order to feel any LSC. The HSC adjuster changes the preload on a shimstack and it's pretty light until you have a good number of clicks wound on (like 9 clicks). With little preload the shims bend really easily and you don't get to feel much/any of the low speed part of the damping curve.

I just got a 2010 world cup so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

ignitor

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
I ended up sending my forks to the local sram guys and they couldn't find what was wrong that was causing lsc/hsc to not work so they put in a new cartridge.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't replace the cartridge under warranty/for free as even though I am the second owner of the forks, they are still only the 2011 model and about 6-7 months old.