Quantcast

2011 boxxer team (R2C2) steerer tube?

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
This might sound stupid but, i tried bulding up my Glory today with the R2C2 and couldn't get the fork steerer all the way through so that the the bottom of the head tube rests on the fork's lower crown... checked the steerer tube and the circumference is 90mm near the lower crown where it is attached while the rest of the steerer (about 1.5 inches and above) is 85mm...

Can someone tell me if this is normal? i know Boxxer's only come in 1-1/8...Thanks for the help.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Did you install the fork race on the fork first? its the bottom part of the headset that you have to pound down onto the steer tube before installing it. Google "fork race" for a pic if you dont know what im talking about.

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Did you install the fork race on the fork first? its the bottom part of the headset that you have to pound down onto the steer tube before installing it. Google "fork race" for a pic if you dont know what im talking about.
Being new to tapered head tubes i totally forgot about the crown race...duh! Thanks for reminding me about it...

However, these are the only pieces that came with the frame...and I don't see any crown race... just 3 carbon spacers, starnut, bolt, stem cap, 2 cartridge bearings, etc..

Secondly, the distance from the bottom of the head tube and lower crown is about 3/4 of an inch...

Am I missing something here? never owned a boxxer before nor a frame with a tapered HT... (never owned a glory before either...)

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
are you saying that the O.D. of the steerer is contacting the I.D. of the head tube with that head tube - lower crown gap you have in the second picture?
I don't think that's possible.

Isn't that the crown race (black) in the right hand side of the first pic, underneath one of the cartridge bearings? Sure as hell looks like it.

Last edited:

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
are you saying that the O.D. of the steerer is contacting the I.D. of the head tube with that head tube - lower crown gap you have in the second picture?
I don't think that's possible.

Isn't that the crown race (black) in the right hand side of the first pic, underneath one of the cartridge bearings? Sure as hell looks like it.
No no, i mean..for example, i try to put regular spacers (e.g., the carbon ones that came with the frame)..they don't go all the way down the steerer tube to rest on the upper crown...

In this pic you will notice the carbon spacer stopping about 2-3 inches above the lower crown... The crown race you are referring to on the other hand sits about 3/4 of an inch above... alright, I get it if this is the crown race then i have to force it down the steerer til it rests on the lower crown... sorry not used to seeing black flimsy plasticky pieces for crown races...much less very big ones... i thought that piece was to cover the lower cartrige bearing to seal the headset tight

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like the crown race isn't pressed on all the way. Maybe double check that it's right side up (which it appears to be in your last photo). Greasing the steerer will make the race easier to install and prevent it from being a creaky POS. :)

I think you're almost there- let's see some pics of that thing when you're done!

... and yes, that's normal for the steerer to taper like that. It's stronger than having a sharp step up to the slightly larger diameter of the crown race seat.

... and the crown race is so big because it has to adapt a 1-1/8" steerer to a 1-1/2 lower headtube.

Last edited:

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Looks like the crown race isn't pressed on all the way. Maybe double check that it's right side up (which it appears to be in your last photo). Greasing the steerer will make the race easier to install and prevent it from being a creaky POS. :)

I think you're almost there- let's see some pics of that thing when you're done!
Thanks..just thought it wierd that the steerer O.D. is not exactly the same throughout it's entire length... wasn't/ isn't the case with all the other forks iv'e owned..

anyway..thanks for all the help in here. cheers.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
... sorry not used to seeing black flimsy plasticky pieces for crown races...
Kinda suprised that it seems flimsy- maybe someone knows if these use some sort of plastic for the lower crown race, but to me, it looks like aluminum.

Just be sure to press it on evenly, with grease and you should be good to go.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Thanks..just thought it wierd that the steerer O.D. is not exactly the same throughout it's entire length... wasn't/ isn't the case with all the other forks iv'e owned..

anyway..thanks for all the help in here. cheers.
All steerers are like that, you might not have noticed before - the larger diameter bit at the bottom is for the race to be press-fit onto (and yes it is a press fit, will need to be hammered on with the appropriate tools). If the whole steerer was that diameter you'd spend about half an hour just belting the crown race down it.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
If the whole steerer was that diameter you'd spend about half an hour just belting the crown race down it.
hahah, yeah, that would suck!

btw, have you ever seen a crown race that wasn't metal?

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
hahah, yeah, that would suck!

btw, have you ever seen a crown race that wasn't metal?
Sorry..got used to seeing metallic/steel colored crown races... and when i saw the black piece (the actual crown race) i immediately thought it was some kind of hard plastic to seal the headset...my bad...

bike is still missing a few parts (cranks, cables, etc..)... so it stays put in the dining room floor for now..

it's nothing fancy really... chose the 2010 glory model coz i like the colorway better than the 2011's...

Will be trying out the Boxxer after being on a 40 for some time...maybe understand the whole which is better debate myself... will be trying out 4 piston brakes for the first time too (used to be on elixir's, which felt great except in very long and rocky descents)... swapped the ztr flow's in favor of the new syncros DS 32's.. just checking how it performs after dropping a considerable amount of weight from the previous DPS32 model... Flow's might become a FRO set

Oh, and immedately changed the spring to 350...stock spring was 450 (small frame), which i'm sure is a little bit too hard for my small, 150'ish pound build

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sorry..got used to seeing metallic/steel colored crown races... and when i saw the black piece (the actual crown race) i immediately thought it was some kind of hard plastic to seal the headset...my bad...

bike is still missing a few parts (cranks, cables, etc..)... so it stays put in the dining room floor for now..

it's nothing fancy really... chose the 2010 glory model coz i like the colorway better than the 2011's...

Will be trying out the Boxxer after being on a 40 for some time...maybe understand the whole which is better debate myself... will be trying out 4 piston brakes for the first time too (used to be on elixir's, which felt great except in very long and rocky descents)... swapped the ztr flow's in favor of the new syncros DS 32's.. just checking how it performs after dropping a considerable amount of weight from the previous DPS32 model... Flow's might become a FRO set

Oh, and immedately changed the spring to 350...stock spring was 450 (small frame), which i'm sure is a little bit too hard for my small, 150'ish pound build

Your bike looks great- makes me want to get a fresh new one! Doesn't seem like I've seen many of the new Giants without a 40 for whatever reason. I bet it will be pretty light with the stans.