Quantcast

2011 codes and boxxer team's

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Anyone with ride time on the new codes and boxxer team? How do you like them and how are they different performance-wise versus the previous models?

I know the new code is vastly different from the current model but the new Team only has a few changes to it (knobs design, etc..)

It's now available where I'm at and cheaper than expected at that... So before they fly off the shelves or increase in price I would like to get one of each...

Thanks

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I met a guy in AdH in July who had new Codes R on his old Glory. He was happy with the brakes, but hasn't have any experience with current (old) model.

I am also interested in mentioned components, coz I wanna replace my front Elixir with new Code and get 2011 Boxxer Team and rebuild it with 2011 WC internals...

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I threw the new code r's on my trail bike. they seem to work really well for the price. Definitely a huge difference over the old code. i just hated those levers. The old codes didn't seem to modulate very well either. This whole season i was on an elixir cr lever/code caliper combo and honestly the code r's feel pretty much the same. I haven't really thought about it to me honest bc it does feel about the same. The price is awesome too

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
I threw the new code r's on my trail bike. they seem to work really well for the price. Definitely a huge difference over the old code. i just hated those levers. The old codes didn't seem to modulate very well either. This whole season i was on an elixir cr lever/code caliper combo and honestly the code r's feel pretty much the same. I haven't really thought about it to me honest bc it does feel about the same. The price is awesome too
Running Elixir CR's right now and they have been great for me... Thinking the new codes would be a notch higher being taper bore now like the elixir's plus having beefy calipers...

As for the new team... I've never had any experience with boxxer's and reviews on the current one's haven't been great... Just thinking of trying them out for a change and see if there really is an advantage to 35mm stanchions (e.g., slightly more forgiving ride for the arms perhaps as some riders say)...

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I'll let you know round wednesday and thursday what I think about the 2011 codes, they will be here then, and immediately put on and gravity runs.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I hope new Codes will have all the advantages of Elixirs plus more power :)

It's cheaper to get a Team and replace the spring w/air parts vs buying a WC.
Word! Especially, while You can get 2011 OEM Boxxer Team from friendly factory ;) and internals from friendly Sram employee and have it rebuild by friendly RS service guy :)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I got set from SRAM a few weeks ago. Waiting for my new frame to get here, hopefully end of this week. I'm coming off of 2008/2009 codes so I will be able to give you all a very nice comparison soon :)

cadosomnium

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Both the 2011 codes and Boxxer's have been available here for a couple for weeks now...then again i'm close to Taiwan so i guess the ship stops here first..lol

I hope RS has resolved the bad casting issue from first production 2010's.... scrutinizing the 2011 one's I can definitely say that the build/ finish is below that of my 09 fox 40... I don't mind bad aesthetics though as long as it performs great and lasts...

I have the items reserved at my LBS pending reviews from you guys... thanks

Last edited:

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I have a few days on my 2011 Codes. I ran the Specialized Code Mag CR's most of the year, (Elixxer Levers to Code Calipers) and had the 08 and 09 problematic Codes.

The new Codes have TONS of power, great feel and OK modulation. They are a little grabby for my liking, but I want to play around with different pad combinations. The one thing I can say is the new brakes are CONSISTENT. No brake fade, even when running Whistler top to bottom.

I think these are a huge improvement over the old ones and a more durable brake than the Speshi's ones I had. (they used the XX levers that were SUPER light, but broke really easily).

OH, you can swap the pads from the top like the Elixxers, BIG IMPROVEMENT.